cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access voicemail from other devices

si
I'm a contributor level 2

Bad day with Fido today.  I tried accessing my voicemail from another device, as I almost always do, and line would cut off right after I'm asked what my phone number is.  I tried with several devices, and it would occur repeatedly, calling Fido voice mail number, being greeted by automated voice asking me to enter my phone number, and then being cut off. Normally, after I enter my number, I'm asked to then enter my 4 digit PIN, and then I can retrieve any messages I may have.  Not today!  I called Fido customer service, on the French side, and both agents I ended up speaking to blew me off, saying whatever the trouble was, it was not at their end, it was at my end. Unbelievably, they told me the only way to access my Fido voicemail has always been by using my Fido handset.  It is not possible to access Fido voicemail thru other devices. That's what I was told, again, unbelievably enough.  I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that would be futile because the supervisor would only repeat what I had just been told.  I repeated that I wanted to speak to a supervisor, and eventually the agent said the supervisor was in a meeting and could not talk to me. In my 20 odd years with Fido, this is probably the worst custimer service I've had.  I called again later in the day, after I'd cooled off a bit, this time decided to try the English side of customer service, and the difference was day and night. I explained the issue to the agent, and she replied that some Fido customers are currently having trouble with accessing voicemail from other devices, and it's something to do with current system migration process undergoing at Fido, and that the problem should be fixed within a few days.  

13 REPLIES 13

FidoLony

Hey @si,

Welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to read about your experience there. Nonetheless, I'm also glad to also see you were able to get some insight on the situation!

Are you able to reach your voicemail from another number now? 

si

Hi @FidoLony, thank you for your reply.  I was still unable to access my voice mail when attempting to do so from another device or number, that is right until just now.  All this time, and I don't know for how many long years it's been, I've always dialed Fido Voice mail retrieval number +1 514-583-8210 (I'm in Quebec). That number has always been the one I used to check my voice messages. 

Just now, as an experiment, I had the idea to dial another province's Fido Voice mail retrieval number, using a free phone call internet service. I dialed Fido's Ontario Voice mail retrievel number, +1 416-822-1123, and to my surprise, I was able to successfully access my voice mail.  

Calling +1 514-583-8210, as I always did in the past, no longer takes me to my voice mail, it cuts off right after the automated voice asks me to enter my Fido number. 

I am guessing that maybe this +1 514-583-8210 is being worked on, phased out, whatever, maybe that's what the Fido agent, the nice English-speaking one, meant when she said something about internal system migration process going on at Fido lately.

I'm glad that you were able to reach it with another retrieval number! 

I did some digging on my end here, and I do see the current retrieval number is: +1 416 821-6549 or +1 647-839-9169 for our regular mini voicemail. You can keep using the other number you got (+1 416-822-1123) to reach your voicemail if it's still working fine! 😊

I can't seem to find anything regarding the previous retrieval number (+1 514-583-8210). However, it's possible that the number is no longer used as a voicemail retrieval number. 

si

Thank you for your reply @FidoLony  

As I mentioned, the +1 514 583-8210 number was the number I'd always used, at least for the last decade, to retrieve my voice messages when on another device/number.  I'm surprised you could not find anything regarding this +1 514 583-8210 number, it had always been a Fido retrieval number for Quebec, it is among the numbers listed in this post by @FidoAmandaH from January 2014.

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Support/What-is-Fido-voicemail-number/td-p/28481

The first two Fido agents I contacted three days ago for help after I discovered that I couldn't reach my voice mail were obviously not aware of what was happening with the +1 514 583-8210 number.  What I found objectionable and not right was being told in an arrogant, condescending manner that it was my problem to deal with, not Fido's, and that if I didn't want to access my voice mail directly from my own phone (in order to save money), I should consider switching to a better plan..

The link you sent me does provide that information. However, it's dated back to 2014. Much has changed since then. 😅

I did get informed that we are changing our voicemail platform, and this could have discontinued the number you once used to reach the voicemail. You can use the numbers we confirmed prior to reach the voicemail from another device.

