cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung a70

Mike8606
I'm a contributor level 1

Why has the A70 not been updated to android 10 yet and why have we not had a security update since December? The lower end a50 has gotten the update already, so I find it hard to believe that the more expensive a70 hasn't.

25 REPLIES 25

ET40411
I'm a participant level 2

Any idea if this issue is going to be resolved by July 15? I am using my A70 for work and my company will cut off my access if I don't have at least the January security patch by then. Then I would be completely cut off as I have a security token needed for laptop remote access on my phone as well. I bought this phone to get at least quarterly security updates.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mike8606,

Welcome to the community!

According the OS Upgrade Schedule, the Android 10 update for that device is on hold. It could be due to the discovery of a serious issue that bricks the device and doesn’t allow it to reboot (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Mike8606

Funny since all the other major carriers in Canada have already released the update, other than Rigers that is

Mike8606

So now the a10 and a20 have update dates set, but still nothing for the a70, what the heck???

Do we get penalized for buying a more expensive phone? 

I am not a happy customer!

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Mike8606,

The update has been put on hold I think it has something to do with reports of it bricking some phones according to the article here.

Mike8606

That issue was fixed weeks ago, all the other major carriers in canada have already received the update. Also that doesn't explain why the a70 is still on the December 2019 security update. 

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Mike8606,

From what I can see the last update prior to Android 10 was the December update.
Maybe Fido did not approve the update because they are not done testing it or they are just behind given the current situation.

If you would like you can always flash the firmware manually as the phone is the same for all the providers, you can get it here.

Mike8606

Which download should I use? Is there a specific way to do it?

Hey @Mike8606

You can go to Settings > System > Advanced > System updates. When the update arrives, tap the message and initiate the download!

Mike8606

Was referring to the post that showed how to get the update not from fido, who cant seem to get their act together and release it.

A poster had listed where I could download the Canadian update, was just asking which one to download and if there was a how to to install it.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Mike8606,

We use the XAC firmware on our Samsung phones that is the firmware that comes with the phones if you buy directly from Samsung. The same site tells you how to flash it but if you have no idea about this I would not recommend you do it.

Mike8606

Amazing, now June 22nd and still no word on when the update is coming.

Doesn't anyone who actually works for Rogers/Fido ever read these posts?

Horrible customer service!

They charge us for the phone, promise security updates every three months, at least 2 OS upgrades, and deliver nothing!!!

Last security update was December 2019, every other carrier has updated the phone at the end of May.

Really giving great value for the money, thanks Fido!!

Hey @Mike8606

We understand the importance of having those updates pushed to your phone, that said it's also important to ensure that when it does everything runs smoothly.

The update is currently still on hold, but it's expected in the next couple of weeks. We'll be sure to update our OS upgrade schedule accordingly as well Smiley

ET40411

Hi Saad,

Any update on this? I need at least the January security update before July 15, so I don't lose access to my work apps. Is there any way to get the security updates manually?

Mike8606

So now July 6th and still no update! Can anyone answer why, without the usual party line of "you'll get it when it's ready". That is NOT an acceptable answer.

It's funny, Fido expects me to pay my bills in a timely manner, but can't or won't release critical updates to the phones they provide for their clients in the same fashion!

Hey @ET40411 and @Mike8606,

The OS upgrade schedule has been updated today, Android 10 started rolling out today in batches. 

Hope this helps! 

Mike8606

Again I ask, why can EVERY OTHER CARRIER in Canada release the update in May, but not Fido or Roger's? Don't you think that before you work on and release updates for cheaper phones you should service the clients who spend more on their phones? Why should the A10 through A50 have received the update before the more expensive A70? Do Fido and Roger's not think it important enough to prioritize the updates for the higher models of phones by the same manufacturer?

All information regarding the updates is the link that Saad posted on his post. 

We understand how important this is to you and all our customers so we are working hard in order to have the update out in the next few days. Thank you for your patience!

Mike8606

That's great, but you haven't answered my question as to why a70 purchasers on Fido are being treated like an afterthought, while people who have purchased less expensive phones are getting their updates in a timely manner. Samsung states that the update was made available for the a70 to all the canadian carriers at the same time, so why is it that every other carrier has been able to release this update but Rogers/Fido can't? 

The update is currently on hold @Mike8606,

This also means that the OS version for Fido is not yet released or ready to be released at the moment. We assure you though that as soon as it's available we'll update our page to share the news.

Hope this clarifies and thank you for your understanding