Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to router modem

Canadianbania
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi:

I wish to change my wifi password and unable to access the router admin page on 198.162.0.1. The page keeps searching and times out. When conected via ethernet port, there is no access to router admin page.

Please help.

CB

***Edited to add labels***

18 REPLIES 18

Canadianbania

Update:

Called telephone support and he could not perform remote diagnostics. Ended up performing hard reset on the router and reinstallation.

2 New issues :

1. Anyway to change the default username for the router? cusadmin is default and dont see any options to rename it.

2. When clicking 'off' for SSID broadcast, the modem actually disables the wifi instead of the SSID broadcast - which I think is an error. Wanted to create a hidden network but cannot.

CB

Silk
I'm a participant level 2

I have the same issue as you do.

Incidentally ever since the Hitron gateway shows up as can't be found (started happening a few days ago) my internet usage on Fido's website has been showing up as 0 for each day's use, which can't be true because I have been using an average of 10GB a day.  Called into Fido and they opened up a ticket.

Cheers,

Silk.

Silk

Update: I solved the issue myself by simply unplugging the device and plugging it back in.  I was then able to access the gateway website address and login.

However it didn't solve my issue of no data usage being reported in MyAccount on the Fido website.  The Hitron itself showed about 8.5GB of WAN activity since rebooting yesterday morning and yet when I logged into Fido today it still showed no usage for yesterday. So it appears the two are separate issues.

My fear is that Fido will come back to me in the future and bill me for a ton of unreported data usage or for somehow trying to game the system.  But I did open up a ticket and reported it so hopefully I showed I acted in good faith.

Cheers,

Silk.

Hi @Canadianbania

You can not change the username as for the SSID broadcast problem it definetly should not disable the WiFi try rebooting the modem and try it again if problem persists you can try another reset and if you still get the problem I would recommend getting a new modem from Fido. 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Canadianbania wrote:

Hi:

I wish to change my wifi password and unable to access the router admin page on 198.162.0.1. The page keeps searching and times out. When conected via ethernet port, there is no access to router admin page.

Please help.

CB

Hello Canadianbania,

To clarify, are you using a separate router and modem or are you using the router capabilities of the Fido modem? If you are using a separate router, you might consider trying the router's default IP (found here) to access the admin page. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Canadianbania

@Cawtau wrote:

@Canadianbania wrote:

Hi:

Please help.

CB

Hello Canadianbania,

To clarify, are you using a separate router and modem or are you using the router capabilities of the Fido modem? If you are using a separate router, you might consider trying the router's default IP (found here) to access the admin page. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I dont have separate router. Using the fido router/modem.

Thank you for trying to help.

Did not reach customer support yesterday due to another appointment. Will try calling now.

CB

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Canadianbania wrote:

Hi:

Please help.

CB

@Canadianbania Can you connect to the WiFi and get internet access? 

If you are having issues connection via ethernet port make sure your ethernet adapter on the computer is enabled. Try taking out the power adapter on the modem wait a few seconds then plug it back in and see if you can connect to it now.

Canadianbania

Thank you for taking time to reply. Ethernet port is working fine, but my attempt is to access the admin page -which is not accessible via ethernet as well as wifi.

CB

@Canadianbania Did you change your IP for the router? Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig hit enter and see what it says for default gateway.

Canadianbania

Thanks again. The IP is the default IP 192.168.0.1. confirmed with ipconfig command as well.

@Canadianbania when you did the ipconfig command were you connected to WiFi or ethernet? Can you try clearing your browser cache.

What OS are you using?

Canadianbania

I am on Win10. Checked ipconfig on wifi.

Hey @Canadiabania!

Here's a page that can help you!

Set up your home Wi-Fi network (Use your smartphone, tablet or computer to get started with Fido Easy Connect):

1. Make sure that your device’s Wi-Fi is turned on (usually through a Settings or Connections option).
  2. Check for available Wi-Fi networks and connect to the one named Fido*****-EasyConnect (the asterisks are just the last digits of the serial number labelled on your modem).
    1. Open a web browser and follow the simple steps on screen to test your modem connection and customize your home Wi-Fi network names and password. Click on LET’S GO to start.
    2. Click on TEST CONNECTION to make sure your modem’s good to go.
    3. Enter the name and password that you want to use for your Wi-Fi networks and click FINISH SET-UP.
    4. Your password must be at least 8 characters.
    5. Confirm your network name and password. From this screen you can also learn about the two networks generated by the Fido Wi-Fi Modem (the 2.4 GHz network and the 5 GHz network), then click COMPLETE MY SET-UP
    6. On the final screen you’ll see your Wi-Fi network names and password and your device will disconnect to finalize the set-up.

Hope this helps!

Canadianbania

Thank you for the response.

My attempt is not for setting up new connection. I wish to change settings of existing connection and cannot access admin page of router via 192.168.0.1

@Canadianbania Sometimes when I have issues connecting to a modem or router the easy fix is to set the computer IP manually if you do not knowhow to do that follow this guide here.

and use these values

• IP address  192.168.0.10
  • Subnet mask  255.255.255.0
  • Default gateway 192.168.0.1
  • DNS 192.168.0.1

Also make sure you are using 192.168.0.1 because I just notice is your original post you mention you were using 198.162.0.1

Canadianbania

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@Canadianbania Sometimes when I have issues connecting to a modem or router the easy fix is to set the computer IP manually if you do not knowhow to do that follow this guide here.

and use these values

• IP address  192.168.0.10
  • Subnet mask  255.255.255.0
  • Default gateway 192.168.0.1
  • DNS 192.168.0.1

Also make sure you are using 192.168.0.1 because I just notice is your original post you mention you were using 198.162.0.1

Thank you. I am using 192.168.0.1 - sorry for the typo. 

Did as you requested above, could not connect to internet at all.

Back to Auto obtain IP setting.. Smiley

Thank you for trying to help.

I believe will have to resort to calling tech support. I hape waiting on the phone :(.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.

That is very strange that you still can not login to the modem. If you want you can reset the modem and set it up again and you can use the new password you want when you set it up back. Probably quicker than calling Fido tech support.

Canadianbania

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

That is very strange that you still can not login to the modem. If you want you can reset the modem and set it up again and you can use the new password you want when you set it up back. Probably quicker than calling Fido tech support.

Thank you again for your response.

trying to reach IP 192.168.0.1 gives me a blank page...