cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Android 8.0 Release for Samsung Galaxy S7

JesusisLord7
I'm a participant level 3

Hello, I am going all around and I'm told it will be my service provider that releases the Android 8.0 (Oreo) update! SO... I have a Galaxy S7, registered with Fido, so, would anyone be able to tell me when the Android 8.0 will come to my Galaxy S7? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello JesusisLord7,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify a little, the updates would have to be released by Samsung Canada to the mobile providers first. Once the mobile providers receive the update, they will perform their own tests before it gets pushed to devices (see here).

I was skeptical whether the S7 would get the Oreo update. Generally, Samsung only provides updates (software and security) for their two most recent device years. However, it appears as though the S7 might get android 8. That said, it might be a while before your phone gets the update as it is still in the development stage (see here). You should also note that Samsung Canada does not always follow up with all of the updates from Samsung.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

JesusisLord7

I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL THE S7 WILL GET OREO. I just checked Samsung, They say it will ve around spring.

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Probably "NEVER" is a fair answer. The phone is > 2 years old. I doubt Samsung will spend time to create the Android 8.0 OS.

Keep in mind that Fido cann't release something that it has not received.  In other words, if Samsung didn't create it, then Fido can't release it thus the end user will not get it.

JesusisLord7

Yes it will go to S7 i checked Samsung website 

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

You can check and make claims all you want. As far as I know there is no Android 8 for Samsung S7 in sight. There is also no anticipated delivery date as we speak.  I am happy to say that "NEVER" is probably a fair answer.

ravedave2
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ are the first Samsung Galaxy devices to support Android 8.0 Oreo. Android 8.0 Oreo will soon be available for other Samsung devices in Canada. Users will be able to upgrade their Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+ devices starting March 19, 2018 and Galaxy Note 8 devices starting March 28, 2018. Support for Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy A5 and Tab S3 will be available in Spring/Summer 2018. Support for Galaxy Xcover4, Galaxy A8, Galaxy J3 Prime, Tab A8, Tab Active 2 and Tab A 10.1 will be available later in 2018.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/newsalert/102421

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

As I said before: If it is not hereyet then it is not available. 

JesusisLord7

Not to be rude, but I'm not asking... I just saw on Samsung.ca that it will indeed recieve Oreo. Unless you're a Samsung worker, then I am right 😁

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Why would you be right? 

You are merely relaying information from the website (which could be wrong) and I base information from facts. The fact is that none of us (yourself included) know when the update will be released. If you do know, then you won't have to start another thread asking people to find out.  

As far as I know, the update does not exist unless it has been released to the general Canadian public. Until then, it is only a theory and the word "NEVER" or "No update" is still valid.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Community!

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop Smiley

Android Oreo has been announced for the S7 and it's coming in May! 

All the info can be found on our OS upgrade schedule Very_Happy

***UPDATE: The update is now scheduled for release in June 2018***

@FidoNickwrote:

Hey Community!

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop Smiley

Android Oreo has been announced for the S7 and it's coming in May! 

All the info can be found on our OS upgrade schedule Very_Happy

It went from "Coming Late May" to "Expected In June"

Thanks @TwitchyPuppy!

Sometimes we do have to delay updates to ensure things go smoothly for our customers! We've updated the solution above to reflect the new release date Smiley

FidoSaira

Hey @JesusisLord7

Welcome to the Community!

You can find all the details on the upcoming updates here.

Hope this helps!