Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

pradeeptirmal
I'm a participant level 1

I received a message from 780-278-3415 that says fido transfer has sent $59 fidoDollars.

The URL is http://rifiodop.com.

Please do not share your bank details. This is a scam. 

If this message helps anyone, You're welcome

Thanks for sharing the info @pradeeptirmal

Welcome to the Community!

We'll flag it on our side Smiley

DavidHicks

FYI,

I, like many, received a spam text posing as someone (“Ava”) from the Ontario PC party asking a polling question. 

The ph.no. was ‭+1 (343) 887-9931‬

Hey @DavidHicks

Welcome to the Community!

I have moved your message to this thread as it deals with the same topic. 

You,ll find ways to report  SPAM right here.

therarego
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

2C043ECF-4C2E-4CE2-A731-722262A917CC.png

Hey everyone, it looks like someone is sending fake text messages to people saying they have redeemed money for you. This looks pretty fake to me but I’m posting it here to get a reply that it is truly fake. Thanks 

Hello @therarego,

That is definitely a spam text, we currently have a thread in the community for reporting these types of spam and what you can do to report it.

You can find the thread here.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

From what I understand, the WhoCalled service had been discontinued as of June 8th (see here). I received this SMS today so either it's a glitch or I'm guessing SPAM.

Screenshot_2018-09-05-12-25-21.png

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

MartyA

Got this today:

Important Notice for the number (778)-321-xxxx
http://fidoe-payee.com/
FidoCommunication has sent you FidoDollars (72.56$)

Hey @MartyA

Thanks for flagging this. We are definitely keeping an eye on those spams Smiley

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi All,

just received phishing sms.

sender # +1(902) 872 1304

url: XAZTARE.CO.UK

Thanks,

Silent Smiley

Hey @silentbuddha

Thank you for reporting this to us.

I have moved your post in this thread as it deals with the same topic.

You'll find all the information you need right here Smiley

BruSkald1

Your solution does not work if Messenger is your default messaging app. When I press on "forward", it send me on an endless FB loop with no option to send to a 4-digit #! "Send to new group" does not work either.

BruSkald

Hey @BruSkald1

This particular option to forward these messages works by SMS. It will work through the text messaging App that came with the phone. 

NikoNorth

I can’t seem to send this to 7726...734477D4-E0EE-4243-B9AD-F72DA31C7981.png

Sorry for the confusion there @NikoNorth I thought this was the message you received when trying to report a spam. 

@Cawtau is right, this message is indeed coming from us and in regards to a service we offer. As you can see, our text messages might ask you to answer prompts but we do not ask you to fill out or send personal info. 

Hope that helps Smiley

acadiensti
I'm a participant level 3

It’s from a cellphone. Charlottetown is in PEI and it was sent at 1:36 in the morning...5FD3FD14-3C30-4D7B-9093-C5F73CB8440C.jpeg

Hey @acadiensti

I moved your message here as it was the right fit. 

Thank you for taking the time and flagging this to us. Can you transfer us the text message to 7726 (SPAM)? 

This will help us work towards stopping these kinds of messages! Smiley 

acadiensti

I tried sending it to the 7726 number. But it saying not deliver. Even try with the # in front nope. Probably my very advanced technological experience the problem.. very sarcastic by the way 😂😅

acadiensti

Think 🤔 I got it 

Hey @acadiensti

Thanks for flagging the message.  It really helps! Smiley

@NikoNorth wrote:

I can’t seem to send this to 7726...734477D4-E0EE-4243-B9AD-F72DA31C7981.png

Hello NikoNorth,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe that message is SPAM. It appears to be a legitimate service that Fido offers: Email-to-text or Courriel à texto. When someone sends an email to your phone number (phonenumber@fido.ca), the service can forward the email to your phone as a SMS. Those SMS (as well as the one shown) are sent from one of Fido's short codes with the 305XXXXX format. However, some phones might mistakenly display the first few digits as country or area codes.

The message asks to respond Oui or Yes because you would have to opt-in for the service.

That said, if you do decide to opt-in for the service, the emails sent to your phone number may be SPAM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers