cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving all text messages!

Sarahb87
I'm a participant level 2

I had an iphone 6 and upgraded to an LG G5 recently with a new sim card. I have noticed from several different contacts that i am not receiving all of my text messages. I am super frustrated and I have tried turning off the VoLTE and it has not helped. Someone please help!!

230 REPLIES 230

jeasterb
I'm a participant level 1

I am glad I found this thread.  I guess I can add one more name to the list of text messages being received sporadically.  For me I think it was mostly from one person, but how can you be sure.  Also on LG G5.  What's up with that!!!

I will try the Textra as noted from another user earlier in the thread.  This is a royal PITA, resorting to emails to confirm texts are being received by me and that the recipiant sent back.  

Hey @jeasterb,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

Let us know how that goes. We're here if anything!

DCan

Joining the ranks of fellow Fido LG G5ers with incoming text message issues.

Network reset and phone reset have proved unsuccessful.
What do I do now?

BBear123

Request a new phone from Fido. This was a known issue, I was explained that Fido had this information in Febuary 2017.

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Same problem here too!! Already did a phone, network and APN reset. Works for a few texts and the stops receiving. Totally random. Phone is < 6mths old. Considering 99% of the time we use texts instead of voice, kind sucks phone won't receive. Not vet reliable. 

Any solutions?? 

Fido_99_
I'm a participant level 3

I'm also having the same issue. LG G5 not receiving all texts. Some come through and some don't. Incredibly frustrating, especially when it's impossible to know when someone has sent me a text that I haven't received.

Can someone from Fido please help?

Hi @JohnF1444 and @Fido_99_

Have these text issues only been happening today or have then been ongoing for a while? 

Some customers weren't able to send text messages today but that's been fixed. I just want to make sure this isn't related.

Have you tried rebooting the phone and running a few tests?

Going on for a while. Hard to tell since 'when'. I mean, how do u know if you don't get a text unless the texter actually calls to complain! In this case I realised my wife's phone was not receiving her texts - from ME. She has the LG G5. I have an iPhone 6. 

She is not receiving texts from others using all kinds of devices. 

I rebooted, reset the network and APN settings.  Lasts for a couple of texts. Then goes screwy. 

If phone is IN stock messaging app, she gets them. If app is closed or phone is in 'sleep' mode, messages don't come in. Totally random. 

Next step would be to reset phone to default factory settings and then send it for repairs. 

Considering the number of complaints here as well as the hundred others a simple Google search returns, this is a common, wide-spread problem with this phone. Not sure what you or Fido can do to help. 

Hi @JohnF1444!

We can definitely look into it. Have you already done the factory reset?

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hello Maria

No I haven't. It is a royal PITA to do a reset and have to restore every app, setting, contact etc.

Based on what I've read on this board and from what I've been able to find on the Web, doing a reset does not help at all - not for this issue.

Can you provide some reassurance and proof that the 'reset' fixes this problem?? Is it a known issue and the reset fixes it??

Once it resets, the phone simple downloads the same OS version already installed, si IMO were back at square one. From what I can gather it has yet to help anyone.

Hey @JohnF1444

Thanks for the reply Smiley

We can't confirm on our end that the factory reset will fix the issue. But this normally fixes this type of problem.

And it's definitely a step to do before sending it to repair.

Simply to have more info about your issue, are you able to send a text message to yourself?

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Yes, I am able to send a text to myself...tested and works fine.

Of course you can't confirm it! If reseting it actually solved this issue you would be able to reassure me. So a reset is hit or miss. Likely a miss.

FYI:...WHILE I am IN the Messaging APP - it is 'open' - I can receive texts just fine. Works all the time.

Once the APP is closed but am elsewhere on the phone - incomming texts seem to work fine too.

When phone is in 'sleep' mode - screen goes black and needs a tap to wake up - that it will not receive the texts. Waking it up, does not alert you that you've gotten a text. IMO, a software issue.

'Repair'?? what can possibly need repairing? As the others on this board have stated, it is basically a waste of time and even replacing this phone with a new one does not fix the problem. And then its a whole lot of frustrastion and endless calls and emails just to get the proverbial run-around. Phone is defective. Give me a new one...

But FIDO won't address it unless I first do a hard reset - your go-to solution. I don't 'do' Android so I'll first figure out how to properly back it up and be in a position to properly restore it without wasting my day on it.

Please stand by...

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Well as promised I'm back to update everybody.

As recommended by FidoTECH I did a full reset. First backed everything up, reset phone, everything got erased and restored as 'new'. 

Set phone up, connect to wifi etc Restored contacts, apps. Tested sending and receiving texts.

Problem fixed!!👏😃

Not...😠

Wasted the better part of my morning and FIX Lasted a WHOLE 15 minutes before it stopped receiving texts again! 

Guess it will have to go in for 'repairs' now! 😂

IMO: problem is with recent (Mar 17) OS update and 'sleep' / wake sensor. Phone worked perfectly fine for first 4 months we owned it. Problems started after update.

If I keep the 'always on display' enabled (time is displayed) the messages get thru and a notification message appears. Once I disabled the always on display, THAT'S when the phone no longer received the texts! Re-enabling it does not help and it now becomes hit or miss. To retest this theory, I'd have to reset once again...

Lastly, phone takes easily 20-30 seconds to receive / acknowledge an incoming text. It takes my I6 no more than a couple of seconds, max. Not saying Apple is a better product nor am I a fan-boy...find I find it odd that this LG G5 takes 30 seconds to realize a text has arrived. That's, WHEN it does. 

Any new suggestions? 

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Good news! I figured it out!😀

REPLACE the stock Messanger App! It's as simple as that!

I downloaded Textra from the Play store - there are others too. Installed and it asks to become the default Messanging app. Replied yes,set as default.

Sent and - more importantly - RECEIVED every text no matter what 'state' the phone was in. 

Worked flawlessly. And texts were now being received within seconds instead of 30!!

No resets required, no sending it in for repairs. Works. 

I was not able to disable the old app nor delete it. Will probably need to find some utility to do so. In the meantime, I hid it from the home screen so as not to accidentally launch it. 

YMMV but it is worth a shot. Seems to have fixed the issue for me. Pretty sure it's the new March update that caused the problem. 

Cheers!

Hello JohnF1444,

Glad to hear that you've found a fix for your issue! Just curious... from what you have described, were there any Do not Disturb settings enabled for the stock Messenger App?

JohnF1444 wrote:.... 

I was not able to disable the old app nor delete it. Will probably need to find some utility to do so. In the meantime, I hid it from the home screen so as not to accidentally launch it...

Unfortunately, since the stock Messenger App is a system app, you won't be able to delete it unless you root the device (unlock the operating system). Rooting the phone will likely void warranty.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

JohnF1444
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

No, there were NO Do not Disturb settings enabled anywhere.

I'm pretry sure the Stock app was causing the issue. Whenever I'd 'force stop' it or reboot the phone, messages would come in. After a few minutes it would go back to being random and wonky. I could not get it to miss a text once I replaced the app.

We'll see how it goes. I'll repost if it fails again.

Hi @JohnF1444!

I'm glad that you found a solution. Thanks a bunch for sharing it with everyone. Very_Happy

Skyegirl
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

How can you acknowledge a solution to this problem when you have been telling people it is an Android operating system issue that is awaiting  a fix? Not simply a change of application??

If this is a solution, why are you not contacting all the patient and loyal clients that are waiting for a fix and have ticket numbers - as they were told to do so by Fido?  I was told we would be contacted when there is a solution.

It is obvious that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing with Fido. I have received so many conflicting stories...no consistency. Now I see you think we have a solution and wasn't informed...I should not have to be patrolling these forums to find that out. We are paying customers and should be treated better.

Hey @Skyegirl!

There can be many different factors as to why certain texts may not be coming in. What is the case for one account, may not be the same for another.

You can always try to use a different text messaging application to see if that helps Smiley If a ticket has been opened regarding your account, you'll get an update as soon as there's news!

Rest assured that these things are a top priority and you'll be updated as soon as possible!

Fido_99_
This has been happening for months. After thinking about it, it happened with my Samsung Galaxy S4 before too.

That's strange!

I'm sending you a PM Smiley