cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 GB / $10 tablet data plan - Does not support incoming SMS as advertised

ef4
I'm a contributor level 2

Hello, I have spoken with several live chat and phone agents now, and every single one of them confirms that the current 4 GB / $10 tablet data plan supports unlimited incoming texts. Also, in the Fido app, the plan description states:

FEATURES:

4GB Data

Unlimited Incoming Text

Call Forwarding - 20¢/minute

Billed Usage-Invoice Details

Detailed Billing

However, incoming SMS messages simply never arrive. Many others out there have confirmed the same thing, that incoming texts simply don't work. Of the agents I have conversed with, they have even provided cut-and-paste descriptions of my plan, which indicate that incoming text is supported. I have also confirmed with an agent that no blocking of incoming texts is on my account,. Yet, incoming texts don't work.

Thus, I suspect that the descriptions of the plan that the agents are reading and which my Fido app lists, are simply wrong. Or else, something at the back end on the technical side isn't set properly.

Can someone please reconcile this for me? Either the plan does NOT include this feature and the description of the plan is wrong, or else customers with this plan are not getting what is advertised for this plan.

Please don't just tell me incoming texts should work fine, because three agents have already told me this, and many of us out there have already confirmed that they don't.

21 REPLIES 21

ef4

Here is the description of the plan, which clearly indicates incoming SMS is supported:

IMG_8311.PNG

Hello Ef4,

Happy Holidays!

As far as I am aware, the data-only plans do not support any text messages (neither incoming or outgoing) anymore (see here). The data-only plans used to allow voice and messaging on a pay-per-use basis. I think some of the older data-only plans might still allow them as a part of a grandfathered plan. However, the new data-only plans do not support either.

Hope this helps! 😀

Cheers

ef4

Thanks. That may be so, but my plan description clearly states that it includes unlimited incoming texts and three different agents on three different occasions have “confirmed” it to be included in the plan. However this just seems to be false. 

Basically, I’d like to see either incoming texts supported as advertised or else they should correct the plan description in the app and correct the info that the agents are reading when they “confirm” these plan features to us. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @ef4,

Essentially data only plans will provide you with the data feature only. They no longer support talk and text on a pay per use basis as before.

I'll also be sending you a PM so we can take a closer look. Talk to you soon!

Hey all!

We received confirmation that the plan does indeed include the capability to receive incoming SMS. The Unlimited Incoming Text feature is added to prevent customers from being charged incoming SMS in the event they put their SIM card in a phone, as incoming SMS are free.

That said, not all tablets support SMS capability – if SMS is supported on the tablet, then the manufacturer will include an SMS app in the OS out of the box; if not supported, then an SMS app would not be built into the OS.

Hope this helps Smiley

bfdy
I'm a participant level 3

@FidoSaad 

I am unable to receive SMS, since the unlimited incoming text feature is confirmed, who can help to solve this issue? Thanks in advance!

Hello @bfdy

You would need to have a built in App on your Tablet. What device + OS are you using right now?

bfdy

I used the sim on my mobile phone, it has working sms app.

bfdy

Neither iphone8 or "android 10 + oneplus" works, btw

Thank you for confirming @bfdy

Let's take a quick look at your account to get to the bottom of this.

Talk to you soon.

docmadcow
I'm a participant level 1

Kenny did you manage to get to the bottom of this?  I have the same issue with my 4GB / $15 plan.  I've spoken to the support reps multiple times and I always give up after about an hour.  My plan says it includes unlimited incoming text messages yet like everyone else it doesn't work.

Hey there @docmadcow, welcome to the community!

In fact, we have taken a look at this and we came to the conclusion that the plan does indeed include incoming text messages, however, not all tablets are compatible with this feature. 

If you'd like for us to troubleshoot with you, you can always contact us.

Hope this helped! 

Hi Community!

Just wanted to provide an update on incoming SMS with our current data-only plans.

These plans are intended for tablets and incoming SMS will not work. They do however still have an incoming SMS option attached but the only incoming SMS that will work are alerts such as the $50 data overage notification. Regular texts will unfortunately not be received.

If you have one of these plans are not not using it on a tablet and need text messaging don't hesitate to contact us so that we can review your options for a different plan. Thank you! 

mikelevans212

Same issue here, can not receive sms .

In the system details , shows unknown number as well. 

Plan details show Unlimited incoming text !!!

Hey @mikelevans212 !

The incoming SMS option is used for messages we would send on our end such as the $50 data overage notification. Regular texts will not be received with this feature. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Jonavin1

Does it include SMS text for port out requetss?  If not, how do we confirm a port out if we wish to transfer our data/tablet phone number?

Hello @Jonavin1,

You will need to let the other provider know it's a data-only line and not a cellphone line and I believe they will do the port as if it's a landline. 

75Rhen
I'm a participant level 2

How can we use the phone number for call or text confirmation/ authentication?

There are apps and personal accounts that require the sms text or call to verify the phone number.

Is there any app we can use to at least receive the text? or use it as a single use?

Hi there @75Rhen

Data only plans are not compatible with sms or calls. Please use a phone to receive your sms confirmations and calls. 

75Rhen

I am currently using and Iphone6+ and still could not get a sms or call.

Is there ar way I could get sms or call only for a day or pay for any incoming sms?