cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No low plans offered to existing customers

lilsue
I'm back
I'm back

Why can’t Fido offer low cost plans for existing customers however a new customer can get a low cost plan.

i have been a customer with Fido for many many years and now they are not willing to offer me any plan lower than $60 a month without data?

yet on the website plans as low as $45 / $50 are offered with data?

19 REPLIES 19

samvaarv
I'm a participant level 1

Yes, exactly. and they are not clear about their offer either. At first, they offered me a good plan and it was there for quite a while and didn't say that this offer would end soon or by the end of this date.. and now when I plan to change and take that offer then there is no offer anymore.. Is it me only or do others have the same problem?

Hello @samvaarv, no offers/promotions are forever and can change and end at any time those exclusive offers typically do not state a start or end date as they can end at any time.

movingon
I'm a participant level 2

Loyal customer here for 13 years. I have two phones BYOP at $58 each (30gb). It's extremely upsetting to know that new customers can BYOP and get 40gb for $34. I feel penalized for being a loyal customer having to pay $24

more. It's very inconvenient to have to switch to a new provider offering the same deal but in the end I will save $48 a month which is around $650 a year including HST. I hope everyone realizes this and CANCELS. Go reap the rewards elsewhere. You can keep your phone number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long Fido and hello savings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

movingon

UPDATE!!!! 
I gave fido a second chance to make things right.

Called and got a hold of the loyalty department.

Confirmed that I am speaking with the loyalty department. Here's what I said:

• Considering switching providers today for my two BYOP devices
  • Loyal customer for 13yrs 
  • Many providers offering the same BYOP promo 
  • What offers do you have available for me today?
  • I see the promo for 40GB $34/month with auto payments ($39 without auto payments) and the advertisement does not exactly specify NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY and is quite vague in my opinion pretty much since you can BYOP now and get the offer
  • Representive mentioned an offer for 70GB just to rule it out
  • I mentioned that I am only interested in offers to save money at this time
  • Representive honoured the offer without hesitation and both plans were changed and I have received confirmation for that

CALL THEM AND DO THIS RIGHT NOW! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!! 

Dbeau

I am having this problem as well! I'm hopUng i can cancel my plan and sign up as a new customer. It's ridiculous that Fido doesn't have loyalty to thier customers and in turn makes them pay more than people who are just signing up. If this doesn't work I'm planning on switching carriers. Does anyone know if you can take your phone number if you switch?

Hello Dbeau,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does have loyalty offers for their customers. Unfortunately, some customers do not appreciate the loyalty gestures offered. For example, many customers have received offers for free additional data. Sadly, some customers have complained that the amount of free data they were offered was not enough. Alas, in this day and age, loyalty has lost its meaing. 

I understand it's frustrating not being able to avail of the same promotional offers as new customers. However, incentive promotions are not uncommon. For example, banks often offer better interest rates (for a set period) or even tablets for new customers or their credit cards may offer lower interest rates or special cash-back promotions (also for a set period) for new customers. If one already has an account at that bank or already has that particular credit card, they are not able to avail of those offers.

Additionally, memberships (ie gym etc) often have an introductory offers of which existing members cannot avail...

Unfortunately, I don't think cancelling your plan and re-signing up as a new customer would work as you hope. Your phone number is associated with your line. Cancelling your line would mean you would need to get a new number when you re-sign.

You are certainly able to choose to switch providers if you wish. If you wanted to keep your phone number, your new provider would need to request your number ported to them (see here). It would be important to not cancel your Fido services before the number port.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Tharu11

What a pathetic comment. The post here is about the cheaper plan, yet you are talking about data. What is the point of layalty data if you do not need them. Stop critizing people's feedback. Instead try to give cheaper plans for loyal customers. 

Hello Tharu11,

Welcome to the community!

My reply was in response to the poster's specific comment:

@Dbeau  wrote:

...Fido doesn't have loyalty to thier customers ....

Thank you for proving my point, though. You appear to be one of the people who don't appreciate their loyalty gesture. However, just because you don't value their gesture, that does not mean that they did not offer you something for FREE. Loyalty gestures do not have to equate as cheaper plans. As mentioned, loyalty has sadly lost its meaning.

Cheers

Tharu11

As usual trying to mud sling the feedback instead of answering the real question. Offering more data for additinal cost is something only money greedy people like you can appreciate. 
Let me tell you about loyalty. .Date is 2023 November 21st. The 20GB, Talk & Text - BYOP plan for a new comer is $34 (I have no problem here). And  the same plan for a loyal customer cost $67 (This is a real problem and this is the main question is about).  And yet question the value of loyalty instead taking customer feedback. 

sun7

You are right. I also understand the business side of why the companies do that. I have two lines (BIYP) with Fido ($80 each) and will be porting the numbers to another company this week. Makes no sense to pay higher price when new comers pa lower. I rather get the new comer price at another company. This is what I do not get, why not offer it to us instead of losing business.  Loyalty goes out the window.  As long as we do not sign a contract for 2 years, we are free move. 

Hello again,

@Tharu11 wrote:

....Offering more data for additinal cost is something only money greedy people like you can appreciate....

Money greedy people like me?!?  You know nothing about me. In case you were not aware, I don't work for Fido. I'm not even in telecommunications. I am only a customer.

The loyalty gesture I noted above was for FREE data, not for additional cost (see here, here, and here, etc).

As also mentioned above was that plan you noted is an incentive promotion.

@Cawtau @ wrote

...I understand it's frustrating not being able to avail of the same promotional offers as new customers. However, incentive promotions are not uncommon. For example, banks often offer better interest rates (for a set period) or even tablets for new customers or their credit cards may offer lower interest rates or special cash-back promotions (also for a set period) for new customers. If one already has an account at that bank or already has that particular credit card, they are not able to avail of those offers.

Additionally, memberships (ie gym etc) often have an introductory offers of which existing members cannot avail...

People need to stop conflating loyalty with lower cost plans. The coffee shop might offer a free coffee after 10 coffee purchases. That's their loyalty offer. They do not offer their returning customers coffee at reduced prices. Boston Pizza offers discounts after a certain number of online orders. They do not offer repeat customers cheaper menu prices. Grocery stores may offer points towards cash-back on future purchases. However, again, they do not reduce the prices for their returning customers. Amazon Prime offers customers special deals on Prime Day, free shipping. However, there is no reduction of costs for other regular purchases... Loyalty gestures and costs are two separate things.

You don't have to be money greedy to know that loyalty and costs are not the same thing.

Cheers

justcheck
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

You are a customer you say?? Hmmm funny how you find the time to reply on several posts related to customer loyalty. And you mentioned that loyalty is all but not appreciated in this day and age. 

Quite the good Samaritan you are replying on behalf of a telecommunications firm for who you don't work for. You ain't fooling anyone there bud!! 

Hello Justcheck,

Better judgment would dictate that I do not reply to your unsubstantiated insinuations. However, I also know that ignoring your post will only act to fuel your allegation.

Even though your post doesn’t deserve a reply, I don’t reply to posts here on behalf of anyone. I started posting here because the information I was searching for was not available at the time. When I finally found the information I wanted, I decided to share that information with others so they didn’t have to do all of the research as well. If you want to call me a Good Samaritan, then Thank You. 

Your insinuation is that I must work for Fido or am in the telecommunications industry because I commented on loyalty. You are aware the concept of loyalty programs is not limited to telecommunications, right?!? In fact, it has been studied and discussed (see here and here). Customers can also be informed about loyalty.

I’ll admit that this topic is a bit of a pet-peeve of mine. I did mention that loyalty has lost its meaning. Loyalty rewards are gestures of appreciation. The authors in that study suggested tangible rewards (ie free data) tended to lower the sense of entitlement. In your other post, you noted that customers are complaining about the free data because it isn’t enough. When customers don’t value those gestures anymore and actually expect increased gestures, it is no longer loyalty. That’s entitlement.

Why is it that people think that the telecommunications industry operates in isolation? Look around. The cost of everything has increased – food costs, fuel, electricity, clothes, electronics, memberships, etc. Unfortunately, that is just a fact of the current state of things. For whatever reason, people seem to think telecommunications don’t face those same economic pressures. Even though their operating costs would likely have increased as well, it is the only sector where customers expect to pay less and to get more. That is not in defense of the industry, only an observation.

While I don’t actually care what you think of me, I can only reiterate the truth. No, I don’t work for Fido nor do I work in telecommunications. You don’t have to work for them or be in that field to have an opinion on a matter which applies to practically every facet of our daily lives. We come across various loyalty programs every day: swipe or scan to collect points, get stamps for purchases,…  In no instance are the costs for products and/or services influenced by loyalty. Loyalty gestures and costs are two separate things.

Yes, there are incentive promotions for new activations or upgrades. As I have previously mentioned, customers are free to switch providers to avail of those offers. However, don’t mistake being able to get one of those offers from elsewhere as better service. Once you are a customer of another provider, you will no longer be a new customer to them.

Cheers

petrocelly

thats on purpose, they will offer you always more expensive plan just to rip you off, they do this to me all the time, even phone offers are more expensive then when u buy directly, sometimes used phones are more expesive then new phones. now they offering me 50gb plan for 63$, i just switched to 30GB (60$) from 12GB wiuth bonuses (12GB+12GB for 57$) they slowly creep up the price with nonsense, i never used more then 10GB with heavy youtube watching, 50GB is BS same as their price. If I want a 10GB plan they offer it for 65$, fido is a ripoff second grade company of rogers, they always were, i dont understand how ppl are getting cheap plans at all, ive been with fido for more then 15 years and never got any deal, and i did not want to change because of all the mess u get into to go to different operator with all hidden fees

Hello @petrocelly, You are venting because Fido made you an offer? If it's an offer that does not suit your needs or to your liking you can simply decline it and move on. 

You've admitted that you never used more than 10GB maybe you should have not upgraded to the 30GB plan for the extra $3, while Fido may offer you a plan that is slightly more than your current plan it is usually accompanied with more data so while you might have to pay more you also get more.

When it comes to purchasing a device from the carrier if you are not financing it at a discount rate you are almost always better off buying it directly from the manufacturer. 

Me71

Loser

Now, now. Not a warranted comment. We're here to assist not hinder. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @lilsue,

welcome to the community!

If you login to the MY ACCOUNT section on fido.ca or on the Fido mobile app and then go to change plan you should see a list of all the current in market plan and even plans that are targeted just for you. If you see a plan that fits your needs then you can switch to the new plan.

Keep in mind if you are currently on contract you might have to pay off your current tab depending on the new plan you are switching to. 

TEK1

"Plans available to you"

Disgust and disdain