cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing data plan - activation fee - no help from Fido support.

HansKlos
I'm a contributor level 1

We are Fido clients since 2020. In August 2022 in one of Fido stores, we upgraded our data plan on two lines, and immediately we were charged an activation fee of $50 each. After talking to the Fido store rep we were told that this fee will be refunded automatically after two months. Today I followed up with Karen from customer service and knowing how difficult her job is I didn't feel for a second that she was trying to help me at all. She was sending me back to the store and of course, the Fido store is sending me back to Fido customer service. At this point I decided to escalate and asked Karen about her supervisor/manager's contact information and of course I was only provided with generic support tel number. I don't understand how you can be charged twice for activation if you only change/upgrade your data plan.

12 REPLIES 12

HansKlos

Another BS: I do apologize it has been a year and we can only waive the charges within the first three billing cycle after the upgrade, the procedure and policies are different for store and online customer care, if it would be in my hands then I can do it in my first thought but I do apologize I cannot waive you the charges.

HansKlos

You guys are good at giving advice and passing the ball from store to the call center. Here is a reply from my last chat:

I do apologize Tomasz, I has been a year and you upgrade the plan via store and I didn't see any notes regarding the setup service fees to be waive off to you so you have to contact the store about this as if customer upgrade from store then only the store is responsible for the setup service fees to be credited.
Palwinder9:36 AM

HansKlos

Almost one year later, still no refund from Fido. Several calls and chats with support. WOW Boutique promised a refund again but we never receive any credits or refund. 

HansKlos

and BTW, you know that you can always call me and usually I answer right away.

Hello HansKlos,

Happy New Year!

Sorry to hear you're still having this issue. However, as previously mentioned, the set-up fee is generally applied on purchases with customer assistance (ie in-store or Live Chat, etc). That fee is waived if the purchase was done ourselves via Fido.ca.

Occasionally, stores might have their own promotions to waive those fees. However, those promotions would be store-specific and they would need to apply the proper code at the time of purchase. That's why you were previously told you needed to return to the store so they may verify your plans should have availed of that particular promotion. 

@HansKlos wrote:

and BTW, you know that you can always call me and usually I answer right away.

I understand you have already gone over all of this with customer service. I am only replying to your post requesting that someone call you. You should note that the forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to your account nor phone number. If you would like to further discuss your situation, you would need to re-contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. I also understand that wait-times contacting customer service may be extended as it is a busy time for them. Unfortunately, customer service being busy does not make this forum an alternate source to contact them (or request them contact you). We do our best to provide any information we can to answer general queries. Your situation would require specific inquiries and access to your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

HansKlos

After 4 months waiting it doesn't look like I'll get my $50x2 Setup Service Fee back. Fido waiting time is 1-2hrs and chat support is nonexistent!  As much as I like their service and plan prices I'm seriously thinking about changing provider. Canada mobile and Internet servise is 20years behind whole world. New year resolution: change my mobile service provider.

Hey there @HansKlos

Sorry to hear that you were unable to get the help needed when contacting us. It's good to know that you don't have to visit the store again to have this looked into, our call center agents should be able to fully assist you with confirming what offers were available at the time of your activation.

As your request is account specific, we'll need to access your account to better assist you. To do so, please reach out to us on these channels and we'll be happy to review the situation.

HansKlos

Fido phone support is not available and waiting time is 1 to 2 hours. I spent one hour chatting with an agent who just bounce back the ball to the store and he said he can do nothing about it unless the store tells him that they have an error, and then he can reimburse us. 

HansKlos

Update on my previous post

I was waiting for 4 months and still didn't receive my credit for two lines ($100). Fido support waiting time is 1 to 2hrs. Support chat just pass the ball to the store and store is sending me back to the Fido call center support. I have the same account from 2020 and they claimed that it was activated in July 2022!!! What a mess. 

HansKlos

Thank you for the explanation. As recommended, I will wait until the next billing cycle.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @HansKlos,

The $50 fee gets charged when any Fido agent process a plan change or device upgrade for you per line the only way to avoid this is if you do it yourself through any of the self-serve methods.

Stores usually have offers/promotions where you will be credited back the $50 fee that usually happens on your 2nd or 3rd invoice since you are on your second invoice I would suggest you wait until you receive your 3rd invoice and if the credit is not there then you can contact customer service.

You were charged once for each line as the transactions are separate.

HansKlos

Thank you but what should I do now, it's been 3 months and I don't see any credits in the month of November. Wait until December or call customer service?