Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Mi 8 and LTE

Laserblue
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello,

Hoping for a little help.  I just purchased a Xiaomi Mi 8 global version (actual version not just the global ROM). I am only getting H+ and 3G on the phone. It is compatible with LTE and all bands on Fido network, so I can't figure out the issue. I am not able to update the APN settings (it is greyed out). Has anybody run into this issue? Any help would be appreciated. 

15 REPLIES 15

tase25
I'm a participant level 1

Amazing. Thanks so much for sharing the apk option. I couldn't figure out how to change the APN settings and it was so frustrating. But now getting LTE speeds and it works! 

Miikk

Your link helped me so much! I got exactly the same problem and now it solved.

jpcaron

I have the Mi 8 Pro just created a new thread.

You will have 4G LTE but wont be able to call on 4G it will switch to 3G and you wont be able to use Wifi Calling VoLTE, you phone wont get IMS registred.

To check if you are IMS registered or you have all the provisionning.

Call *#*#4636#*#*

Phone information

hit more. you will see.. Everything unavallaible

Laserblue

Thanks.  I have done video calls over WiFi (using Whatsapp) to international countries without any lag or issues. 

I've never noticed any issues with standard voice calls, and never noticed it drops to 3G. I tried a standard voice call on the Fido network and it did drop to 3G; interesting.  I tried a voice call using Whatsapp via WiFi and it remained at 4G.  Honestly though, if I can't notice a difference in the quality of the call, it doesn't concern me much.

I think I have accessed that menu before. I will take a look but it sounds like I must already have the provisioning if I can make the video and voice calls using Whatsapp. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Hello Laserblue,

Wifi-calling using an app (ie WhatsApp or Skype, etc) is different from the Wifi-calling to which @jpcaron referred. Any phone with Wifi-capabilities can use an app to make calls and video calls. Those calls are generally connected entirely via the internet. On the other hand, the Wifi-calling feature routes through the mobile networks before connecting to the other party (see graphic here).

Since your phone was not purchased from Fido, it is unlikely that type of Wifi-calling (or voLTE) will work. As you noticed, the calls through the mobile network switch to 3G. Calls via Wifi through Whatsapp are not connected through the mobile network which is why your phone appeared to remain on 4G.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jpcaron

@Cawtau wrote:

Since your phone was not purchased from Fido, it is unlikely that type of Wifi-calling (or voLTE) will work. As you noticed, the calls through the mobile network switch to 3G. Calls via Wifi through Whatsapp are not connected through the mobile network which is why your phone appeared to remain on 4G.

Wifi calling on a app is ridiculous its 2019, fido stop pissing me off

Hello Jpcaron,

Welcome to the community!

I apologise for upsetting you. However, I was explaining the difference to @Laserblue. Some people are actually happy with using apps to make Wifi calls.

Cheers

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

if your xiaomi is the mainland China rom, you may not able to install Google maps, twitter, and facebook, unless you flash the rom to international version.

newaa
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I had a xiaomi Mix 2 (global version), I had no issue created new apn ( I added it before upating to miui 10); now I have a new Mix 3 (global version) came with miui 10, it doesn't have "ADD" option on apn setting so I couldn't able to add LTE apn, until I installed that APK and added LTE apn setting , now I'm getting fast LTE connection.  

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Laserblue,

Are you unable to edit your current APN settings or to create and save a new one?

Have you had the chance to reset your network settings as well? If not, can you do so and confirm if you get the following APN settings on your device.

Let us know!

Laserblue

I reset the network settings a few minutes ago, for the first time and unfortunately it didn't change the APN.. it's the same as above.   I reset again and rebooted my phone but no change with that either. 

@Laserblue you can create a new APN with the settings from the link @FidoSaad provided above.

One other thing you can try that works most of the time for me is open the APN settings on the phone tap on the burger menu the 3 dots at the top and then hit save then go back in and see if you are able to edit it now. 

If not you just have to create a new APN and it should work.

Laserblue

Hi Kapable,

Thanks but with the Mi 8 (Global version, locked bootloader), I cannot.  And I am unwilling to unlock the bootloader because Xiaomi has restricted relocking the bootloader, and I would like to be able to use Google services and NFC and online banking (all restricted with an unlocked bootloader, hence why I was sure to get a global version phone rather than one with an updated global ROM).  I am running MIUI 10.  On my handset in the APN settings there are no 3 dots, there is no option to create a new APN, and there is no option to edit the existing APN (everything is greyed out).  Found a link where someone with a different Mi device had the same issue I have, and also with Fido.  No option to change or add APN settings.  However using their wife's Rogers SIM the LTE APN settings were pushed through and LTE worked fine, but when he put his Fido sim back in, it did not update the APN to LTE and only had 3G and H+ which is my current issue. 

And so I wonder... is there a way for Fido to push through the correct APN setting to me from their end?

Laserblue

Found a link and a person who created an app to fix this issue, and I now have 4G! I removed my SIM, sideloaded the APK for the app, created a new APN, put my SIM back in, went ito the APN settings and chose my new APN and voila... 4G!

In case anyone is interested... http://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/

Problem appears to be solved!

Laserblue

Hi FidoSaad,

No, the option to edit the APN is greyed out and there is no option to create a new one...

Currently, my APN is set to: fido-core-appl1.apn

Just to confirm, (I may have done this already last night) how do I reset the network settings? Thx!