Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Melod
I'm a participant level 1

when you recieved a text from FIDO telling you to deposit your fido dollars. DONT CLICK THE LINK!!! Its a SCAM. 

I did it and its a fun experience. My mobile bank app was block by my bank and I called the customer service and told me that theres a different DEVICE tries to access my account (tab specifically) which is I dont have any. GREAT! Now I have to reset my phone to be able to access my bank again. 

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Melod

Thanks for sharing this with us. 

Just a heads up that I moved your post here as it is regarding the same topic. 

Thanks! 

Hello Justinhaled,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Bmcelroy

I received the following text

1-250-328 - ****
INTERAC Transfer: We mistakenly overcharged your mobile data for $ 98.53. We sincerely apologize for this mistake. Please follow the steps below to accept your funds: http://188.166.104.37/
06/11/2018

I'm guessing it is a scam as why would a number from Prince George BC be sending me this .Can you please confirm?

That's definitely a scam and not from us @Bmcelroy! We suggest you forward it to the number 7726 so our team can look into it further Smiley

I've also moved your post to this thread as it deals with all spam text messages.

samiya666

I just received this message with a link in it.

Fido Mobility; Your reimbursement has been sent for recent data use. To claim the remaining funds, See
https://mobiliityonliie.com/

Looks fishy from the text 

Definitely not from us @samiya666!

I moved your post here as this thread deals with spam messages Smiley

Please also forward it to 7726 so our team can check it out!

Nayrb
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

BEWARE: Received a text message from 13656508047 for INTERAC e-Transfer

Fido: your account has been overcharged due to system error.

A refund has been sent to you.

Deposit: https://www.fido.ca.invoice71661.com 

Hey @Nayrb

Thanks for reporting this to us!

Make sure to transfer the content of the message to 7726!

blueangel5515

I received this one yesterday. Looks pretty legit but I know better.

Fido has sent you a transfer
fidomoblpy.com
You have accumulated a total of (66.54$) Fido Dollars.
Deposit your money.

Can fido delete these scam sites?

Hey @blueangel5515

I moved your post here as it was a good fit. 

You can see more details about how to forward us this message to us in the accepted solution above. Smiley 

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi

this is not the only problem with fido, my mom's rogers pay as yougo, has also the same txt, just report to rogers /fido antiphishing,

if it is "too good to be true, it is"

Hello Blueangel5515,

Thanks for the information! The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mnawaz
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

How do I report spam calls who claim to be from the CRA tax department. When confronted that they are spamming they abuse. 

Hello Mnawaz,

Thanks for the information!

Unfortunately, there isn't much providers can do to prevent SPAM calls since the spammers/scammers often use spoofed phone numbers. That is, the numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. **edit** Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here)**

While spammers/scammers will also use spoofed numbers when sending SMS SPAM, forwarding the SMS to 7726 (SPAM) allows the SPAM-specific content to be added to the filter -- hopefully reducing the amount of SPAM SMS.

It is recommended to report SPAM to the SPAM Reporting Centre. You can also find additional information here.

Here's an interesting MarketPlace episode investigating scam call centres.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Blayne29

This morning at 11:12 a.m., I received a text message from this telephone number 1-365-400-2060 indicating that "my account (403 39* ****) has been overcharged due to a system issue.  Deposit: https://www.difo.ca.invoice59393.com".

I called Fido to advise the customer service representative that I was speaking with and she recommended that I report to you.

Regards,

Hey @Blayne29,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for letting us know Smiley You can transfer this message to the number 7726 (SPAM). By submitting it, it will allow us to audit and block it from the Fido Network. This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the body of the message, then press the forward button and send to 7726.

No additional charges apply!

HUAWEI313
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
Click here

I got this message from this number that claims it's fido.

12048688002:Fido has sent you a Transfer

http://appfidop.com/

You have accumulated a total of (65.10$)CAD

of Fido Dollars, Using our services

Hello @HUAWEI313,

That is definitely a spam text, Fido would never send you an e-transfer.

We currently have a thread here for reporting spam messages and how you can report it to Fido.

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @DongHoLee

That message is not from us, please don't enter any of your info!

We're aware of these texts going out and we're doing our best to stop them. You can forward the text to the number 7726 (SPAM) to have it audited by our team.

For more info, click here

DongHoLee

AC66CC01-6F03-475E-849E-63E15EED5855.png