Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUAWEI Emui 9

alwaqfi
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I have HUAWEI P20 (OS V8.1). I want to ask when the new OS (Emui 9) will be available?

Best Regards,

Asif

15 REPLIES 15

GBad1
I'm a participant level 1

Just getting it now in Stoney Creek

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

before you update, back up data on to cloud , make sure phone is plug into power in case of install crash due to battery outage.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

If you’re updating OTA data loss isn’t really a concern. Now if you’re going to force the update using erecovery then yes you’ll definitely lose all your data and backup is advisable.

mike

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Asif EMUI 9 is just Huawei’s skin on top of Android 9.0 ..most of the free world already has the update and rumour has it some Rogers, Fido and Koodo customers have been blessed to receive it already. I’m sure it’ll come in January but frankly I wouldn’t bet my life on it. There are in fact methods to get the update without waiting for the OTA update from Fido but it’s probably not worth the effort.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Alwaqfi,

Welcome to the community!

According to the OS Upgrade schedule, the Android P update rolled out for that phone starting December 17th. I believe the EMUI 9 is apart of that update. Since the rollout is sent in batches, your phone should receive the update shortly.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

alwaqfi

Thank you @Cawtau for the reply, The Update schedule does not mention anything about Emui 9 for Huawei  devices. It only mentions Android P 9.0 for Google Pixel and Emui 8.1 for Huawei phones (Except Huawei Mate 20 Pro). Maybe the list need to be updated?

@ProacThank you, I am aware of it is a reskin, however I am using the term Emui since it is the name using in OS update page :).Yea there are other ways, but some of them is country restricted so not available in Canada like HiCare (If I remember the app name correctly) and others too much hussle to bother lol.

Hello again,

@alwaqfi wrote:...The Update schedule does not mention anything about Emui 9 for Huawei  devices. It only mentions Android P 9.0 for Google Pixel and Emui 8.1 for Huawei phones ..

OS Update.jpg

~adapted from OS Schedule link above

The current OS for the Huawei P20 is Android 8.1. However if you look at the expected availability for Android P, the rollout started December 17th. As with other OS upgrades, the rollouts are staggered (see here). Your phone should receive the update shortly.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Josecito1978

Hello I have a Huawei P20 and today is the last day of the update, but I am still waiting. Is something wrong with my phone? 

Thanks!!

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Well isn't that great news 🙄 4 days left for the supposed update to the P20 Pro but I'm not holding my breath  I've heard thru the grapevine some people have received the update but like Bigfoot I can't confirm this personally  Considering that the update was supposed to be pushed out December 19th of last year it's becoming ridiculous  

Hey @Proac! No worries, you'll be getting it soon enough. Smiley

They'll be pushing updates until January 14th at least. Just a little bit longer.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@FidoPhilippe  my frustration stems from the fact that I can't even believe anything Fido claims about the update. Honestly what are the odds that all the people I personally know with this device haven't received the update  What's the recourse when Jan 14th comes and goes and still no update.. Adding to the frustration is you can jump thru a few hoops and get the 9.0.0.160 firmware directly from Huawei without any carrier meddling with it, so why can't Fido simply push it to my phone. 

FidoJo1
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Proac

I'm really sorry to see you feel this way and I can understand your frustration.  

On our end, we do our best so you can get the latest update available on your device. We do appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to forward it to the team in charge.

For now, I invite you to keep an eye on our OS upgrade schedule for updates.

ryadav
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3

P20 - Dec 17th to Jan 9th but I believe no one updated that they did receive the upgrade or not. Funny fact is that most even on 11th didnt get the update while roll out date has not been revised...

thinkman_ca

Still nothing but I know someone did

Hey @Josecito1978,

We're still rolling out the updates on the Huawei P20, you should get it soon Smiley

Keep us posted!