SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 3

SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

Okay how about a compromise to why fido is not supporting apple watch...don't tell us when or if you will support apple watch, just explain in simple language what the problem is. Example It's the network or it's marketing, rogers wont let you or you are not allowed by law or stone cold said no what ever anything anything at all, at least try. Anything but what you already said a least 100 times. Thanks and good luck.

Just curious gorge 

Accepted Solution

Re: SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

Solved by Moderator

Hey Rubberduck. Smiley

I understand why you're asking, the Apple Watch is a great product! 

We simply made the decision to not support the Apple Watch, for now. We are constantly reviewing our device line-up, but we don't have any updates on whether we will carry them in the future. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
27 REPLIES 27

Hey Rubberduck. Smiley

I understand why you're asking, the Apple Watch is a great product! 

We simply made the decision to not support the Apple Watch, for now. We are constantly reviewing our device line-up, but we don't have any updates on whether we will carry them in the future. 

Hope this helps! 

I'm a Participant Level 3

Yes I already know that answer. What I am looking for is why? Example " Fido decided not to support apple watch for know because we are a discount carrier and supporting apple watch would require a massive $$ financial investment and we would have to raise our prices for everybody because there would not be enough apple watch users to cover the cost and that would not be fair" end of example. Now I just made up that answer so you get an Idea of the kind of answer we are all looking for. 

Hey @Rubberduck

I see the type of answer that you are looking for here. However we can only give you the information we have on our end.

We are constantly reviewing our device line-up. At this time, we will not carry the Apple Watch.

I invite you to keep an eye on Fido.ca for upcoming products. Smiley

I'm Experienced Level 2

With the recent news that Fido is supporting E-Sim activation's I am curious how long it will be before they launch the Apple Watch plans. It only seems logical that if they are activating the e-sim that the apple watch plans follow suit. Hopefully Fido can come through on this thanks!   

Hey @jlits Smiley Moved your post here since this thread is also about the Apple Watch. We have no news on the Apple Watch on our end. I can assure you that this thread will be updated if there's any change concerning this. 

I'm Experienced Level 2

Its time for Fido to bring Apple Watch plans to market. You have e-sim technology so it doesn't make sense why you wont for Apple Watch!

I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hey guys. I made a very long, detailed post in this thread, and apparently the mods deleted it or didn't let it through.

The gist was: Fido offers data-only plans that work on any eSIM device that can receive the QR code. Unfortunately, Apple has blocked the apple watch app from even attempting to scan this code if your iPhone is on Fido at the time. I attempted this in store today.

Hopefully I can recover the longer post where I went through a more careful blow by blow, but feel free to ask me questions.

Hello Brandoc,

Welcome to the community!

Apple Watches are not like other smartwatches. While a data-only plan might suffice for another smartwatch with an eSIM, Apple Watches need to be paired to an iPhone in order to use the device (see here). In order to pair the Apple Watch to use cellular services with an iPhone, it would require its own smartwatch plan. Those plans are associated with the main iPhone's plan. On the other hand, a smartwatch with a data-only plan would be entirely separate from the phone's plan.

At this time Fido does not offer smartwatch plans (see here). That would likely be why your watch was unable to scan the code.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

> @Cawtau: "a smartwatch with a data-only plan would be entirely separate from the phone's plan."

Correct, and that is precisely what I wanted--a data-only plan for my watch which was entirely separate from the phone's plan.

---

> @Cawtau: "Apple Watches need to be paired to an iPhone in order to use the device"

My watch was paired, over bluetooth during setup, and it also functioned perfectly fine independently of my phone, when on wifi: iMessage and FaceTime worked fine, even when my iphone was completely powered off.

---

> @Cawtau: Fido does not offer smartwatch plans. That would likely be why your watch was unable to scan the code.

No that wasn't the reason. The reason I couldn't scan the code was because apple has programmed the apple Watch app on iphones to first check if the carrier is on the "approved list" of apple watch carriers. This is purely a software problem and I'm looking into how to tweak the apple Watch app (since my version of iOS is jailbroken) in order to disregard the "approved list" which apple has programmed into it.

Then, when my Watch app is free to scan any QR code from any carrier of my choosing, I will be able to download the fido eSIM profile for a data-only plan, and see whenever apple has put other roadblocks in place to try and control what their users do with devices which they have purchased.

It will be very telling to see what happens when the profile is finally downloaded.

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote:

> @Cawtau: "a smartwatch with a data-only plan would be entirely separate from the phone's plan."

Correct, and that is precisely what I wanted--a data-only plan for my watch which was entirely separate from the phone's plan....

That is not how the Apple Watch was designed to be used.

@brandoc wrote:..

