Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam - 24 hour or more?

shreyap
I'm a participant level 3

I am from Toronto, currently in LA...

$7 / day for Roaming.

I was on airplane mode and turned airplane mode off at 7pm yesterday. I received text messages but I didn't use reply or use my phone until this morning. Does my 24 hour $7/day period start from today when I first made a call or from yesterday when my phone was detected by Fido Roam but didn't use it until today? 

Simranjeet on Live Fido Chat has given me all the wrong info and then went on to apologize for giving me the wrong info and is extremely uninformed and is not just confused and making me confused. 

Can someone who is educated and a professional please answer this? thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Shreyap,

Welcome to the community!

The Fido Roam fee is charged when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad (see here). You will be charged once every 24 hours when you use your services. Receiving text messages does not incur the Fido Roam fee so your 24 hour period would not have started because you received those text messages. However, if your phone's data and data roaming settings were enabled, it's possible your phone used some data when you first turned off your phone's Airplane mode. If that happened, then your 24 hour period would have started when your phone used the data. **edit** You should also note that if the text messages you received were MMS, the data within MMS is considered roaming data and would have therefore incurred the roaming fee.*

Are you able to check whether data was used in your phone? Unfortunately, I don't believe the app will provide real-time roaming data usage as that information wouldn't have been forwarded to Fido yet.

Sorry I couldn't provide a more definitive answer, but hope this helps 😀

Cheers

shreyap

Thank you for your reply

Does that mean that if I use my phone at 10am today, I will have a 24 hour period until tomorrow at 10am? or does it charge me at midnight? 

Hello again,

Assuming your phone did not use any data when you first disabled your phone's Airplane mode and your first usage was this morning at 10am, your Fido Roam session will continue until tomorrow 10am (24 hours).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

shreyap

thank you so much! 

Hi, I have received a text before to tell me that I am now roaming. So I turned my data roaming off and went into airplane mode. I didn't get charged anything for that warning text. BUT if you received other texts from home or elsewhere before you had the chance to turn it off, then you are now being charged the $7 from that point on until the same time tomorrow. A 24 hr roaming period. 

Anyone with a different answer please chime in so we both have the correct information. Hope that helps

shreyap

Thank you Lucy,

Does that mean that if I use my phone at 10am today, I will have a 24 hour period until tomorrow at 10am?