cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What "Trusted Certificates" are Fido installed on a new tablet?

FlawlessSpa
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have a new LG-V533 with a Fido SIM. Im wondering if you can please tell me what Trusted Certificates are carrier installed at point of purchase. They are found in the 'settings/security/certificate management/trusted certificates' section. I have already contacted LG and was informed that all certificates are carrier installed...

This is the response I recieved from the live chat technical support: 

"I reviewed all of our documents and we don't have any information about certifications for the Gpad, or any of our other models actually. None of those technical details are ever published to us. The only technical details we have are the same as are published on fido.ca.

You could try to Google it or post on the Fido forums. People discuss a lot of things there and someone may know the more technical details who can help you with that."

Is there anyone out there that can help me answer this question please? TIA

1 REPLY 1

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @FlawlessSpa!

Our sincere apologies for the delays on this. It took us some time to get you a response as we had to reach out to LG directly as well as our product team.

On the LG end, here's what they mentioned:

- All Android devices(LG electronics and other all OEM) contain Root CAs by AOSP(Android Open Source Project).

- AOSP refers to a Mozzilla CA certificate store when OS released.

- OEM cannot add/delete/modify those CAs because Google restricts those lists.

To simplify things, all Android phones and tablets (not just LG ones) contain certificate authorities (CAs) that the manufacturers of the devices (such as LG) cannot modify or delete. These ones are installed on your tablet and cannot be changed.

To go a little further, our product management team mentions that the preloaded trusted certificates on Android devices are part of the system root store. These are used to determine if a certificate issued by a particular Certificate Authority (CA) is trusted. They are only managed by Google. If and when there are any "user" specific trusted certificates needed they can be installed however LG does not install any in the tablet. 

I hope this sheds some light! Let us know if you have other questions Smiley