cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the $15 basic plan available to existing customers if requested in store

yestinto
I'm a participant level 2

Is the $15 basic plan available to existing customers if requested in-store? I know it is one of the plans required by the CRTC, but I wonder if it is available for an existing customer if I want to use less of my service in the future. In addition, does this basic plan include international roaming?

6 REPLIES 6

dougreyn
I'm a participant level 1

The $15 basic plan does not appear on the website if you log in as an existing customer. I was only able to find it by goiing to the website in a private window and searching as a new customer. So it does not appear to be available to existing customers, at least not via the website.

Hey @dougreyn,

Welcome to the community! 

For review your plan options that aren't available online, we suggest to contact us here so an agent can help you with all available options for you. 😁

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Yesinto,

I believe the Basic plans should also be available to existing customers. If you opt to change the plan in-store, you should note that you would likely incur the set-up fee. In order to avoid the fee, you would need to make the changes yourself Fido.ca.

You should note that the Basic plans include different features and services than regular plans:

Basic Plans.png

~taken from here.

Specifically to your inquiry, the Basic plans do not allow for roaming or Fido Roam. That is, I don't think those plans have access to extended coverage when in Canada nor any usage abroad.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Do you happen to know the details for overages, roaming fees and such on the basic plans? The plan page lacks clarity and details on whats included. 

Or does it just "not work" for example if you roam to the USA on a basic plan. 

Hello 1112,

Sorry to hear you weren't able to find the information you require regarding the Basic plans. However, the website does appear to contain the information you seek:

Basic 2.jpg

~taken from here.

With regards to overages, the 250MB Basic plan would cost 45¢ per additional minute. Unfortunately, that plan would not allow for data overage usage.

As for the the 3GB Basic plan, additional data would cost $10/100MB and calling overages would not be relevant since it includes unlimited Canada-wide calling. You should note that International long-distance charges would apply for either plan.

With regards to roaming fees, the Basic plans do not include access to roaming so your services simply would not work when abroad (see image in previous post). It should also be mentioned that since those plans do not include roaming, it is unlikely the extended coverage will be accessible.

Aside: Since you mentioned roaming in the US, you should note that the US has shutdown their '3G' network  (see here and here). If your devices and/or plans are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) compatible, they would not be able to access any '3G' networks for calls. In the absence of voLTE, voice calls would necessarily need to fall-back to a '3G' network. Unfortunately, the US does not have any '3G' networks in operation anymore. In addition, as a result of the shutdown, Fido no longer offers US roaming with pre-paid accounts. If you wished to use services in the US, you would need to avail of the other Data, Talk, & Text or Talk & Text plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

yestinto

Okay, thank you very much for your reply.