cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its been two years since 5G came out. When will Fido start offering it?

Trololol
I'm a participant level 2

As in the title, 5G started rolling out in January 2020 for Rogers. Its almost 2022, when is Fido going to offer the service?

29 REPLIES 29

Hello JC008,

Welcome to the community!

@JC008 wrote:

... It is the biggest indicator that they want to end Fido brand. 

I think that might be a false assumption. The different providers offer different options. That has always been the case. Some people might not need, nor want, access to 5G networks. With the '3G' network expected to continue until the end of 2025 (see here) and the LTE network for approximately a decade by some estimates, there currently is no need for them to provide access to 5G other than customers wanting access.

If customers wish to avail of that option, there are other providers offering 5G services. Giving customers the choice to switch to Rogers for 5G services is no indication of the end of Fido.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Trololol,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand being excited about the latest technology.  As you are aware, Fido is not currently offering 5G services (see here). They are concentrating on improving the LTE networks. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker brands are offering 5G services either. 

Different levels of flanker providers offer different services. To reduce costs for customers, they must be selective in the options and services they offer. Mobile flanker brands don't get premium options like 5G, data sharing, or bundling, but their plans often offer the best balance of price and functionality (taken from here). That said, there is speculation that the first tier flanker brands could offer 5G access for a fee at some point (see here). Unfortunately, this notion is still only conjecture. No one here would know if or when this could happen. As previously mentioned, any update on 5G access would be announced on Fido.ca.

For the moment, if you want to access 5G services, you will need to switch to one of the parent providers (ie Rogers, Bell, Telus or Videotron, etc).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

CE88
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Save us money, what a joke. We pay the most for cellular in the world. Our options are extremely limited. This adds to our inability to have what we want. Fido not offering 5G is ridiculous. 

VINI-6
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I agree, Canadians do pay the highest in the world, but if I wanted 5G I would go to Rogers,  my service is fantastic with 4G - so I am happy with Fido.  I just would like a plan that offered 5GB data a month rather than 2 or 30.  I am stuck with paying more for a chunk of data that I will never use as I am mostly at home using my data there on our house service provider.  All of us have to live with what is offered and make our choices accordingly.  The CRTC is the group you should complain too about the prices being too high.

Hey @VINI-6,

You can reach us here and we'd be more than happy to look into your different options for plans! Smiley

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Trololol,

If or when Fido starts to offer 5g service it will be announced on fido.ca.

arsondude00
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

It's 2 years later... no 5G improvement this country sucks. Our monoply wireless providers (like the gas companies) gauge us and inflation is up. Our banking system is so fing slow, Brazils is faster. So slow Canada is.

Maybe you should move to Brazil and all your problems will be solved.

Trololol

lmao we should just bury our head in sand then clearly 5g doesn't exist.