Samsung a70

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Samsung a70

Why has the A70 not been updated to android 10 yet and why have we not had a security update since December? The lower end a50 has gotten the update already, so I find it hard to believe that the more expensive a70 hasn't.

Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung a70

Hello Mike8606,

Welcome to the community!

According the OS Upgrade Schedule, the Android 10 update for that device is on hold. It could be due to the discovery of a serious issue that bricks the device and doesn’t allow it to reboot (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 26
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello Mike8606,

Welcome to the community!

According the OS Upgrade Schedule, the Android 10 update for that device is on hold. It could be due to the discovery of a serious issue that bricks the device and doesn’t allow it to reboot (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 26
Highlighted

Funny since all the other major carriers in Canada have already released the update, other than Rigers that is

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 26
Highlighted

So now the a10 and a20 have update dates set, but still nothing for the a70, what the heck???

Do we get penalized for buying a more expensive phone? 

I am not a happy customer!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 26
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi @Mike8606,

The update has been put on hold I think it has something to do with reports of it bricking some phones according to the article here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 26
Highlighted

That issue was fixed weeks ago, all the other major carriers in canada have already received the update. Also that doesn't explain why the a70 is still on the December 2019 security update. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 26
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi @Mike8606,

From what I can see the last update prior to Android 10 was the December update.
Maybe Fido did not approve the update because they are not done testing it or they are just behind given the current situation.

If you would like you can always flash the firmware manually as the phone is the same for all the providers, you can get it here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 26
Highlighted

Amazing, now June 22nd and still no word on when the update is coming.

Doesn't anyone who actually works for Rogers/Fido ever read these posts?

Horrible customer service!

They charge us for the phone, promise security updates every three months, at least 2 OS upgrades, and deliver nothing!!!

Last security update was December 2019, every other carrier has updated the phone at the end of May.

Really giving great value for the money, thanks Fido!!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 26
Highlighted

So now the low end a20 has got the update, but nothing for the a70. If Rogers/Fido is not planning on supporting this model, they should recall them and offer all the people who paid good money for them a comparable replacement. 

I bought this phone with the understanding that we would be getting at a minimum, quarterly security updates for at least 3 years and 2 major OS updates.

Last security update was December 2019, 7 months ago, and still no update to Android 10.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 26
Highlighted

Hey @Mike8606

We understand the importance of having those updates pushed to your phone, that said it's also important to ensure that when it does everything runs smoothly.

The update is currently still on hold, but it's expected in the next couple of weeks. We'll be sure to update our OS upgrade schedule accordingly as well Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 26