cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G3 - low signal strength on LTE mode

J-Walk
I'm a contributor level 2

In my home, I noticed that when the network mode is on LTE the signal is consistently 1 bar. But when i change it to HSPA or GSM, it goes up to 4-5 bars. Is this normal for LG phones or other LTE phones? My friend who lives with me has a samsung phone but has full bars when on LTE mode.

***Edited to add labels***

14 REPLIES 14

J-Walk
So you're saying LTE is more "vulnerable" to buildings and the type of phone, while the 4G is more consistent?

Any network can be affected, not only LTE. Signal strength depends on which frequency you're connected to and how close you are the tower you are as well as your environment. 

If you're connected to LTE and make/receive a call, you're phone will switch to 3G/4G. The LTE network is stricly for data. 

Hope it helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello fellow fido peeps. Another important thing to note:  LTE Antennas might be in a completely different physical location than a 2G/3G Antenna, so your phone might show a stronger signal on 3G than on LTE, however your phone should be smart enough to know if the LTE signal, though its lower than normal is usable or not, and will camp on that signal if certain conditions exist, otherwise your phone will want to lock onto the 2G or 3G signal instead. If you can make a phone call without it breaking up, you should be ok.  Another thing, some phones may have different set of LTE frequencies so it may not always report the same as you or your friends.

Hope This Helps

KotaSlvr
I'm a participant level 1

I appear to be having similar connection issues with my brand new G3... Except it isn't just when I'm indoors. I was biking around my town this morning and in many places, I got 1-2 bars, while in other places I got 3 or more. I looked it up and it would appear to be an issue with the G3. Other than this though, I have no reason to change phones.

cyw4life

Im currently having this issue not so much with the LTE but signal itself, I am inside and i cant even make a phone call or contact 611 unless i am outside and restart the phone so because the phone is under warrety I am getting it sent in.  Hopefully tomorow, Its fusterating when you switch providers and phones and having this issue.. Is basically like having an expensive paper weight when i am at home becasue i cant send or recieve txt messages or phone calls.. So if it is a phone issue the customers who have the LG G3 should get something done due to its an issue on the LGs end with partnerships with Fido. Ive been dealing with this for over a week and i dont know anyone else who has rogers and or fido for me to check ou there phone for the signal issue. 

sarj

My sister, her husband, and myself all switched to LG G3 phones on fido and reception (phone/data) has been terrible.  It's happening to all 3 of us and I know its the phone because I used to own an S5 and didn't have these issues.  Not to mention the terrible call quality...notice it more with other fido customers.  Sometimes the call becomes very echoey and have to hang up to fix it.  

@sarj wrote:

My sister, her husband, and myself all switched to LG G3 phones on fido and reception (phone/data) has been terrible.  It's happening to all 3 of us and I know its the phone because I used to own an S5 and didn't have these issues.  Not to mention the terrible call quality...notice it more with other fido customers.  Sometimes the call becomes very echoey and have to hang up to fix it.  

Hello Sarj,

Welcome to the forums!

First, it is fairly common for LTE signal to be less than that of 2G or '3G' because the LTE signals cannot penetrate as well as those for 2G or '3G'. People have noticed that their signal might stay at 1 or 2 bars then suddenly jump to 4 bars when a call comes through. As FidoRachel alluded to in the solution, voice calls (except for voLTE) are sent via 2G or '3G' only. So the 1 or 2 bars would be LTE and then the phone switches to 2G or '3G' for the call (4 bars). All phones would experience this so some degree. Some phones have had issues switching networks. In some of those cases, turning off LTE seems to have helped.

With regards to call quality, it could be due to Google's voice detection or LG's voice enhancement and/or privacy keeper (see here, here and here). Give those suggestions a try.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi sarj!

Are all 3 phones having this issue on LTE only, or it also happens on 2G/3G? Is it only in a specific location, or everywhere?

Let me know!

Thanks for your feedback KotaSlvr and welcome to the Community!

A lot of things can have an impact on the network strenght, your location being one of them. Keep in mind that the network travels in the air and if, for example, you have lots of tall buildings around you or there's a mountain between you and the closest cell phone tower, that will impact for sure!

Smiley 

J-Walk
Unfortunately my friend doesn't have the Samsung phone anymore so I couldn't test it out. Their current phone (galaxy core lte) is also experiencing low signal.
I read somewhere that LTE can't penetrate past walls as well as 4G networks, thus having lower bars when indoors (goes up to 5 bars very occassionally when I'm outdoors). I also noticed when I'm receiving or making calls the network automatically changes to 4G. so what's exactly happening with the LTE network??

I see, J-Walk. Thanks for letting us know.

The lte signal (or any type of signal) can indeed vary depending on the phone you are using. Also, different types of building materials can impede your signal strength. 

As for the network changing during the voice calls, you should still be able to continue your calls on 4g. Let us know if they drop when the network switches from lte to 4g.

Thanks!

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey J-Walk. 

Does your friend also have a Fido phone? 

Community, has anyone else experienced this?

Keep us posted. 

J-Walk

yes, we both have a Fido phone

Hey J-Walk,

Does the same issue occur when you try his SIM card in your phone or your SIM card in his phone? 

Let us know!