cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisting

caskie_9
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Can Fido blacklist a phone for non payment ? I bought a iPhone from someone I know. I went to put in a new SIM card for pay as you go and it will not work. I have tried other ppl SIM cards in the phone as well and nothing. It's an iPhone 11 so they are suppose to come unlock but even a Fido sim won't work in it. Is there something I can do to get a sim to work in it?  

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Caskie_9,

Welcome to the community!

No, Fido will not blacklist devices due to non-payment. Only a customer can request an IMEI to be blacklisted. If an account has defaulted, all costs are charged to the account (including the cost of phone). If the payments remain unpaid, the account would go into collections (see here).

You should note that the last user has 60 days after their last usage to blacklist the phone. The seller may blacklist it within the first 60 days to prevent any usage on the device, but after 60 days this cannot be done. Though once used on your account, you may blacklist the IMEI at any time as well. Therefore there is an uncertain period of 60 days if you choose to make a private purchase (taken from link above).

If the phone is indeed in working condition, you would need to contact the seller to ensure they did not blacklist the device. If the seller sold the device on behalf of someone else, you would need to contact that third party.

While Fido won't blacklist a device for non-payment, they may suspend your services. If you're having difficulties paying for your services, you might consider contacting the credit operations team to make a payment arrangement.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers