Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

I'm a Participant Level 3 ranata
I'm a Participant Level 3

Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

My cellular data and roaming not working most of the time. I'm missing on important calls and emails, can not use navigation... Why am I paying for the plan with data if I have no data?!!! Your tech support sucks - instead of help got a sales pitch to purchase new phone. Seriously?!!

Nothing wrong with my phone. And as I noticed lots of your customers having the same issue. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
MVP
MVP

Re: Cellular data not working! Roaming not working!

Hello tt13,

Had you tried to manually select the provider when you were in Dallas?

@Cawtau wrote:...  As previously mentioned, you might have to manually switch networks while in the US. Fido/Rogers coverage outside of Canada relies on the local infrastructure at the destination. The coverage of some providers might not be as extensive as others. In addition, it's possible a location might not get any coverage. You can get an idea of cellular coverage at your destination here..

Fido/Rogers customers generally roam with AT&T or T-Mobile. There have been situations where one provider will work for voice and/or messages, but not necessarily for data. It all depends on your location(s) relative to the cellular towers as well as the bands/frequencies available at those cellular towers.

**edit** If the issue is related to the local infrastructure, there might not be much Fido/Rogers can do to improve the situation. In addition, it's possible the issue might still exist with a different Canadian provider.**

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 22
I'm a Contributor Level 1 tt13
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Not possible. Set to automatic. When I turn of auto it just searches indefinitely. I've explained.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 22
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

I apologise, but it wasn't mentioned in your earlier posts...

To which provider was your phone connected? On what network (ie 2G, '3G', or LTE)? Is it possible there were no other suitable networks available at your location?

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 1 Al_Daigen
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm a new Fido customer jumping in to confirm that I have had these problems with data roaming in the US too. In Chicago, San Francisco and Buffalo--all major US centers where all major US carriers have dense cellular coverage--my Fido phone defaulted to ATT and gave me voice and text, but no data, In Buffalo I tried switching to Sprint and T-Mobile--still no data access. Tried network reset--did not help. Tried resetting phone to factory defaults--no help. Tried setting up APN for Fido LTE mobile--still no data.

My phone is a Google Pixel XL, purchased from Best Buy in Canada. Google tech support confirms that there is only one model of Google Pixel XL sold in North America, and that if a phone works in Canada, it should work in the US too.

I have already worked my way up Fido's tech support chain to the Office of the President and had had two conversations with my advisor there, Félicien, in an attempt to resolve this issue proactively before my trip to Buffalo. He was supposed to get back to me last Wednesday, April 24, 2019, the day before that trip, but he never did. I've left several messages since, and he has not returned my call yet.

I did a quick, informal survey of a number of Canadian friends attending the same event in Buffalo. One friend, a Telus customer with an Android phone, was data roaming on T-Mobile in Buffalo with no problems. Two other friends were Rogers customers with iPhones--one of them was data roaming without problems, while the other had no data.

I'm suspecting that Fido and Rogers have some dirty secret regarding US data roaming in general and US data roaming on LTE networks in particular--that there really are some unresolved technical or business issues between them and their US roaming partners, and that unless and until those problems are solved, they plan to just keep blaming the handset vendors and the US networks instead of cleaning up their own act.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 22

Hello @Al_Daigen and welcome to the Community.

I can definitely understand that going to the US and not having access to your data couldn't be the best experience.

I can assure you that roaming works in the US for Fido and we don't have any known issue right now concerning this.

I would like to take a look at what was discussed so far on your account concerning this. 

I'm sending you a PM now, talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 22
I'm a Participant Level 2 Msvenne
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am having the same issue near Orlando Florida and Washington DC.  Android device samsung galaxy s7.  I can see bars and att.  But can't connect to GPS app or get any Internet while out of wifi zone.  Seems like I have to connect manually to attend network as others have mentioned

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 22

Hi @Msvenne

What's the error message when you try accessing your internet browser? Can you make sure your Data Roaming is ON; you can check that in the Settings. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 22