cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for Directory Assistance.

BR11
I'm a participant level 2

I was charged for Directory Assistance which I did not use. You can look up any number on the internet, why would you use Directory Assistance. I contacted Fido and they said there was nothing they could do about it. So sorry too bad. The $4.50 charge for something I did not do seems very excessive. I let them know that when I go to renew my phone they will not be be my cell provider. I notice this has happened to other people. Not sure what triggers this bogus charge. 

8 REPLIES 8

judelf
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Same thing just happened to us. 4 directory assistance calls when we tried to call the BC Covid line. They have the wrong number on their website - we had no idea we were being charged for directory assistance. And nowhere to dispute it.

FidoFaiza

Hi @BR11

Canadian telephone directory is a paid service and everytime 411 is dialed, $4.50 is charged. 

Is it possible that you dialled by mistake or borrowed your phone to someone who did? 

BR11

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that, maybe dialled by accident. But to my knowledge I never made a 411 call. No one else ever uses my cell phone. 

It's possible that it was dialled by accident, @BR11. Rest assured we only charge you for the usage that was actually made on your sim. 

Edog

The same thing happened to me. I phoned Fido and even though I never actually used directory assistance, she said my sim card registered that I did, and too bad nothing can be done about the charge. We're you able to get the charge reversed?

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Edog,

Welcome to the Fido community!

Have you verified the call history on your phone to see if you made the call by mistake? I've noticed some phones and even the SIM cards come pre-programmed with those numbers and I would just delete them.

Edog

Yes, I can see it in my history. I must have been searching for something and mistakenly hit on something that started to dial it, but I would have immediately logged out. I just think it's wrong to be charged for a service I never actually used.

The amount isn't huge, but if they can charge without  anyone being able to dispute, then it can add up to a lot. 

Hello Edog,

Welcome to the community!

@Edog wrote:...charged for a service I never actually used....

You should note that the service is charged by call, not by service received. I understand you might have ended the call as soon as you noticed, however, if the call connected, it would have been charged.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers