cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 audio quality issue

aqm_android
I'm a contributor level 1

I recently got the G6 from Fido, and haven't really talked much on it. But whwnever I make/receive a call, the participant always tells me that he/she cannot hear my voice clearly, or it breaks up. I have used it in the same places/environments where I used my previous G3 without any complaints, so this is not a coverage/area issue definitely.

I would appreciate some more info on this. Anyone else experiencing it? Is it a software/baseband issue or a hardware fault? 

What are the possible solutions?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @aqm_android,

Really sorry to learn that you're currently experiencing this with your phone Sad

Can you let me know if this happens on every call that you place or receive? Also, how many signal bars does your phone usually connect to?

Have you tried restoring the phone to see if that helps?

Keep me posted.

aqm_android

Thanks @FidoClaudia

It happens on almost every call. Right now, I am standing beside a window on the 3rd floor that overlooks a field, that is, in an open area, and I can see only 2 or 2.5 signal bars.

I haven't tried restoring the phone, although I did clear the cache for all apps and did a soft reboot.

Hello Aqm_android,

It appears that call quality is a common issue with LG phones. In some cases, others have also noted that call quality was worse in the G6 than in the G3. One thing you might consider trying is to change the Noise Suppression and Call Clarity settings. You should be able to find those settings under: Call settings --> Advanced --> More.

There are conflicting reports as to which position (enabled or disabled) works best. Some people have claimed that enabling the settings solved their issues while others had to disable the settings. You'll just have to test it out for yourself.

@@aqm_android wrote:...Right now, I am standing beside a window on the 3rd floor that overlooks a field, that is, in an open area, and I can see only 2 or 2.5 signal bars..

Do you see those signal levels when you are on a call or when the phone is in standby? Are you trying to make those calls with voice-over-LTE (voLTE) or the traditional '3G' or 2G networks? If you're not using voLTE, the calls can only be transmitted via the UMTS ('3G') or GSM (2G) networks. Phones will likely connect to LTE while in standby, but then have to switch networks when making or receiving calls. You might notice a different in signal strength during calls. Depending on your location relative to the cellular towers, it can be normal for the LTE signal to be lower. It has to do with the differing characteristices of the various frequencies used. I have previously discussed the phenomenon in some earlier posts.

Do you know where the cellular towers are located near location? You can get an idea of your surrounding towers here. If the closest cellular tower is behind your building (ie opposite to the field you're overlooking), standing beside the window will not likely improve signal because the signals have to go through the building to get to your phone. Do you get the same issue outdoors? How about at different locations?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

aqm_android

Thanks @FidoPamela and @Cawtau

I am not sure what the factory reset will accomplish, since it will simply revert it back to the factory state.

Regarding the other settings that @Cawtau mentioned, I checked and 

VoLTE is ON (I don't know how/when a call connects thru VoLTE vs. regular bands, is it automatic?)

Noise suppression is ON

Voice clarity was OFF, I have turned it ON now.

@Cawtau thanks for the link to Cell sites. I was close to the Rogers site at N43.7525 W79.315 in North York/Toronto, located at Victoria Park and Cassandra Blvd.

Right now, I am downtown at Spadina/Queen, the closest site is N43.6489 W79.3967, and I see 4-5 full bars, but the audio problem occurred here as well (yesterday).

I will test it with some calls soon and let you know.

@aqm_android wrote:...

I will test it with some calls soon and let you know.

Hello again,

VoLTE should be automatic. You might also consider testing with voLTE disabled as well as disabling LTE altogether. You can disable LTE by selecting GMS/UMTS in your network mode.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

aqm_android

Thanks @Cawtau

If I disable LTE, will that not slow down my data connection? BtW, I tried 3 calls (2 out, 1 inc.) with Noise Suppression OFF, and they went well. I suspect that since I normally speak softly on my phone (I don't like to yell into the mic!), the algorithm was probably suppressing my voice too.

I'll do a few more tests again.

Hello again,

Yes, if you disable LTE, your phone will only be able to access the GSM (2G) and UMTS or WCDMA ('3G') networks. However, in theory, connecting to the UMTS network with HSPA+ (H+ or 4G) allows speeds similar to that of LTE. That's why it's technically considered 4G by the International Telecommunications Union (see here).

That said, I only suggested you disable LTE to determine whether your issue related to your phone connecting to the LTE network. I didn't mean for you to disable it indefinitely. I apologise for the confusion.

I'm glad that your calls have improved with the changed settings!

Hope it continues to work for you Smiley

Cheers

aqm_android

I have been using it for the past 2 weeks or so with Noise Suppression OFF, and its working well. No one has complained anymore about my voice.

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice.

Punnyabrata
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

@aqm_android thanks for the testing feedback. I just turned off the Noise Suppressin and left Voice Clarity on. Hopefully this should do it. I was so frustrated with call quality and had even considered doing a factory reset at one time but I was pretty certain that would not solve my issue. 

@Cawtau you deserve to be MVP!!

That's awesome! Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Don't hesitate to reach out to the community again if you have any other questions. Smiley  Also, feel free to accept Cawtau's post about noise suppression as a solution to help others who might have the same situation.  

Hey aqm_android!

If you disable LTE, you'll only get 3G speeds when using your data.

And, thanks for the update about the Noise Suppression setting! Don't forget to keep us up to date about how things go with your continued testing. 

Thanks for confirming @aqm_android

Can you try the factory reset? If the issue is caused by a glitch with the software, this should do the trick. 

Let us know how that goes!