LG G5 not connecting to data network unless I reboot

I'm a Participant Level 2 erinb90
I'm a Participant Level 2

LG G5 not connecting to data network unless I reboot

My G5 is about 3 months old. Last week it installed an LG software update. Since then, whenever my signal gets weak or lost (such as in the subway or a basement), it does not reconnect back to LTE once I have a strong signal again. Sometimes I will get a phone signal but not data, other times I will not even get a phone signal at all. Once I restart the phone, everything works fine again.

Toggling mobile data on and off does not work. Turning airplane mode on and off actually makes it worse (I lose signal entirely). Wifi connection is fine. 

I have tried resetting the network settings, no change. I then did a factory reset, no change.

This happens several times a day so it is very annoying having to always reboot my phone.

Does anyone have any advice, or will I need to replace my phone under warranty? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 68
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Re: LG G5 not connecting to data network unless I reboot

@erinb90 Try doing a network settings reset and see if it helps, go to settings backup and reset and you should see it in there. Once done you probably will have to add back the Fido APN settings you can get that here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 68
I'm a Participant Level 2 erinb90
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have already tried this and it did not help.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 68

Hey @erinb90!

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your phone. I'll send you a PM so we can check this out together! Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 68
I'm a Participant Level 3 sardanapal
I'm a Participant Level 3

Same story with my LG G5 on FIDO.

After update the phone at tmes looses network and people calling me go directly to voicemail.

Sending text messages loops on "sending"

Turning on/off airoplan mode does not help - only full restart fixes it.

I have the phone since June - it never hapened before the update.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 68
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi @sardanapal

Have you tried to do a full back-up of your phone & follow with a "Factory Reset"?

To find out how to backup your phone's data, I would invite you to check out LG's page "LG Android BackUp" here for more information there. You'll see step-by-step instructions here. 

To complete a "Factory Reset" here's how: 

1) Go to Settings

2) Click on General - Back Up & Reset

3) After, click on Factory Data Reset & Reset Phone

4) Chose "Erase Everything" if you're ready to clear all of your Data

5) Select Ok, to confirm the operation

Let me know if this helped 😃

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 68
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

To be perfectly honest, I can't guarantee anything. I'm just providing a suggestion to run this test, in hopes of figuring out a solution to the issues you've been having. 

Since it sounds like the issue might either be related to the phone itself, or the software, a "Factory Reset" is definitely a good attempt to try & fix any phone related "bugs" you've been having. 

Before deleting any content from your phone though, I'd strongly suggest to complete full backup of the phone in attempt to avoid loosing any important content! You can always refer to the link I sent above, for the step-by-steps 😃

If anyone has any other suggestions, we're all ears! Hope this helps.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 68
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Dezign
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

The same thing has been happening to S7 Edge customers on Fido since March.

The thread is here.  It has not been resolved, but there may be information there that can help.

Good luck.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 68
Highlighted

Oh wow, yes that thread does describe my issue perfectly.

Since I posted, I went to FIDO store were my SIM was replaced, Phone was factory reset and they even reset the network settings somewhere on the server. The issue is still happening - I have TWO LG G5s and both are dropping calls daily, SMS messages have to be resend, I tried disabling LTE, VOLTE, nothing changes. I was advised by FIDO store NOT to send phone in for repairs as if the issue is not obvious (i.e. phone is not dead) they will not do anything, just reset it again.

This is beyond rediculous. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 68

Hey @sardanapal

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing issues with your connection to our network. To be sure we've gone through all the possible causes behind this, can you let us know if the issue is location specific at all? 

Does this happen everywhere you go? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 68

I cant tell for sure if its location specific, but it definately happens a lot when I am at home. People keep asking me "are you in the basement?" as my voice is constantly breaking up to them. The interesting thing is that I hear them loud and clear why they struggle to hear me. Then the call would disconnect and then I will look at the network signal strength and I get at most one bar. Earlier today it happened at Bayview and hwy7 - the phone lost network for about 30 minutes and nothing would make it connnect - not restart, not disabling LTE, 30 minutes later the phone started workign fine, and I did not move. By the way I never get more then two signal strength bars when I am on LTE. Not in any location. Disabling LTE seems to help somewhat but not much. Happens to both my LG G5 phones.   

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 68

Thank you for all of this information @sardanapal

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 68
I'm a Participant Level 3 Chowhyeva

I have the same issue with Fido as well, can you please let me know if there is a way to solve it?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 68

Hi @Chowhyeva!

Welcome to Community Smiley

Did you also update your OS recently? Can you also let us know the details of the issue that you are having? 

Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 68
I'm a Participant Level 3 Chowhyeva

I havent update my OS. My issue is when I go to the underground parking and then back to the ground, my phone signal including voice call and data wont return as normal and I have to restart my phone every time which is very annoying. I have call Fido and they have reset my phone network but still wont work.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 68