Long Distance Charges for Toll Free number call to ASUS

J2014
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

How is everyone? I am sharing my experiences with all FIDO customer. Two weeks ago I bought an ASUS router @ Best Buy. I called the ASUS Toll Free number for Technical Support. I receive my Fido bill yesterday by mail @ 12:06 PM and I was surprised that FIDO had charge me for Long Distance call. I had called FIDO yesterday @ 1:35 PM c/o Miranda and she advises me to call ASUS. Today @ 12:15 PM, I had call ASUS c/o Renessa and she advises me to open a dispute with FIDO. Now I am like a ping pong ball. This is the first time I encountered that I had been charge for calling a technical support. I need assistance on who I can deal with the charges. Thank you and have a good day.

14 REPLIES 14
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello J2014,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've received that unexpected long-distance charge on your bill. Firstly, you should note that toll-free numbers are only free from long-distance charges when called from their designated locations. For example, dialling a European toll-free number from somewhere in Europe would not be considered long-distance while dialling that same number from Canada or elsewhere would incur long-distance charges. Generally, North American toll-free numbers can be dialled from Canada without long-distance charges. However, it does depend on whether the company (owner of number) wishes to include both Canada and US (and/or Mexico). There may be some NA toll-free numbers which are only available to call from the US.

What toll-free number did you call? For some reason, the Asus Technical support hotline provided by a Google search (800-820-6655) appears to be from China (see here). Is that the number you called? That could be the reason for the long-distance charges. There doesn't appear to be a toll-free number from the Asus Canada Support website. Their assistance seems to be solely via Live Chat.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

J2014

Hi,

How are you? Thank you for the response appreciated that. I actually call 1-888-678-3688 for ASUS. On my bill I had a duration of 2 minutes for this call and there were no charges on it as it is a toll free. I don't know why I had an outgoing call on number 812-282-2787 and this is where the long distance charge takesplace. I did not dial this number. Eventhough the long distance charge is only $17.60 it is still a wrong charge to me. I wish this would help and credited back to me the said amount .

Thank you and have a good day.

Hey @J2014!

That is definitely a odd. Is it possible that at any time during your call Asus had you call a different number? Also, on your invoice, do you see the call to the toll-free number or do you only see the call to the 812 number?

Let us know and we'll go from there Smiley  

J2014

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the response. I had attached the picture of my Fido Bill for your information. I only called 1-888-678-3688 on September 27, 2020 wherein there were no charge on it. I did not dial the 812-282-2787. Hope this will help. 

Have a good day.

IMG_5940.jpg.

J2014

Hi Nick,

I apologize on why the picture got upside down.

Hey @J2014

I'll send you a PM so we can take a look at this together.

Talk to you soon!

J2014

Hi,

For all you guys, thank you for those responses. Anything follows on this issues?

I have sent you a PM!

J2014

Hi Daniela,

How are you? Thank you for the assistance. I already filled-up the form.

Hey @J2014

I can see here that we sent you a PM.

See you over there, we can continue together from there.

J2014

Hi Kenny,

How are you? I already filled-up the form.

Hello @J2014,

We got back to your PM! 

-FidoAnthonyZ

J2014

Hi AnthonyZ,

Any update on this issue?

Hey @J2014! Philippe here. I hope you're doing well. Smiley

I'll send you a PM to look into this with you. Talk to you soon!