cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Upgrade with Existing Plan?

aa898
I'm a participant level 2

How would I be able to upgrade my phone (16GB Iphone 5S) while still keep my existing plan (2GB $55/mo)? I've spoken to two Fido representatives (not helpful at all), and basically told me that I would have to  pay $80/mo for 1GB so I can upgrade. 

I've been a Fido customer since my earliest cell phone in the late 90s. I don't understand why there are no perks for loyal customers. 

*** Edited to add tags and labels ***

9 REPLIES 9

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @aa898,

Welcome to the Community!

First off, thanks so much for your long time loyalty,  we really appreciate it Smiley

You can definitely do an upgrade and keep your existing plan. Just keep in mind that we have different plan categories and they each offer a different subsidy on a new phone. 

If you have a Grandfathered plan at the moment, it depends in which category it falls. The category of your plan will determine the subsidy that you'll be eligible for.

Also, it's possible that certain devices are simply not available with a subsidy on a specific plan category. For example, the iPhone 7 is currently not available with a subsidy on a Plus10 plan (the cost is full price) and it's subsidized only with a Plus15 plan and higher.

Let us know if you have any questions about this! 

aa898

Thank you!

How do I know which cateogry my plan is under? 

Who can I speak to more about this? 

@aa898 

Standard Plans = Plus10

Smart Plans= Plus10

Max Plans = Plus15

Hey @aa898!

Customer service can help you go over your options! Here's how to contact us: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/contact-us

If you'd like, we can also send you a PM right here. Let me know!

aa898

A PM would be great. I had visited a Fido store and also called customer service at separate times, and neither was helpful. Thank you. 

Alrighty, PM coming your way Smiley

- FidoChristina

Zoealexandras
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm simply trying to purchase an iphone outright (as in not paying extra monthly). I already changed my plan today over the phone to one that is currently offered, and was told to purchase a phone online to save $40 on the set up fee etc.

Why won't the website just let me buy a phone. I dont need add ons, and I dont need to change my plan again. Is this just a scam to FORCE people into be stuck paying off their phones for 2 years? Please explain. I'm so infuriated that I'm literally looking at other carriers to switch to. This is ridiculous. 

A response would be deeply appreciated. UGH.

Hello Zoealexandras,

Welcome to the community!

You should note that there is a 30 day wait period between hardware upgrades and activations (see here). If you just activated your line, the system would require the 30 days before being able to process a hardware upgrade. I do understand that you wish to purchase the device outright, however, it would still be considered a hardware upgrade. I think the measure is to protect customers by preventing fraudulent account changes and purchases. That said, customer service may be able to process an exception in some cases. You would need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@aa898 you can upgrade and keep your existing plan but if your plan is a BYOP plan then it would not be eligible for a phone upgrade. If the plan is not a BYOP plan and is a grandfathered plan you can keep it and still get a phone upgrade but it will be considered a plus10 and will only be eligible for a subsidy for certain phones.