> @Cawtau: "Apple Watches need to be paired to an iPhone in order to use the device"

My watch was paired, over bluetooth during setup, and it also functioned perfectly fine independently of my phone, when on wifi: iMessage and FaceTime worked fine, even when my iphone was completely powered off....

Pairing a device via bluetooth is not the same as having it paired via cellular services.

@brandoc wrote:..The reason I couldn't scan the code was because apple has programmed the apple Watch app on iphones to first check if the carrier is on the "approved list" of apple watch carriers...

The approved list are the carriers with smartwatch plans.

In addition, had you referred to jailbreaking your Apple Watch in your earlier post? If so, that could be why it was deleted (if it was in fact deleted). Fido Community's Terms of Use does not allow the discussion of hacking and/or “rooting” a wireless phone from any carrier (see Terms of Use). I understand the Apple Watch is not a wireless phone, but your Apple Watch is hacked. It's possible your last post might also get deleted.

Even if you somehow are able to do what you're trying, your watch might not behave the way you intend for it to work.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Pairing a device via bluetooth is not the same as having it paired via cellular services.

There's no such thing as "pairing via cellular." If you get a Rogers share everything plan for your iPhone and then bring your Apple watch, the eSIM that the watch receives is actually a different phone number, but the carrier disables calls to that number so you can't use it. Then, they turn on a type of call forwarding feature so that when your iPhone's number receives a call, your carrier will ring both your watch and phone simultaneously.

And that's all! The carrier doesn't do any other heavy lifting. Rogers/Bell/Telus do not send your text messages to your watch; apple does sms forwarding through iCloud and that's a really bad implementation because it means if your iPhone is powered down, your watch cannot send nor receive SMS text messages (the 'green' messages in Messages app).

This whole "number share" thing apple is forcing on us, with the support of the carriers who refuse to let their flanker brands get in on it, is seriously over hyped. And consumers are grossly misunderstanding the "benefits" they think they will get from having their carrier officially join the 'cellular watch club.'

Now that the apple watch has an appstore with dedicated watchapps that are not available for iOS, and the ability to buy them directly on the watch, plus new simplified features like Sign in with Apple, it's ridiculous that this cabal of carriers+big tech are continuing to limit the choices of customers in choosing what kind of cellular services we want on our devices. Because I promise you, I am not the only watch user who would jump at a chance of getting a data-only cellular plan on their watch!

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote:...There's no such thing as "pairing via cellular."..

It appears as though you're trying to accomplish something you don't even understand how it works. The cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. When you go to set-up your Apple Watch the process automatically searches for your iPhone's data plan. Normally, I would provide references, however, you're trying to circumvent the procedure so I'm not going to provide details of how Apple goes about pairing the cellular services.

I understand what you're trying to accomplish might be what some users want. However, even the people in your Reddit thread on the topic don't seem to think it's possible.

Cheers

• @Cawtau It appears as though you're trying to accomplish something you don't even understand how it works.

I understand how eSIM works entirely, thank you.

• @CawtauThe cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone.

As I've said multiple times, I have a cellular plan on my iPhone.

• @CawtauNormally, I would provide references...

I have no earthly idea what you mean by this??

Hello again

@brandoc wrote:..I understand how eSIM works entirely, thank you....

Apparently, in this case, you do not...

@brandoc wrote:
  • @CawtauThe cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone.

As I've said multiple times, I have a cellular plan on my iPhone....

Your Apple Watch's cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. **edit** It's set up as a smartwatch plan by your iPhone. That's why a standalone plan won't work. ** I know that's not what you want, but Apple designed the device to be a companion device to the iPhone.

Cheers

@Cawtau  Apple designed the device to be a companion device to the iPhone.

And if it had its own data plan, it would be a companion to my iPhone: I would get forwarded push notifications on my watch from my phone, the same as I do now! just without needing to find a wifi hotspot to connect my watch to..

Further, you are aware that it's lawful for people to buy things and then use them in slightly different ways than the inventor had imagined, right?  Because apple also designed the iphone around the idea of making and receiving calls and yet Fido sells plans with data and 0 minutes.

Are you gonna tell us that if we choose a data-only plan for our phones that we simply don't understand what a phone is for? are you going to tell us we are "doing it wrong" and belittle us for not understanding the apple gods of cupertino who "never intended it to work that way!"  ??

Hello again,

I never said anything about people having data-only plans. I never said anything about how people should or should not be using their devices. I mentioned that Apple designed the device to be a companion device for the iPhone because the smartwatch plan needs to be set-up on the iPhone. No judgment. Even with Rogers' Share Everything plan you mentioned above, one can't just get any plan for their Apple Watch. The watch needs its smartwatch plan, set-up on accompanying iPhone.

