cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning to new phone/plan

Hummingbird1
I'm a participant level 2

Hi this is probably a crazy question but If I am ordering a new phone that will have a new plan will my old phone  and old service plan work until I receive/activate the  new phone?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hummingbird1,

Welcome to the community!

No questions are crazy! It sounds like you're upgrading your phone and plan rather than adding a new line, is that correct?

If you are upgrading your phone with the new plan, the new plan will take effect right away, as mentioned above, and replace your old plan. If your plan change occurs mid-cycle, your bill will be prorated (see here).

You should be able to use the new plan with your old phone. Once you receive your new phone, you can replace the SIM from your old phone to your new phone. If your new phone uses a different-sized SIM, you will have to update your SIM card to the one included with your new phone. You can update your SIM via My Account --> Usage & Services --> Mobile --> Quick Actions (near bottom of page) --> Update SIM card

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hummingbird1

Hi. I am looking at getting a new phone. The promo monthly price quoted is 31$/month after bill credit. What exactly does this mean?

TYIA

Hello again,

When financing a new phone, you are charged for the full amount of the new phone. However, at the same time, your account is also credited back the financed amount as well as any discounts and/or promotions. After all of the calculations, that quoted price is the amount you will be required to pay monthly (in addition to service costs) for that device. You can find more information here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Hummingbird1,

Welcome to the Fido community!

The new plan will take effect right away regardless if you use the new phone or not.