Fido LTE Field Test shows me that I am not on LTE WHY ?

I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Fido LTE Field Test shows me that I am not on LTE WHY ?

I did an LTE field test and the result was disappointing ! The frequency band indicator showed me the number 12 when it suppose to be either 17 or 21 or 26 so that means my iPhone shows I am on LTE network when I am not why is that ? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido LTE Field Test shows me that I am not on LTE WHY ?

@Aj76 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification however my iPhone 6s 64 gets 11 Mb/s DL and 6 Mb /s UP on LTE speed test while my friend has same phone and with Fido but he gets 25 Mb/s DL and 7 Mb/s UP and his field test shows the frequency band indicator is 7.... So why is on band 12 and his on band 7 ?? Is not both iPhones suppose to be on the same band ?? Cheers 

Hello,

Band selection between phone and network are not static. The phone and network will try to connect to the best band (or network) for the situation. If the situation changes, the band or network may change as well. You should note that the best may not necessarily equate with the fasted.

As @FidoManuel mentioned, there are a number of factors at play -- signal strength, network congestion, etc. Lower frequencies (ie 700 MHz) would have better penetrative ability than higher frequencies (ie 1700/2100 MHz or 2600 MHz). **edit** Lower frequencies can also travel a greater distance.** Since you noted previously that your decibel strength was relatively poor ~ -113dB even with a lower frequency, it is very likely that the higher frequencies are not able to reach the phone. **edit ** Of course that assumes both frequencies are transmitted from the same tower.**  So at that moment, given your situation, the best band would have been band 12.

You also noted that your speeds were slower than your friend's speeds on band 7. Band 12 is slower because it has a narrower bandwidth than band 7 (17 vs 70 MHz, respectively).

Bands.jpg

Also note, that speeds would vary (even on bands 4 and 7) depending on signal strength, network congestion, other apps using data, etc.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
Former Moderator FidoTerryB
Former Moderator

You should be on Band 4, 7 or 17.  Which app are you using that's giving you those results? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Why band 4 or 7 ?? 17 yes since Fido uses LTE band 1700 2100 and 2600 MHz . I am not using a specific app I entered the hidden iPhone 6s 64gb field test feature and I can always see number 12 by frequency band indicator field and by the decibel strength it shows me I am on LTE network but how is that possible ? The decibel strength was even poor -113 . But being on 12 I guess something is not right .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
MVP
MVP

@Aj76 wrote:

I did an LTE field test and the result was disappointing ! The frequency band indicator showed me the number 12 when it suppose to be either 17 or 21 or 26 so that means my iPhone shows I am on LTE network when I am not why is that ? 

***Edited to add labels***

Hello,

The "700 MHz band" is actually two bands: Upper 700 MHz and Lower 700 MHz. Each has its own set of blocks. Relevant here, are blocks A, B, and C of the lower band.

Band 12 consists of blocks A, B, and C. On the other hand, Band 17 consists of blocks B and C.

700 MHz.jpg

During the Canadian 700 Mhz auction in 2014, Rogers acquired the block A spectrum in many parts of the country, including British Columbia.

700 MHz Auction.jpg

The acquisition of block A means that, in those provinces, Rogers can utilise both bands 12 and 17. Rogers has been upgrading those towers to include band 12.

So if your phone shows you're using band 12, you are actually on the LTE network.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9
MVP
MVP

@Aj76 wrote:

Why band 4 or 7 ?? 17 yes since Fido uses LTE band 1700 2100 and 2600 MHz ....

Hello again,

I think you're getting confused between bands and frequencies.

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and/or
  • Band 7 (2600 MHz) and/or
  • Band 17 (700 MHz) and/or
  • Band 12 (700 MHz)

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the clarification however my iPhone 6s 64 gets 11 Mb/s DL and 6 Mb /s UP on LTE speed test while my friend has same phone and with Fido but he gets 25 Mb/s DL and 7 Mb/s UP and his field test shows the frequency band indicator is 7.... So why is on band 12 and his on band 7 ?? Is not both iPhones suppose to be on the same band ?? Cheers 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hey Aj76!

Lot of factors can explain that, the network congestion when doing the test, the handover from previous tower not completed, the location of your friend versus your location.

2 devices can be in different bands,  but still have LTE access. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
MVP
MVP
Solution

@Aj76 wrote:

Hello,

Band selection between phone and network are not static. The phone and network will try to connect to the best band (or network) for the situation. If the situation changes, the band or network may change as well. You should note that the best may not necessarily equate with the fasted.

As @FidoManuel mentioned, there are a number of factors at play -- signal strength, network congestion, etc. Lower frequencies (ie 700 MHz) would have better penetrative ability than higher frequencies (ie 1700/2100 MHz or 2600 MHz). **edit** Lower frequencies can also travel a greater distance.** Since you noted previously that your decibel strength was relatively poor ~ -113dB even with a lower frequency, it is very likely that the higher frequencies are not able to reach the phone. **edit ** Of course that assumes both frequencies are transmitted from the same tower.**  So at that moment, given your situation, the best band would have been band 12.

You also noted that your speeds were slower than your friend's speeds on band 7. Band 12 is slower because it has a narrower bandwidth than band 7 (17 vs 70 MHz, respectively).

Bands.jpg

Also note, that speeds would vary (even on bands 4 and 7) depending on signal strength, network congestion, other apps using data, etc.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9

Thanks Cawtau 👍

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9