cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam charge question

a_mori78
I'm a participant level 2

My phone is roaming  but I have not used text data or calling. Do I still get charged the daily roaming fee? If I do not use it? 

19 REPLIES 19

JT2128
I'm a participant level 1

I turn off the roaming already but eventually I was charged $7 US roaming.  does anyone know why?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @JT2128!

I've moved your post here as it deals with a similar topic and @FidoAmanda's solution explains what can trigger FidoRoam charges.

If you have further questions, let us know!

joseph5412

just a minute international call costed me 12 dollors i need a answer

Hey @joseph5412 !

I've moved your post here. It seems you were billed for FidoRoam triggered by the phone call you made. The $12 allows you to use your services as you do in Canada for 24 hours.

Hope that helps!

Jessik_liliana

Hi 

Just want to ask my international charges

I went to Mexico ;I  turn off all the data roaming an just use the wiffi ; as i remember I run out once on battery ; pretty sure when it on again  i did the same practice (turns off data again) ,

Still must pay 198.32 CAD ; just because ? (12CaD/ day)

kajad
I'm a participant level 3

this is from the  The Wireless Code, simplified Cap on data roaming charges

1. A service provider must suspend national and international data roaming charges once they reach $100 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the account holder or authorized user expressly consents to pay additional charges.
  2. A service provider must provide this cap at no charge.
  3. In all instances, this cap applies on a per-account basis, regardless of the number of devices associated with the account.
  4. Any amount that the customer pays in data roaming fees, whether via a roaming add-on (before use) or via overage fees (after use), counts toward this cap.

Hello Kajad,

Welcome to the community!

Unless there have been recent changes to their policy, I believe Fido does abide by the Wireless code. The $100 cap was initially for roaming data overage fees and did not include regular Fido Roam fees. However, as of May 29th, 2018,  Fido Roam was combined with all other data roaming pay-per-use fees under a single $100 cap (see here).

Did you have an issue where your services were not suspended once they reached the cap? You should note that if your travel spans two billing cycles, the second cycle begins a new cap limit.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kajad

I didn’t travel anywhere. 

Shouldn’t of been charged in the first place. And they always manage to squeeze in under $100/month. 

Hello again,

If you haven't travelled anywhere, then you shouldn't have been charged for roaming. Do you live close to a border? Occasionally, phones close to the border might connect to a US cellular tower rather than a Canadian tower. Many of the affected areas have already had this issue addressed. However, there may be a US cellular tower which has not yet been identified to Fido as problematic. 

You might consider contacting customer service to go over those charges with you. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kajad

I have not travelled anywhere. I do live across the water from US. I have called customer service and spent close to 4 hours with them and they are unwilling to reverse the charges. $273 worth. 

Not impressed. 

I guess next step is file a complain with crtc and take to social media. 

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @kajad

We've replied to your PM.  We'll continue with you there!  

Hey @Jessik_liliana

Welcome to the Community!

I moved your post here since the topic is similar. As mentioned in the solution to this thread, Fido Roam will kick in for any usage of your services (texting/calling/data).

Did you use any other services during your trip?

And you mentioned turning the Roaming Data off, did you do the same for the Mobile Data?

Let us know Smiley

eurocrash
I'm a contributor level 1

hey all,

Thought I would share this feedback I gave on a recent support call. The headline here is you are auto-enrolled in Fido Roam even if it works against you economically. Be careful out there! Hope this helps.

"I was disappointed that I was subscribed to a $12 daily international roaming service while not actually having my phone and roaming turned on. Apparently I received text messages 10 text messages over 3 days and billed $36 for those messages no data was used and txt messages were not indicated on my invoice. the operator further informed me that text messages are .75 per message so if I was not enrolled in the international roaming service I would have been billed far less. Since issue was poorly addressed (I was only credited $20 still more than .75 per text) I informed Fido rep I will take my account to another provider. This was meant with no urgency and a goodbye.

PatriciaS

I want to disable Fido Roam!!! I lose money with it everytime I travel abroad, then I can't even access the Fido website to complain. I am a long-time customer and I don't think I should be spending so much money AND TIME to get it disabled. There's so much bureaucracy that it seems like it's being done on purpose and in a deceitful manner.

Plain and simple: HOW DO I OPT OUT FIDO ROAM ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Hello PatriciaS,

Welcome to the community!

If you do not wish to travel using Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service to opt-out of the service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Once you are confirmed to have the service disabled on your account, your usage abroad would be on a pay-per-use basis. If you choose to travel without Fido Roam, you might consider disabling data and roaming data as those charges can add up quite quickly. You can view the pay-per-use rates here.

If you wished to disable roaming entirely, you would need to contact customer service and have them place a roaming block on your line. Alternatively, you might consider keeping your phone in Airplane or Flight mode. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. With Airplane mode enabled, the phone should not be able to connect to the local networks. You should note that if your phone is Wifi-calling enabled, some usage abroad would be considered roaming (see here). Another option would be to remove the SIM card from your device. However, if you choose this method, you would need to ensure you do not lose the SIM card. While you can order a new SIM, you would likely be charged for the replacement SIM.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @eurocrash!

I have moved your post to this thread since it's related. 

I'm sad to see that your recent experience with Fido Roam did not match your expectations. 

We definitely wouldn't want to see you go over this so I would like to start off by clarifying a couple of things here.

As you can see in the solutions above, the Fido Roam daily fee only applies if you use the data, talk time and texts from your monthly plan while abroad, meaning you are only billed for what you use. The 24h period starts when you first use your phone that day.

Had your device been off, it would be impossible to incur any the Fido Roam daily fee. 

Also, incoming text messages do not trigger the Fido Roam daily fee as you have no control over someone sending you an SMS thus any charge related to SMS would be for outgoing SMS. 

You can choose to opt-out of Fido Roam for future trips if you prefer. If you decide to opt-out of Fido Roam, our regular roaming rates will apply when you travel. This means you’ll be charged full price for every minute, SMS/MMS and all of the data you use while roaming.

eurocrash

The Fido customer rep was Ginny. Again texts received x 10.

This is information provided to me not my assertion. As you are aware my Fido bill does not indicate any activity including texts so I can only go by what Ginny told me.

Cheers.

We are sorry about the misinformation you were provided @eurocrash. As @FidoAmanda mentioned, incoming SMS are not billed as you have no control over them. Only an outgoing usage is billed. 

You can learn all about Fido Roam here.

If you wish, we can double-check what usage caused the roaming fees on your account. Let us know and we'll send you a PM. Smiley

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @a_mori78!

FidoRoam charges only apply if you use your service, texting/calling/data, while roaming. If you do not use any of your services, then you will not incur any charges for FidoRoam. 

One thing that is important to remember is that, if you do not intend to use data while roaming, you need to ensure that you leave your data roaming set to off under your devices network settings. 

Hope this helps!