Cannot connect to router modem

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Cannot connect to router modem

Hi:

I wish to change my wifi password and unable to access the router admin page on 198.162.0.1. The page keeps searching and times out. When conected via ethernet port, there is no access to router admin page.

Please help.

CB

***Edited to add labels***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 19
Highlighted

Re: Cannot connect to router modem

@Canadianbania wrote:

Hi:

I wish to change my wifi password and unable to access the router admin page on 198.162.0.1. The page keeps searching and times out. When conected via ethernet port, there is no access to router admin page.

Please help.

CB

@Canadianbania Can you connect to the WiFi and get internet access? 

If you are having issues connection via ethernet port make sure your ethernet adapter on the computer is enabled. Try taking out the power adapter on the modem wait a few seconds then plug it back in and see if you can connect to it now.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 19
Highlighted

Thank you for taking time to reply. Ethernet port is working fine, but my attempt is to access the admin page -which is not accessible via ethernet as well as wifi.

CB

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 19
Highlighted

@Canadianbania Did you change your IP for the router? Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig hit enter and see what it says for default gateway.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 19
Highlighted

Thanks again. The IP is the default IP 192.168.0.1. confirmed with ipconfig command as well.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 19
Highlighted

@Canadianbania when you did the ipconfig command were you connected to WiFi or ethernet? Can you try clearing your browser cache.

What OS are you using?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 19
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Canadiabania!

Here's a page that can help you!

Set up your home Wi-Fi network (Use your smartphone, tablet or computer to get started with Fido Easy Connect):

1. Make sure that your device’s Wi-Fi is turned on (usually through a Settings or Connections option).
  2. Check for available Wi-Fi networks and connect to the one named Fido*****-EasyConnect (the asterisks are just the last digits of the serial number labelled on your modem).
    1. Open a web browser and follow the simple steps on screen to test your modem connection and customize your home Wi-Fi network names and password. Click on LET’S GO to start.
    2. Click on TEST CONNECTION to make sure your modem’s good to go.
    3. Enter the name and password that you want to use for your Wi-Fi networks and click FINISH SET-UP.
    4. Your password must be at least 8 characters.
    5. Confirm your network name and password. From this screen you can also learn about the two networks generated by the Fido Wi-Fi Modem (the 2.4 GHz network and the 5 GHz network), then click COMPLETE MY SET-UP
    6. On the final screen you’ll see your Wi-Fi network names and password and your device will disconnect to finalize the set-up.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 19
Highlighted

I am on Win10. Checked ipconfig on wifi.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 19
Highlighted

Thank you for the response.

My attempt is not for setting up new connection. I wish to change settings of existing connection and cannot access admin page of router via 192.168.0.1

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 19
Highlighted

@Canadianbania Sometimes when I have issues connecting to a modem or router the easy fix is to set the computer IP manually if you do not knowhow to do that follow this guide here.

and use these values

• IP address  192.168.0.10
  • Subnet mask  255.255.255.0
  • Default gateway 192.168.0.1
  • DNS 192.168.0.1

Also make sure you are using 192.168.0.1 because I just notice is your original post you mention you were using 198.162.0.1

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 19