Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new sim card for another phone

BusyGrizzly
I'm a participant level 2

hello there,

i am a long time fido customer. i have an old Huawei Y300 phone that used Bell mobile prepaid network. i'd like to switch this phone to Fido if possible. what do i do?
or should i simply buy a new sim card for this phone?
due to this covid thing if it is possible to buy a sim card online or somehow through my fido account?
thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BusyGrizzly,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, I assume that phone as purchased from Bell. Since that device was available in 2013 and has been discontinued, it's likely that it is locked to the Bell network. You would need to get the device unlocked in order to use it on other networks. As far as I am aware, they would be required to unlock the device if you still have services with them (see here).

Once the device is unlocked, you would need both a SIM as well as a pre-paid or post-paid plan for services. You can place your order for the SIM and plan online. If you already have an account, you would need to add a line to your account. If you don't wish to have the line associated with your account, you would need to place the order as a new customer.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

BusyGrizzly

so this old Huawei phone (asssuming it is unlocked) can be used with fido?

Hello again,

If you purchased that device from Bell, it should be the Y300-0151 version of that device (see here). Bell uses the same frequencies for their '3G' network (850MHz and 1900MHz). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. You should note that Rogers intend on decommissioning the 2G GSM network by the end of this year (see here). So, that phone should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for the '3G' network after this year.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers