Thread for reporting SMS spam

MVP
MVP

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Thread for reporting SMS spam

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 413
I'm a Participant Level 1 Piotr1
I'm a Participant Level 1

do you, as a fido, send me a messenger message that you counted me too much by $ 93.54?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 196 of 413
MVP
MVP

Hello Piotr1,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 197 of 413

Hey @Piotr1!

Just a heads up that I moved your post to this thread!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 198 of 413
I'm a Participant Level 1 Sk71

Fido Solutions sent you an important message. Please follow the link to see your account: www.login-fido.com

I got this tonight

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 199 of 413
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Reported text spam 7726

Example of spam sender 1613-870-0627 received  Dec 6 2017 6:12pm ET

Dear Fido User, we are happy to inform you that you've been refunded due to an overcharged amount in your bill. Collect your funds here <url removed>

Cheers all! thanks @Cawtau

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 200 of 413
I'm a Participant Level 2 raminsh
I'm a Participant Level 2

I've reported the following spam:

+14027492398

R0YALBANK locked your account for security maintenance. Please reactivate your services below. http://rbc.com.canadabankverify.com/?activate

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 201 of 413
I'm a Participant Level 1 SM73

I got a msg,  they required everything, thanks I saw it's a number and I thought it's a scam! Someone had this problem too? 8BB2373F-A396-4551-873A-EBE1320D63B0.png

6DA9128F-A048-4633-B952-B19C9BDA46A4.png

084B0631-A79E-42AB-87AD-F499FF5566D1.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 202 of 413
MVP
MVP

Hello SM73,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 203 of 413

Hey SM73!

I moved your post to this thread since it is about the same subject. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 204 of 413
I'm a Participant Level 1 Marwong

Called a missed call under this spam when phone was picked up it played music...be aware everyone! I immediate  up after 18 seconds, will there be a charge on my bill for this call?

IMG_3998.PNG

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 205 of 413
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi @Marwong thanks for sharing your

International call spam.

You may want to block incoming call from that number for future so it wouldnt go to your voicemail either.

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 206 of 413
I'm a Contributor Level 1 ranger9c
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi, I received this last night, Funny it says Bell customer, never have been. Clicking the link, takes you to what looks like a real interac transfer site, but it then says it is for a Telus refund. (i once was on telus but it was  over 10 years ago) Searching the originating phone number it is a Toronto number.Scam.PNG

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 207 of 413
MVP
MVP

Hello Ranger9c,

Thanks for the information! Have you had a chance to also forward it to 7726 (SPAM) (see solution above)?

Just out of curiosity, did you port your phone number from Telus? I think the spammers try to customise the SMS depending to which block of prefixes a particular phone number belongs. Certain prefix blocks are Fido; others Rogers, Bell, etc. However, with the popularity of porting numbers, those provider distinctions are not as clear. Targeting prefixes with customised SMS doesn't always work. But I guess for the spammers, it's all about the numbers. Only a fraction of their spammed SMS won't match up.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 208 of 413
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Scooby-Doo wrote:...

You may want to block incoming call from that number for future so it wouldnt go to your voicemail either...

Hello Scooby-Doo,

Unfortunately, blocking a phone number from your phone will not prevent the call from going to voicemail. A blocked phone number will simply not ring on the phone and the call will just go directly to voicemail.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 209 of 413
I'm a Contributor Level 1 ranger9c
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi Cawtau,

I did forward it to 7726. I did in fact port the number from Telus over 10 years ago. Thanks for your reply. Cheers,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 210 of 413