cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interac e-transfer scam????

melgasbal
I'm a participant level 1

hi i just want to ask if fido mobility give reward money to the customers? because i got one and tried to put it in my account. however, i didn't got the money, because after i open my banking account it is not found. I'm just worry because of that they may get my bank information and use it on something..

27 REPLIES 27

Brianwilson

Screenshot_2018-11-12-01-26-04.png

Recieved this in a text today.     What does this mean?    It said it was refunded!     But wants me to confirm.  Confused!

That's not from us @Brianwilson!

Please don't enter any of your personal information as this is a scam text message. If you did, we suggest contacting your bank and letting them know right away.

We also suggest you forward this message to the number 7726 so that our team can look into it in order to prevent these types of messages going forward Smiley

For more info on smishing (phishing by SMS) check out our blog post on the topic here.

holly_lm

I received this scam and started entering some personal info but then realized that this may not be legit so I called FIDO and was advised this was not.  However, should I be worried about some the info that I started providing? 

I didn't finish the form so I hope it got deleted.

Hello Holly_lm

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry you have been deceived by those texts. It happens to the best of us. That's why it's so lucrative for the scammers. A couple of tell-tale signs the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't refund by sending etransfers or request credit card information via email or text message link. You are best to not click on any such link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

I understand you might not have finished the form, but we can't be certain that no information was actually forwarded to the scammers.

In light of the fact you might have unwittingly provided your personal information to them, have you taken the appropriate measures? While it's possible no information was actually forwarded, you still might consider changing your passwords and cancel your credit card... or at least monitor your credit card usage.

You should also consider forwarding the text message to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. Fowarding the information to 7726 (SPAM) will help prevent others from receiving the same texts (see here). Since you may have provided personal information, the Anti-Fraud centre may be able to provide the link to authorities to possibly track the scammers.

You should also consider the advice here. It may seem like a hassle, but any preventative measures taken now are definitely better than trying to sort out stolen identities after the fact.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Lauveux

Recieved a URL for HTTPS://hheelpp.com/ With a retrieve link towards a 53$ Interac transfer for mistaken overcharge on Data Usage?

May be a scam or Phishing? 

Didn't do anything. 😕

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Lauveux!

Welcome to the community :).

That is definitely not from us. All transactions are done via your Fido account, and refunds are processed by check, which will be mailed to the billing address we have on file.

For more info on how to avoid these phishing scams, click here.

Hope this helps.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @melgasbal,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does not send e-transfer to customers, the text you got was a spam text, you can get more info here including ways to report it to Fido.

Since you opened the link and enter your banking info I would suggest you change your banking password ASAP and maybe give your bank a heads up so maybe they can monitor your account for any suspicious activities.