Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Reply
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

I have just purchase the newest iPhone 6s 64 factory unlocked directly from Apple Store in guildford mall in surrey, till now there is nothing left that I have not done from calling Fido 611 and chatting to Fido agent online and chatting with apple support center and guess what Fido is not confirming they have a huge issues with their network instead they made change the SIM card 7 freaking times for not receiving Good reception and LTE signal, then they decided it a faulty phone out of the box funny is not it !!!!! Pending with juicy news from them so I went ahead me and my brother who has same issue with similar iPhone 6s 64 which was purchased on the same day from same store and we completely replaced the 2 iPhones from the Apple Store and guess what !!!!, FIDO IS STILL INSISTING THAT THE REPLACEMENT IS FAULTY AS WELL SO WHAT IS ODD IS THAT 4 brand new phones out of the box all of them faulty ??????!!!!!. So I called Fido 611 and I escalated the issue to retention department and they escalated the issue to higher level and they told me to wait 2 more business days to get a response. So if they come back to me saying it's the phone again and replace the sim again for the 8th time I am going to make put all the sims I used all together in series and make a nice video and post it on YouTube and probably go on the radio live and laugh for a bit so people would understand what type of good customer relation Fido does provide to their customers and probably ditch the Fido line and switch to Telus or Bell. 

 

Does anyone else relate to my issue and was it solved if yes what did you do??

 

Thanks 

 

Accepted Solution

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC


@Aj76 wrote:

...I am getting only 1 bar of LTE...

  

So so where do you see the problem from here ??


@Aj76 wrote:

...ditch the Fido line and switch to Telus or Bell. 

 

Does anyone else relate to my issue and was it solved if yes what did you do??

 

Thanks 

 

 

***Edited to add Labels***

 

Hello Aj76,

 

  Welcome to the forums!

 

  I understand your frustrations, however, the bars are only iconic representations of signal strength and are phone dependent. Two phones with identical dBm signal strength could show different bar strengths. The more relevant issue should be whether you are able to functionally use LTE. I regularly only get 1 bar of LTE at my place due to numerous factors, yet functionally, it's the same as if I were outside getting a full 4 bars.

 

  Many factors can affect cell signal including distance from the cell tower, local geography/topography, objects between cell tower and your location, and the phone's antennae, to name a few. According to here, there are two LTE cell towers in Langley. However, I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Langley.jpg

 

 

  Living further away from the towers would decrease signal strength. Also, what is the topography of the area? Hills, trees and buildings would all impede strength as well. Building materials -- especially new energy efficient materials -- used in your home/office would also affect reception. 

 

  I'm assuming that you're getting more bars for 2G and '3G'. The reason is likely because those signals are better able to penetrate through objects/materials than the higher frequencies of LTE.

 

  Yes, occasionally weak signal can be due to faulty SIMs or faulty phones. More commonly, however, there are a host of other factors which may result in weak signal. Unfortunately, many of those factors are uncontrollable. If it is an issue for you, you may need to consider getting a signal booster.

 

  If you're still thinking of 'ditching the Fido line' you should be aware that the closest Bell tower is in Surrey. Also, since the Telus towers share similar locations to those of Rogers, you may still end up with 1 bar.

 

  Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers

 

 

 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
4,851 Views
Moderator
Moderator

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Hey Aj76 Smiley

 

Thank you for providing the details of your issue.

 

You shoudl definitely be able to use your LTE with your phone as long as your settings are set up the right way.

 

Since you are now using an unlcoked device, when you get a chance you can take a look at the required setttings here

 

We certailny don't want you to leave Fido. I would like to take a look at what was done on your account so far to get this fixed.

 

I'm sending you a PM. Talk to you soon Smiley

 

 

 

 

 



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 13
3,343 Views
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Thanks for your input, however I have tried to reset network sittings on the 4 iPhone 6s 64gb with no luck and then I have made sure that LTE is ticked under cellular data section and rebooted the phone still no luck I only receive 1 bar of LTE , based on the couverage map Fido provide I am almost in the center of Langley BC and the map showers me full coverage of LTE coverage instead I am getting only 1 bar of LTE. I am currently on iOS 9.0.2 and I am aware that there is iOS 9.1 and as far as the fixes go this 9.1 does not fix the reception it add extra emojis and much more simple fixes. 

 

So so where do you see the problem from here ??

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 13
3,332 Views
MVP
MVP
Solution

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC


@Aj76 wrote:

...I am getting only 1 bar of LTE...

  

So so where do you see the problem from here ??


@Aj76 wrote:

...ditch the Fido line and switch to Telus or Bell. 

 

Does anyone else relate to my issue and was it solved if yes what did you do??

 

Thanks 

 

 

***Edited to add Labels***

 

Hello Aj76,

 

  Welcome to the forums!

 

  I understand your frustrations, however, the bars are only iconic representations of signal strength and are phone dependent. Two phones with identical dBm signal strength could show different bar strengths. The more relevant issue should be whether you are able to functionally use LTE. I regularly only get 1 bar of LTE at my place due to numerous factors, yet functionally, it's the same as if I were outside getting a full 4 bars.

 

  Many factors can affect cell signal including distance from the cell tower, local geography/topography, objects between cell tower and your location, and the phone's antennae, to name a few. According to here, there are two LTE cell towers in Langley. However, I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Langley.jpg

 

 

  Living further away from the towers would decrease signal strength. Also, what is the topography of the area? Hills, trees and buildings would all impede strength as well. Building materials -- especially new energy efficient materials -- used in your home/office would also affect reception. 

 

  I'm assuming that you're getting more bars for 2G and '3G'. The reason is likely because those signals are better able to penetrate through objects/materials than the higher frequencies of LTE.

 

  Yes, occasionally weak signal can be due to faulty SIMs or faulty phones. More commonly, however, there are a host of other factors which may result in weak signal. Unfortunately, many of those factors are uncontrollable. If it is an issue for you, you may need to consider getting a signal booster.

 

  If you're still thinking of 'ditching the Fido line' you should be aware that the closest Bell tower is in Surrey. Also, since the Telus towers share similar locations to those of Rogers, you may still end up with 1 bar.

 

  Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers

 

 

 



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 13
3,296 Views
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Bars on the iPhone means they are iconic rep of signal strength true but i do not think Apple made their signal strength in opposite way 1 bar beaning the highest signal and 5 bars being the lowest signal so just bear in mind that I have extensive computer background so computer science says 1-5 bar 1 being the weakest point and it scales up frankly speaking there is no shame of saying we do not know what the issue is yet other than promoting false information to Fido subscribers. 

 

Wrapping up I am planning to ask apple tech support to go on conference call with Fido and me to see how the arfument going to settle at the end. That's my last intention. 

 

But your our input is totally appreciated 

AJ

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 13
3,287 Views
MVP
MVP

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC


@Aj76 wrote:

... i do not think Apple made their signal strength in opposite way 1 bar beaning the highest signal and 5 bars being the lowest signal ...

 

But your our input is totally appreciated 

AJ


 

Hello again,

 

  You seem to have missed my point. I did not imply that I thought 1 was the 'highest', I noted two phones may show different levels (ie 1 bar on one phone and 2 bar on another phone) for the same signal strength. I also noted that you may get functional LTE even at the lowest number of bars.

 

  I also noted that there may not be anything Apple or Fido can do to 'solve' your issue due to circumstances outside of their control. 

 

 Best of luck

 

Cheers



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 13
3,273 Views
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

No I do not think I misunderstood your point here, so explain to me logically why 4 brand new iPhones show same reception strength ( 1 bar LTE )  then ?????? !!!! , you going to come back telling me same thing iconic rep ????