Apple doesn't allow for the Apple watch to have a standalone plan. If you think you can outsmart Apple and somehow bypass their set-up process, that's up to you. However, this is not the venue to discuss such matters.

Fido does not currently offer smartwatch plans. If they do decide to offer them at a later date, it will be posted on Fido.ca.

Cheers

wrote:

> Apple doesn't allow for the Apple watch to have a standalone plan.

We now have irrefutable proof that you were indeed wrong: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/freedom-mobile-launches-apple-watch-plan/

As you can see, 1 carrier in Canada is now offering a data-only watch plan without shareable data. Your iPhone plan is separate from your watch plan on Freedom!

I also know that there is a debate happening between the Rogers and Fido management over whether to allow these same kinds of plans on their network.

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote: ...Your iPhone plan is separate from your watch plan on Freedom!...

Thanks for the information. However, that is NOT a standalone plan. Yes, the 1GB of data is separate from the customers' regular plan, but it isn't fully independent from the iPhone as you initally intended. That plan is an Apple Watch plan.

...Apple Watch customers will be able to self-activate through their Watch app on iPhone... The Watch app will be able to pair and activate the Freedom Mobile promo Apple Watch 1GB plan... ~taken from article you posted.

As mentioned previously,

@Cawtau  wrote: ...The cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. When you go to set-up your Apple Watch the process automatically searches for your iPhone's data plan.

With the Freedom plan, the cellular plan still needs to be first set-up on your iPhone - cellular pairing. I suspect the set-up process will also still search for your iPhone's data plan. However, rather than sharing the data, the watch will only have access to the 1GB. You won't be able to just get that plan on its own.

**edit** It should also be noted that Freedom is now offering Apple Watch plans because they are also offering the Apple Watches.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

I guess the problem @Cawtau is that you have consistently iterated that the watch "can't" connect to a different network than the iPhone because of some unknown technical reason. You have strongly insinuated this.

If you would admit that there are no technical reasons a watch couldn't connect to a different network, and instead admit that the only reason we all can't pick and choose which network(s) our apple devices connect to is because apple doesn't like that idea and is arbitrarily blocking us from doing it for no reason-- then I guess we would finally be in agreement!

Previously everyone said "the watch and phone have to have a share everything plan" but apple just last week decided that isn't necessary, because they just granted Freedom mobile the ability to join their network.

Now here's another question (for everyone): what happens if you use your iPhone to successfully get your watch connected to Freedom mobile, and then remove the freedom mobile SIM card from your phone and then pop your fido SIM back into your phone? the answer to this is especially important on iPhone X and older since these phones do not have dual SIM.  What would happen?

Hello again,

You really need to do some better research...

My only claim was that the Apple Watch plan needed to be set-up by the iPhone and that was the reason why Fido's standalone data plan would not work. Freedom's Apple Watch plan still needs to be set-up on the iPhone.

Apple Watch.jpg

~taken from here.

The technical reason is that's the way Apple designed the device to be used. The Apple Watch's plan needs to be set-up on the iPhone. One can't even use an iPad to set-up an Apple Watch plan. Over the years, people have tried to circumvent a way around Apple's design. You are not the first one to think of it. That means that both the iPhone and Apple Watch need to be using the same carrier:

Apple Watch 2.jpg

~taken from here.

@brandoc wrote:..

Previously everyone said "the watch and phone have to have a share everything plan" but apple just last week decided that isn't necessary, because they just granted Freedom mobile the ability to join their network...

The issue wasn't about having to share data. Why would Apple care whether data was shared with a phone's main plan or if it had its own data? Sharing data is consumer marketing. Consumers don't like the idea of having to pay data overages on their Apple Watches if their main plan still had ample data, or even unlimited data. The issue is that Freedom's Apple Watch plan still needs to be set-up on the iPhone. That is, the Apple Watch plan is paired with the iPhone's phone plan. It is not a standalone plan. Whether they share data or not, the two plans are associated with each other.

In case it wasn't clear: the two plans are paired with each other. Cancelling the phone plan would likely also cancel the Apple Watch plan. You probably could set-up the Apple Watch with a Freedom SIM and later replace the SIM with a Fido SIM. However, you would still have to keep the Freedom phone plan in order to keep the Apple Watch plan. So technically, you probably could use the device on two different networks. However, you'd still be paying for a phone plan you're not using. If you're thinking of using a friend's Freedom SIM to activate the Apple Watch, the plan would be associated with their account. You could have done the same with any of the other providers offering plans for the Apple Watch. Like I said, you're not the first to think of it. Freedom hasn't revolutionised the Apple Watch plan; it's generally the same as other Apple Watch plans. The difference is that they limit the amount of data available on the Apple Watch.

Cheers