cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working

Nicole1995
I'm a participant level 3

Why is it ever time I’m in port perry Ontario my data stops working then once I’m out of the town it comes back on this is very annoying as I work there 

14 REPLIES 14

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Nicole1995,

Welcome to the community!

Are you unable to use data everywhere in Port Perry or only at your place of work? Are you able to use other services (ie voice and messaging) while in Port Perry? Have you tried to enable data roaming?

If you were using extended coverage (Fido-EXT) while in Port Perry and you're still able to make/receive calls or send/receive messages, it's unlikely access to Fido-EXT has been restricted. Since Fido-EXT is technically roaming on another network, roaming data would need to be enabled for data usage. Is it possible your phone previously had roaming data enabled but has now been disabled?

On the other hand, if you were previously connecting to the Fido/Rogers cellular towers (ie not extended coverage), it's possible there's increased interference (possibly new building) between your location and the cellular tower(s). I understand your phone might have shown full signal, however, are you able to ascertain to which network your phone was connected? For example, full signal on the 2G network wouldn't be sufficient for adequate data transfer. It's also possible that reduced signal from the Fido/Rogers cellular towers (increased interference) has now forced your phone to connect to Fido-EXT. If this is the case, you might also consider enabling roaming data if your phone is now connecting to extended coverage.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

lemdog

I am also in Port Perry and ever since Wednesday roughly morning,  LTE data and iMessage between myself and my wife does not work.  (iphone X and iphone 6 and and we are up to date.)

When i drop my phones cell service down to 3G.......everything works.

As soon as we drive out of town,   those services on LTE seem to work fine again.

checked the network status last night for Port Perry and it said there was an issue and they were working on it. I entered my work address and it said service was up and running.

this morning i checked the status in Port perry and it said everything was now fine,  but still the same issues.

we are not using EXT service,  never had to in Port perry.   granted at our house we get 2-3 bars of LTE but it ALWAYS has worked fine without issues.

Nicole1995

No I can’t use it anywhere on port perry once I go into the town it shuts off an as soon as I leave it comes back on. Yes I can use everything else just can’t use anything that needs data . My text messages and phone calls still work. And I was never using Fido -ext before iv never had this problem before it’s always worked normal.my roaming has never been on. There’s no new buildings nothing has changed 

Hey @lemdog and @Nicole1995!

That's definitely odd, especially since you're both experiencing the same thing.

Can you please report this via the Network Aid section of the Fido app? Also, you can always give us a call and our tech support can take a closer look! Smiley

Hello again,

Hmm, that's strange. Have you been able to ascertain to which network your phone connects in Port Perry? You might consider doing a Field Test to find out. It should provide additional information which may help troubleshoot your problem. As mentioned previously, if your phone is connected to the 2G network, calls and messaging will work but it won't be sufficient for adequate data transfer.

Are you aware of any other Fido/Rogers customers in Port Perry also unable to use their data?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Nicole1995  what's the make and model of your phone? It could be your phone does not have the compatible data bands for the towers in the area. 

Nicole1995

I have an iPhone 8 and no I don’t think that’s what’s wrong because it always worked this just starting happened this week !

Richieeee
I'm a contributor level 1

123.pngI find the issue that your signal is weak in Port Perry.  It shows that there is just one Rogers tower nearby but bell got 3 towers in the town core. You can try to switch your network to Fido-EXT in order to use Bell's tower. But keep in mind, when you use your EXT data more than 50% data in your plan, then Fido will block you and you cannot use EXT network anymore until next billing cycle. 

But keep in mind, when you use your EXT data more than 50% data in your plan, then Fido will block you and you cannot use EXT network anymore until next billing cycle. 

Hey @Richieeee It does not reset on your next cycle. 

Ext-Coverage.jpg

Taken from here.

Nicole1995

No that’s not the problem!!  I still have lots of data cause I can use it in Peterborough with out wifi it’s when I go into port perry it stops working !!!! I still have data 

@Nicole1995 wrote:

No that’s not the problem!!  I still have lots of data cause I can use it in Peterborough with out wifi it’s when I go into port perry it stops working !!!! I still have data 

@Nicole1995 it could be that when you are in Peterborough you are connected to a Rogers/Fido tower so it works but when you go into Port Perry it connects to the Extended Network and it could be that you have been on the Extended Network for too long so your line got restricted, that can explain why it used to work but recently stopped. 

You can call Fido and they can check if your line got restricted.

Nicole1995

well it ever work then ? And yah I’ll have to call Fido tomorrow 

Richieeee

Did you receive any signal? Please try to reboot your phone and see if it works.

Nicole1995

Yea a get full signal an iv tried reboting my phone nothing