cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial Up Speed in the age of 4G

qpalzmsk
I'm a participant level 2

I'm getting 0.2mbps download at my house and work and it sometimes won't even connect to have data. Called technical support and they don't seem to have a clue what to do. Well, guess I'm going to talk people out of Fido in the areas where I live. Such a shame for Fido/Rogers to have such a network in year 2020.

5 REPLIES 5

qpalzmsk

Yeah that's the whole problem is that signal is always below -100dB to most of the places I go to. I've been using HEPA+ instead. Switching to Virgin Mobile this week for better coverage because tech support basically said they couldn't do anything about it. 6 different phones with Rogers Network all had insanely low speed at where I work in Guildford Surrey with both 4G and 5G so I find this quite unacceptable.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additiona information. Unfortunately, if your circumstances don't allow for adequate cellular signal at your usual locations (and Wifi-calling isn't an option), there isn't much that can be done. It's a common misunderstanding that any mobile provider will suit everyone everywhere. That simply isn't the case. If you spend a good portion of time outside of a mobile provider's coverage, perhaps that mobile provider isn't the right one for you.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

qpalzmsk

Did all that already and didn't help at all. Even the guy from tech support says he doesn't know what is happening and your level 2 tech haven't contact me on this regard as well. Disappointed.

Screenshot_20201229-095454.jpg

Hello Qpalzmsk,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your data transmission speeds. There are many factors which can affect data speeds. What phone are you using? Is it from Fido? If not, have you verfied that it has all of the compatible bands/frequencies? You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. The frequency at which your phone is connected could have bearing on data speeds. The lower frequencies (ie 700MHz) can travel further and penetrate deeper than higher frequencies (ie 2600MHz) (see graphic here). However, the lower frequencies also have less potential bandwidth (see table here; note that Fido no longer uses band 17).

Have you tried a speed test using the '3G' or WCDMA (UMTS) networks? It could provide some additional information. You can do so by disabling LTE in your network selection.

In addition, your location relative to the cellular towers could also affect data transmission. You can view your surrounding cellular towers here. Are you able to get better data speeds at different locations?

Furthermore, signal strength could also affect data transmission. According to here, -100 dB is still required for data transfer to occur while maintaining the 4G or LTE speeds. Is it possible your signal strength is not adequate at your location?

Yes, we are soon to be in 2021. However, the nature of cellular service is that it is dependent on being able to receive adequate signal from the cellular towers. In addition to your proximity to the cellular towers, there are also many factors can affect cellular reception and subsequent data transmission (see here and here). That's why no mobile provider can guarantee service. There are just too many factors beyond their control. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @qpalzmsk,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

Sorry to hear that your situation remains unresolved. Could you perhaps share with us the troubleshooting steps completed with our technical support team so we can better assist you?

Most of our LTE customers today get an average download speed of 36.14 Mbps, so your speed s definitely degraded. Please note however that your network connection or signal strength can also impact the service you're getting.

A few things we can check, if you haven't had the chance to yet:

1. Make sure that you have the correct APN settings (for Androids)
  2. If you're using an iPhone,  you can disable/enable LTE so make sure it's enabled.
  3. Complete a reset of your network settings on your device. Note that your saved Wi-Fi passwords will be forgotten as well.

Let us know how it goes.