Regarding the experience you got over the phone, I'd like to take your feedback to ensure this won't happen again. I'll send you a PM so we can get the details. 😊  

KRS03
I'm a participant level 3

Hi @si, @FidoLony 

The same situation exists in B.C.  All 3 numbers are active and I get an answer with the normal recording to enter your Fido number followed by #.   After entering your number there is no further response.

It is clear that these numbers are still correct - a Fido automated service answers.  It is also clear that the service is faulty.   I use it frequently and it is somehow damaged now. 

Please dig in a bit deeper.  I sincerely wish to have a local number to retrieve voicemail.

Thanks,

@KRS03 

Hello KRS03,

Just to clarify, are you trying to access your voicemail from your Fido phone or from another device? 

From your Fido phone:

Press and hold the "1" key on your phone for a few seconds to access your Voice Messaging service.
Enter your access code when prompted.
Follow the instructions to listen to your messages.

From any other phone:

Call your own Fido phone number.
Press the "#" key during your greeting message.
Enter your access code when prompted.
Follow the instructions to listen to your messages

~taken from here.

From what I can gather, it sounds like you're trying to access your voicemail from a different phone. If that's the case, you should be dialling your own number, not the voicemail access numbers.

If you're tryng to call from your device, have you tried to set-up the voicemail number in your phone?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KRS03

@Cawtau ,

Yes you mentioned correctly what I was attempting to do:  From a local or nearby landline, I had called one of 3 active Fido message service numbers (604-618-1123, 778-317-6408, 778-317-5607). 

FYI:  Hitting # while listening to the outgoing message after dialing our Fido mobile number did work, eventually.  During the first two trys, it said "I've cancelled your message, to leave a message...."   Seems that it works consistently now though. 

The local access numbers are answering, they just aren't working correctly.  It would be nice if the systerm were fixed.  There are advantages to having a different number for voicemails.  

Hello again,

I'm glad to hear that you are able to access your voicemail by dialling your phone number.

@KRS03 wrote:...The local access numbers are answering, they just aren't working correctly.  It would be nice if the systerm were fixed.  There are advantages to having a different number for voicemails.  

I understand some of those numbers might connect, however as per the solution above, they changed the voicemail platform so that is the likely reason they are not working correctly. Since the system has changed, it's unlikely those phone numbers will be active anymore. As noted in the voicemail link provided in my previous post, these are the current voicemail retrieval numbers:

Regular voicemail: +1 416 821-6549

Visual voicemail for iPhones : +1 647 839-6178

Don’t worry about the area code being different than your own; these two numbers apply to all Fido customers across Canada.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KRS03

@Cawtau wrote:

Regular voicemail: +1 416 821-6549

Unfortunately this number gives me the same result.  It has the same recorded message, hangs up after I enter our mobile number.   C'est la vie -- I guess.  Platform needs a new leg or two. 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @KRS03,

We'd like to take a closer look into it, I'm sending you a PM  to get started.

Talk soon!

NullandVoid
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Yes, ... um? That exactly what is happening. From a ROGERS phone. Dialing the FIDO Voicemail retrevail number. After entering the FIDO phone number. Followed by the '#' key. It hangs up.

It had worked before. Now I have a Motorola E3 phone.

Everything else works just, ... PEACHY. ... Um, ... k?

I keep the BELLS off for all those annoying SMS Text Messages though, ... (morons).

If you can't call me in PERSON, ... don't bother, ... ?

XOXOXO, ... and THANKS,

Hello NullandVoid,

I apologise, I'm not quite understanding the specifics of your situation... Is the Motorola E3 the Rogers phone from which you're trying to access your voicemail? Is your Fido SIM in that Motorola E3? Are you dialling the Fido voicemail retrieval number directly?

If you are using your Fido SIM in that Rogers Motorola E3 phone, you should be accessing your voicemail by pressing and holding 1, as mentioned above. If the voicemail retrieval number is not setup on your phone, you can see how to set it up here. By accessing your voicemail using this method, you are not required to enter your Fido phone number as it is identified automatically. Once connected, the system will ask for your access code.

On the other hand, if your Fido SIM is not in that Rogers Motorola E3 phone, you should be accessing your Fido voicemail by calling your own Fido phone number.

In either case, you shouldn't be dialling the Fido voicemail retrieval number directly.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers