Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Rosechild
I'm a participant level 2

I got a text at 4:42 am today from 18197250199  stating I  have been overcharged by Fido. Is this authentic? Here is the text:

Fido Solutions lnc: Fido has sent you an transfer.
Your account has been overcharged. http://intermonllne.xyz

I tried calling the number back but a recording says it's "unavailable". The I'd says the number is from Quebec.

Hey @Rosechild

I moved your post here as it's related.  Smiley 

Rosechild

Thanks!

conspicuous02
I'm a participant level 1

ED0F47A5-0052-4B53-A0B4-61B3BF6C0FE8.jpeg

I just received this text.  What should I do??

Hello Conspicuous02,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Appreciated the step-by-step info regarding reporting spam.

Also wish I could apologize to Fido for sending it twice since I wasn't sure about the process the first time. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for reporting it @wickie! No worries about sending it twice Smiley 

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Thanks for the reasurance, FidoNick ... and it was the instructions of FidoStephan that made it all that much clearer. 

- wickie

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Always a pleasure @wickie! That's what we're here for Smiley 

alexisdlopez

Hello,

is the 7726 still a valid number where I can forward any spam text messages I am receiving?

Thanks!

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi friend @alexisdlopez

Yes 7726 is still on absolutely text  paste the spam to them also. 

We post spam here too thanks to @Cawtau  the community members following this thread can then be aware as well.

Thanks & Happy weekend to you!

xjia
I'm a participant level 3

Dear Fido officer,

I just received an meaage to inform me fido overcharged me $113.57, so they refund money to me, and they ask me to log in my bank account. I will show u the picture, and I want to know this message is really from Fido or is false message. Please reply me as soon as possible, thank you.

67F0FA25-3228-4000-8E53-3B45EE3453C5.png

BBF35B11-3659-4861-BA3F-0E57DC97456F.png

Hello Xjia,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

xjia

Dear officer,

It is a test message, not an email. Does is false message?

Hello again,

I understand it is not an email. That is why it was suggested to send the SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). Fido does not provide refunds in this manner. If a refund is necessary, they will simply credit your account. If you have closed your account, they will send the money via a cheque to the address they have on file. No legitimate institution -- bank, credit card, mobile provider, etc -- will ask you to provide information in such a manner.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

xjia

I am already log into my bank account, but before they steal my money, I am already contact to the bank and change my password and other informations. But do you know the spam will create a virus in my phone? Should I factory reset my phone? Does it is necessary?

Hello again,

I'm sorry you have been deceived by those texts. It's good that you contacted your bank and changed your passwords etc.

You might also consider forwarding the text message to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. Fowarding the information to Fido will help prevent others from receiving the same texts. Since you provided personal information, the Anti-Fraud centre may be able to provide the link to authorities to possibly track the scammers.

You should also consider the advice here. It may seem like a hassle, but any preventative measures taken now are definitely better than trying to sort out stolen identities after the fact.

I don't think anyone can say for sure whether that particular SPAM SMS contained a virus or other malware. Some nefarious SMS can indeed contain viruses or trojans, etc. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware apps installed on your device? If you feel more comfortable, you might consider performing a factory reset.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Yes @Cawtau ...  I too, went thought a scary "identity thieft" experience last year when my canadian SIN number was accessed and used to take money from my bank account, in a province I had not lived in in 10 years. Fortunately, the bank contacted me within a day ..and, certainly all my money (after it was taken from 5 different locations in Canada) was returned to my account. But, this was a huge learning curve for me!

@wickie wrote:

... I too, went thought a scary "identity thieft" experience last year when my canadian SIN number was accessed and used to take money from my bank account, in a province I had not lived in in 10 years. Fortunately, the bank contacted me within a day ..and, certainly all my money (after it was taken from 5 different locations in Canada) was returned to my account. But, this was a huge learning curve for me!

Hello Wickie,

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end!

We just need to remain diligent at all times... Spammers and scammers aren't likely to give up any time soon.

Cheers

Albertlixw

Here's how it goes: 

Notice from Fido Solutions inc. for the number: (250)-xxx-xxxx You have received a Transfer https://is.gd/gcYbuw your Account has been Overcharged

I accidentally clicked on this link, but I immediately realized it's very likely to be a spam and closed the page. 

BarberryKay

Thanks for sharing. I received this message too ... now deleted.