 

 

Having 4 brand new iPhone giving same signal strength ( 1 bar LTE ) does confirm its the device not the network ??.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 13
3,266 Views
MVP
MVP

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC


@Aj76 wrote:

No I do not think I misunderstood your point here, so explain to me logically why 4 brand new iPhones show same reception strength ( 1 bar LTE )  then ?????? !!!! , you going to come back telling me same thing iconic rep ????

 

 

Having 4 brand new iPhone giving same signal strength ( 1 bar LTE ) does confirm its the device not the network ??.


 

Hello again,

 

  As mentioned previously, 'Many factors can affect cell signal including distance from the cell tower, local geography/topography, objects between cell tower and your location, and the phone's antennae, to name a few.'

 

  It's obvious you're not open to my assistance so I am done with this.

 

Best of luck

 

Cheers



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 13
3,248 Views
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Aj76
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say and you can not assume that I am not open for assistance because I did not tell you to stop posting messages, the only thing I have said to you is to justify why 4 different brand new iPhone 6s 64 factory unlocked all show same signal strength witch is ( 1 bar of LTE ) ????. If I have to apply what you have said regarding the dBm then each of 4 iPhones 6s 64 should display different number of bars and signal strength, instead the 4 different iPhones 6s 64 showed same signal strength which is (1 Bar of LTE ) . It's straight forward and simple no need to reinvent the wheel again. 

 

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 13
3,228 Views
Moderator
Moderator

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Hey Aj76.

 

I just replied to your PM to get this investigated.

 

 



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 13
3,219 Views
MVP
MVP

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Hello,

 

  I know I said I was done with this, however, Langley sounded familiar so I went through some of my old posts. Have a read here as it seems relevent to this situation.

 

Cheers



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 13
1,546 Views
I'm a Participant Level 1 020
I'm a Participant Level 1

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

Yes, I live in Langley too, I have an iPhone 6s plus.

 

As long as I turn on LTE, the signal bar will drop 2-3 bars.

 

Turn it off and use 3G only then it will have full 5 bars.

 

I think LTE is not very reliable/strong at this moment.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 13
1,418 Views
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Re: Extremely Poor LTE signal and cellular Reception is extremely poor in downtown Langley BC

@020 wrote:

Yes, I live in Langley too, I have an iPhone 6s plus.

 

As long as I turn on LTE, the signal bar will drop 2-3 bars.

 

Turn it off and use 3G only then it will have full 5 bars.

 

I think LTE is not very reliable/strong at this moment.

Hello 020,

 

  Welcome to the community!

 

  The observation you note is quite normal. It has nothing to do with the reliability or strength of the LTE network.  It depends on your location in relation to the cellular towers. It happens because the frequencies used for LTE are different than those used for UMTS(WCDMA) and GSM ('3G' and 2G, respectively). You can verify the bands/frequencies here. Except for bands 12 and 17 (700 MHz), the lower frequencies of '3G'/2G have a better penetrative ability and can travel farther than the higher frequencies used for LTE.

freq.jpg

 

  If you're closer to a cellular tower, then you might get strong bars on both LTE and '3G'/2G. However, you should be able to use the LTE network reliably with less than full bars.

 

  With regards to the availability of 700 MHz, again, it would depend on your location in relation to the cellular towers. Not all bands/frequencies are available from all towers. It's possible that your closest tower is not LTE and when you connect to LTE you're connected to a farther LTE tower using 700 MHz. If you're interested in determining which band/frequency you're connected to, Aj76 performed a Field test on his iPhone.

 

  You may have also noted that if you're connected to LTE with 2-3 bars of signal and you make or receive a call, the network will switch to '3G'/2G with more bars. The switching of networks is not because the LTE network isn't reliable enough for the call. The phones switch networks because voice calls (with the exception of voLTE) can only be transmitted on the '3G'/2G networks. The LTE network is strictly for transmitting data (packets) while the '3G'/2G networks allow for voice calls (circuit-switched) and data. Feel free to peruse some of my older posts for more detail.

 

Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers



Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 13
1,411 Views