cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 GHz WiFi stops working frequently

banli123
I'm a participant level 1

I am using the Fido internet service with its Hitron modem.  The 2.4GHz connection is working perfectly everyday ... but the 5GHz WiFi is disappearing almost everyday.  

1. Distance is not an issue here as I tested it with multiple devices (phone, tabllet, laptop) within 10 feet from the modem.  

2. Whenever the problem happens, I logged in to 192.168.0.1 admin console and the 5GHz status is showing "In Service".  Despite the status, the 5 GHz Wifi is NOT available for connection.  I tried enter the SSID manually in the connecting devices but still not working.

3. My current solution is to reboot the modem.  Usually the 5GHz connection will be working again but it lasts for about a day only

I wonder if this is modem hardware/firmware issue.  I wanna get some inputs from everyone before i request a modem repacement.  Thank you folks.

** Edited to add labels **

11 REPLIES 11

gaosan
I'm a participant level 2

I am a new user of FIDO for about one month. I just realized that my 5G signal is dead. There is not 5G SSID from wifi scaning. After I rebooted my modem, it comes back. I am not sure how long it will keep alive.

My modem is CGN3AMF:

Hardware Version1A
Software Version4.5.8.40T2

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @gaosan

Did you contact our home internet technical support team to have this looked into?

Kymyty14

Help! My 5G keeps dropping off too and I just got a new modem. I am using wifi for a TV and smartphone but it's so annoying because my TV only runs on the 5G network. I have reset the new modem twice and my 5G light is still not working. Now what?!

Hey @Kymyty14

Welcome to the Community Smiley

Have you had the chance to contact our home internet technical support team?

You can reach them by phone or live chat 24/7 on these channels. Let us know!

dabeecro
I have been having this same issue for the past several years myself. About a year ago I did replace my modem but it didn't seem to resolve the issue at all - 5G network still dropping intermittently. Can anyone tell me whether the new wi-fi modem modem firmware trial released Dec 2018 will resolve this issue? Please advise. Thanks Douglas

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @banli123!

I know it's been a while, but I was wondering if you had an update for us Smiley

Is everything working now? Let us know, the resolution can help others that may be experiencing this!

Ros3

I haven't 5G 2 month in Barrie (((( but cusadmin wireless status's enable On!

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

HI ROS3!

Temporarily u can put another router to have a 5ghz and put the Hitron Modem in bridge mode.

Hey @Ros3,

Have you contacted our internet technical support department as suggested by @KAPABLE-K?

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Banli123,

Welcome to the community!

Have you verified there is no interference on the 5GHz channel? If not, you might consider trying a Wifi-analyser app. Most routers or modem/router combination devices would be preset to the same 5GHz channel from the factory. If there are too many devices using the same channel, the interference could be causing the issues you noted.

You should be able to change the channel your modem/router uses for 5GHz in the admin console.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@banli123 It could be an issue with the modem and you might have to do a modem swap. 

Have you tried contacting  Fido Internet technical support? The number is 1-888-236-FIDO (3436)