cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing data plan between iPhone & iPad??

asjen
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I currently have the 6GB data plan on my iPhone 3GS, and am looking to buying the new iPad 2 soon.  Just wondering if I'll be able to share my exisitng 6GB data plan between both my iPhone 3GS and the iPad 2 (3G) devices??!!  This will determine if I buy the 3G or wifi verion of the iPad 2.

Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

13 REPLIES 13

allie4sure
I'm a participant level 1

Fido,

Maybe this something to consider is adding plans that allow to share data  with there electronics or even between family plans. I have been with Fido for over 6 years with 4 mobile data plans with you and have been waiting for family shared plans as its easier and cheaper. It makes it difficult have to pay extra for every plan to get more data and that causes the bill to go higher and higher. And with Data plans already costing an arm and leg maybe this company should really consider it. As i know people that want to join fido but dont like that they have shared plans as they have shared plans with there current provider.

Something to think about it.

Alex

TomMcIn

I have an iPhone 4 with a 6GB data plan.  I plan to get an iPad 3 and would like to include a wireless phone connection so I can access the Internet without being on wiFi.  I have used the tethering to my iPhone but it would save on my iPhone battery if I could connect directly from the iPad.  Since all the charges are going against the 6GB, it would earn Fido some browny points if they let the two devices share the 6GB with a small charge for an extra phone number for the iPad3.

squawk7600
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

you cant with the 3GS..with iphone 4 if u upgrade to 4.3 and have a data plan >1GB u can use the Personal Hotspot feature

takobo

When fido will release ipad plan or data sharing plan? Fido offers 6gb plan, but we can't use it like others Robellus. Even Bell's VirginMobile does offer.  Hope a CSR can transfer this message to the decision maker.

jmitchin

I have joined this forum because of my success working  with Fido today.

They increased my Data plan to 6 gigs at a very reasonable rate.

I purchased my wifi & 3g iPad 2 on Friday and wanted to connect with my iPhone 3 rather

than get a separate data plan for my ipad.

We were unsuccessful because all  I could get was Bluetooth and usb, no wifi.

As it turns out with OS 4.3 you get Hotspot and do not need wifi.

I was able to use bluetooth and it worked great.

With 4.3 tethering does not show up but is replaced with Hotspot, at least with my phone.

I can now give Fido five stars for great service.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Tethering was renamed Personal Hotspot and now includes sharing over wifi. With Personal Hotpot, you can use USB, BlueTooth or wifi to share your iPhones data connection. This is the same for all iPhone 4's running 4.3.

Jatz

is there extra charge for sharing data betwwen iphone and ipad? (tethering)

i am looking into buying ipad 2 .. not sure if i should get ipad 2 3g or just wifi..

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hello Jatz,

There is no extra charge to share data between your iPhone and your iPad via the personal hotspot, but you will require a 1 GB or more data option to do so.

Please however note that it is currently not possible to share your data option over 3G between two devices with two different SIM cards as it is not a service currently offered by Fido.

I hope that this answers your request.

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I don;t get the requirement for  1Gb  plan to be able to use the hotspot.

besides the plan are no longer available (on the website anyways).

Hey everyone!

I know this is a pretty old thread but I thought I would provide some updated information in case anyone came across this in the future. :smileyhappy:

There is no longer any minimum data plan required.

For all plans released on or after August 3rd, 2011, which bill data overusage per increment of a specific amount of data that you go over your allotted usage (For example, $5/100 MB or $10/GB, the overusage rate is dependent on which plan you are subscribed to), tethering is enabled automatically. 

Hope this helps! 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

It depends on how you want to share it. If you want to be able to access data on your iPad when you don't have you iPhone with you, then you are asking if your 3G iPad, with its own SIM, can access your iPhones data plan. The answer would be no, Fido does not have data sharing plans were data can be shared between two SIMs.

But, if you always have your phone with you, the iOS 4.3 will have Personal Hotspot, which turns your iPhone into a mobile wifi router. Using this will allow your iPad to access data through your iPhone using wifi.  

Femi
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

If I purchased the IPAD 2 3g edition, will it work if I were to put my Fido SIM card ?

I currently also have a 6GB data plan.

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello Femi,

In order to operate on Fido's network, a device must be:

- Running on the GSM (Global Systems for Mobile Communications) technology
- Compatible with the 1900 MHz and 850 MHz frequencies
- SIM unlocked

Please note that if your device has not been provided to you by Fido, we cannot guarantee that data and text message services will function properly, even if the voice service functions well, nor can we offer support.