cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from the Chinese dept ?

Momontherun
I'm a participant level 1

Why am I receiving calls from Parry Sound that are claiming to be the Fido Chinese Department ? A message in English stating it’s fido, then a long Chinese message. 

Please advise !

17 REPLIES 17

Lross
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

I received a call from Fido Customer Service (888-481-3436) this afternoon which appears to be one of these scam calls.  It was a recorded messge in Chinese that lasted 25 seconds and then hung up.

The real problem is that it took over 45 minutes to get in touch with Fido to find out whether this was actually a call from Fido or not. There was no record of Fido calling me today.

Blocking the number is not an option because I want to actually receive calls from Fido customer service if I have a customer service issue.  Which I do in that Fido seems to be blaming COVID-19 for all their shortfalls.  They can't answer phone calls in under 45 minutes, they can't get "Jack" to transfer me to a "Live Chat" person, they can't accept cash for anything, and the list goes on.  

I wonder what the next excuse Fido will have for poor customer service?

Hey there @Lross, thank you for bringing this up to our attention, however, I can assure you that this is not from us. 

However, if you need to get clarification, we can take a look at this with you, you can either contact customer service or we can send you a PM!

Let us know what you prefer!

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Momontherun,

Welcome to our Community! 

Those calls aren't from us, it's a scam! We get how irritating they can be and we do what we can to minimise their chances of them getting in touch with you. Avoid picking up those calls as much as possible and make sure to block the unwanted calls by blocking the caller's number. 

I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Learn more about how you can protect yourself from Spam Calls here.

alexnd19

 The problem is, the displayed number from scammer IS the ACTUAL Fido customer service number...

IMG_4084.jpeg

Hey @alexnd19 Smiley

When we place outgoing calls to customers, the phone number displayed usually isn't the same one as for incoming calls to customer service.

It's indeed possible that some fraudulent callers are using Caller ID Spoofing to copy our customer service phone number, unfortunately. 

F1dorocks

What do I do change number or what

Hey @F1dorocks,

I moved your post on this thread. You can find more about how you can protect yourself from Spam calls above.

MyNumberRules

unfortunately they change numbers or at least it appears that way. I get calls from all sort of number but the message is exactly the same. I looked up one of the numbers and it was a boat company in the USA.

Blocking all these numbers might have unwanted consequences later on as some of these numbers belong to legitimate businesses. somehow their true number is being masked.

Is there another way of finding and blocking the source of these calls?

Hello MyNumberRules,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. There isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

You're right, blocking the spoofed numbers is not feasible. Blocking innocent customers for no reason is not acceptable. That's why the mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. Blocking numbers simply based on their apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS would result in honest customers having difficulties using their services.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

I keep getting calls from a recording that says, This is a Chinese prompt from Fido wireless and then continues into a message in Chinese. I neither care for this constant interruption to my day nor do I speak Chinese so this is a waste of mine and everyone else's time. How do we get this to STOP. I'M SICK AND TIRED of this.

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @AldoM

We moved your post to this thread as it covers the information relating to this topic. 

Knighthunter007
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

CALLS FROM FIDO CHINESE VOICE MESSAGING SERVICE / CHINESE DEPT / FIDO CHINESE SERVICE

Hello! i just received an automated phone call from Fido "Chinese Dept".... I am not Chinese nor do I speak it . i understand these calls might be fraudlant / scams 

I live in Ontario and i get calls from random numbers the last which was from (866) 888-3446, when I called it back, it said its some dating site number.. i didnt note down all the numbers but its getting a bit annoying as i cant just block each and every number as for that i would need to pick up the call.

Fido, you need to look into this right away as our numbers could be getting hacked... (if not my number) but it could be someone else's.....

I have received calls like this from "other" companies / people and when i call back and ask they say that they had never called me and are unaware of what is going on.

If someone would contact me please.

ps... you need to add the topic of Fraudulent / Scam calls as they are happening more and more every day.

Hello Fido

I just got another call within a span of 40 mins ... 

1st call today came in at 1:11pm EST from  (866) 888-3446

2nd call came in today at 1:51pm EST from  (866) 888-3436

so ive been looking at other posts and people who have the same problem and from what i can tell just by reading the frustration from everyone is that we are being asked to change our number which is NOT an option to anyone .. ive been blocking every number that i get but i do not want to block ALL calls from a 1866 number as they could be from a customer service provider or anyone from another company.

just an update the time right now is 2:00pm EST and i got a 3rd call from 866 - 888 - 3446

please see the screen shot of the 3 calls that have come in today thus far Capture+_2020-10-08-14-02-49.png

Hello @FidoSaad  @Cawtau  @FidoDaniela 

This is day 2 and i have again started to get Calls from so called FIDO Chinese services ... first call came in at 12:03 pm EST from (866) 859-6095 and the next call came in within 20 mins from (866) 856 1371 at 12:18pm EST. i have been blocking all calls from Fido chinese service for the past few days ... but is the only Solution ? i dont want to block Numbers from (866) as they could be other companies and my phone only has the option to block numbers starting with .. so that wont help much ... other then the National Do no call list .. is there anythnig Fido can do other then asking to Change my number ? 

When calling (866) 859-6095 it goes to a voice mail asking if you need a medical alert 

when calling (866) 856 1371 it comes back that the number is not assigned.

Would appreciate some assistance. 

Hello Knighthunter007,

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls. You should note that those calls are not from Fido. While Fido does have Chinese-speaking customer service, those calls are from scammers trying to target their Chinese customer base.  I understand it appears like they might be targeting Fido customers, however, none of the providers are immune to the SPAM calls everyone has been receiving. In fact, the problem is broader than solely a Canadian issue -- it's Worldwide (see here).

As you may be aware, the calls are often being made using spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. There isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

Blocking the spoofed numbers at the network level is not feasible. While the numbers calling you appeared to come from toll-free numbers, other schemes involve numbers which appear similar to your own (neighbour spoofing) or even your own number (mirroring). Blocking innocent customers for no reason is not acceptable. That's why the mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. Blocking numbers simply based on their apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS would result in honest customers having difficulties using their services.

I understand some apps might offer that service. However, those blocking lists only affect people who opt to use those apps. Honest customers who might actually own those numbers can still use their services, just not to call people using those apps. If a mobile provider were to do the same, honest customers would have difficulties using their services.

I also understand some have suggested implementing a system where the callers are required to dial a specified number before calls are completed. While that system might seem reasonable to limit robocalls, there are some legitimate automatic calls which would also be blocked (ie pharmacies, doctors' offices, libraries, etc).

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hey @Knighthunter007

I merged your post to this thread since it's about the same topic.

You will find the solution to this on this thread.

Our support team is aware that our customers are getting those types of calls and are working constantly to stop those.