cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payment charges?

davidp2007
I'm a participant level 2

I was trying to make a payment online, as it turns out 2 hours after my billing due date. It was supposed to be November 30 but it had slipped my mind. So I tried to make a payment on December 1 at 2 am. But to no avail. Both the online and phone service are experiencing technical difficulties. I have sent this question to customer service, but will they bill me for late charges if I am a day late? I think with any other bill I have had with other companies, there has always been a grace period. But I have never been late on my fido bill before, so  I wondered.

***Edited to add labels***

30 REPLIES 30

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Why can't people come to the conclusion that ultimatly it is your responsibility to pay your bills when it is due? You are making the argument that you should not be penilized for your own failed management to time and money.

Fido offers a lot of methods to aviod late fees, one of which is preapproved credit card payment.

If for whatever reason you cannot use credit card payments, pay your bill a few days eariler! we all have smartphones as we are Fido customers right? set a monthly reminder  on your phone calander to pay Fido 4 days early, problem solved.

I have late payments before, I was late almost 2 weeks becuase I thought I paid but didn't get through. It was my own fault and I paid the fee. I also got dinged on my credit report score but I don't make a habit of not paying so I'm not too concerned. I'm just glad Fido is able to resolve issue quickly AND my phone didn't get disconnected after my failed payment. in my opinion Fido did enough for me just let letting me keep using my cellphone when my payment was late.

17 years ago Fido did lose me as a customer when they failed to clear a check for my prepaid phone. I was using a Nokia 3310 back then Smiley I was easiler to move to competiator to get a new phone and line than to wait up to 10 days for Fido to resolve my check clearning issue...  so I think Fido improved a lot since then.

but if you are willing to switch over a $1.27 late fee you incured then I guess to each its own.

rocky714
I'm a contributor level 1
hey, i don't think u r with fido coz if u are, you shouldn't have said these , i know it is an honest mistake on my part as I have told the cs, that i forgot to amend my pre authorized payment credit card number which the bank upgraded meaning I am a good client or else they won't offered me an upgrade and not downgrade. all I am asking for is a small consideration, if fido won't, what can i do? and fyi, i have referred some of my friends to fido which they did already.

@rocky714 wrote:
let us cut the story short, so fido wants to lose customers due to small amount of late payment charges rather than having them stayed with them for years. so how much do fido earned from a loyal customers like me in 4 years? they won't even give you any kind of consideration to waive $1.27 (" it is their company policy") instead they want you to reconsider porting your number to other carriers. what a lousy business strategy to get hold of the customers.

@rocky714 you also have to look at it from Fido's side, the late payment charge is more of a deterrent if they did not put that charge in place then everyone will pay their invoice whenever they feel like. Fido have employees that needs to get paid they also have bills to pay and that is dependant on we the customer to make our payments on time.

rocky714
as i have told the cs, it is an honest mistake on my side, because my pre authorized payment credit card was upgraded and i forgot to change the number with fido. and all the previous payment don't have any late payment when I started using this method. hope fido will have some consideration with loyal and on time payer.

Hello,

Why is it that people feel they can pay their mobile bills late without incurring late charge penalties? Why don't they feel the same way about making their mortgage payments late? Or car payments late? Or credit card payments late? Even utilities payments late? They all have penalties for late payments. Heck, there are late charges for returning DVD rentals -- even from the library!..

@rocky714 I understand it was an honest mistake on your part. However, the payment was still made after the due date. You're actually lucky. You could have been charged $25 for a denied pre-authorised payment (see here) since your credit card number was changed.

**edit** A customer with good standing is great, but like you said, this time it was your mistake. I never intended to return the DVD a week late, but it happened. My mistake, I paid the penalty**

Cheers

Hi @rocky714!

We'd hate to see you go. Sad I'd just like to clarify though that late payment fees are part of your service agreement:

''If we do not receive payment of an amount due on your account by the specified required payment date, it will be subject to a late payment charge of 2% per month. This late payment charge will accrue on a daily basis and will be calculated and compounded monthly on the outstanding amount (26.82% per year) from the date of the first bill on which it appears until the date we receive that amount in full. You agree that we can charge any unpaid and outstanding amount, including any late payment charges, on any pre-authorized payment method on your account (e.g., a credit card or bank account withdrawal).''

You can view all the terms and conditions here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Joworden

If the "late payment charge will accrue on a daily basis and will be calculated and compounded monthly on the outstanding amount " Why is the FULL months interest charged if you are one day late. If your bill's late payment would be the same on day 1 as it is on day 31. 

If your payment is received before your billing cycle close date no late fee will apply.

gh_sara
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

hi

i pay with ontime on 24 dec 2014 via TD online account but and in my  fido shows my last payment is 24.dec and my payment due date is 24.dec. but today i recived the bill that shows it is late payment and charge me previous payment plus new payment and late payment chareges.

please help to solve this matter.

Best Regards

Hey there!

There's a delay when you make a payment through your bank account. 

Bank don't usually treat the payments on the same day, that's why you must pay a few days in advance (I'll suggest 5 business days) to make sure we receive the payment before your due date. 

If you want to make sure your payment reach us instantly, I'll suggest to make a credit card payment. 

In that case we receive the funds instantly, and your balance is impacted right away Smiley

Let me know if you have any other question!