Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in the country Fido offers coverage - Canada

hinghie
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello Fido Community:

I do not understand what is going on. While I am going on my usual day, phone went roaming, in the country where Fido offers coverage: Canada. 

This isn't the first time it has happened and I have a reason to believe that I am charged extra for roaming when I have always been in the same city.  

Before anyone says: restart phone and the usual common sense troubleshooting stuff, that has already been done. I have to be on airplane mode, paying money even extra too for services I do not get. I can't even get calls. To me, that is dishonest. 

Should I leave Fido? I am considering it. Virgin and Telus never had that issue with roaming IN Canada, may I reiterate. 

Fix it Fido, or I walk. Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hinghie,

Welcome to the community!

Are you located near or around the US border? If not, then it's likely the roaming to which you refer is on extended coverage. There are many factors which can affect cellular reception, including proximity to the cellular towers. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here. Even though you might be technically within Fido/Rogers coverage, there can small pockets where some devices cannot receive signal from the Fido/Rogers cellular towers. If those areas are also covered by other Canadian cellular towers, your phone will connect to those cellular towers as Fido-EXT.

There is no additional charge for usage on extended coverage. However, you should note that its usage is only meant on a temporary basis. The majority of your usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks. Could your phone have been using extended coverage?

On the other hand, if you are located close to a US border, it's possible that your phone has connected to a US cellular towers because sometimes those signals are stronger. If that's the case, you should contact customer service to inform them of the location where this occurs. There are supposed to be measures in place to prevent the roaming close to the border. However, there may be some cellular towers which have not yet been identified as problematic. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers