FM radio app blocked?

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

FM radio app blocked?

I just read about an FM radio app ("NextRadio") that allows you to listen to radio over a smart phone, provided that the manufacturer and the service provider both allow access. (See https://www.thestar.com/business/tech_news/2017/09/29/apple-urged-to-activate-fm-radio-chips-in-ipho...). So I installed it, but when I tried to use it, it just displayed a message saying that the service provider doesn't allow access to the feature. What is Fido's policy on this?

Here's a web site hosting a petition to the CRTC demanding that manufacturers and service providers unblock this feature. We're being overcharged for cell service in Canada, and we paid for these phones, most of which have this capability built in to them already. Please everybody sign it. http://freeradioonmyphone.ca/

**Edited to add tags and labels**

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 26
Highlighted

Re: FM radio app blocked?

@Cawtau And how many of these devices with FM radio support does Fido sell? Or are you going to tell me that it's the manufacturers who decide which phones the service providers should sell?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 26
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@dkettle wrote:

@Cawtau I'm not a conspiracy theorist. You must work for Fido. Do they pay you to lie for them?

Hello again,

No, I do not work for Fido. I don't get paid to provide information on here. I don't even have any affiliation with the telecommunications industry. I'm just willing to do a little research.

The fact that you do assume I must work for Fido proves my point!!

I'm leaving this conversation because you obviously won't believe any facts even when they've been provided.

Have a good day Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 26
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

Here's the CRTC's web page for filing complaints: http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/

Sample text (just copy and paste):

"When is the CRTC going to force manufacturers and service providers to turn on the FM radio capability in the phones they sell? The service providers blame it on the manufacturers and  the manufacturers blame it on the service providers. Meanwhile, they're acting in collusion and laughing all the way to the bank. This is a public safety issue. In an emergency (even just a severe electrical storm or power outage), internet and cell phone service may not be available, but radio service is more reliable and more likely to still be available."

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 26
Highlighted

The phone descriptions on Fido's web site don't tell you if a particular phone has FM radio capability and if it's enabled. Why not? Because they don't want you to buy a phone with FM radio enabled.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 26
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

You're making an awful lot of assumptions here.   Just because a phone has a chipset in it that would support an FM radio doesn't mean the manufacturer designed an FM radio into their smartphone.  Modem chipsets from Intel and Qualcomm may or may not include FM radio capabilities, but the handset manufacturers need to build in a physical pathway for an FM antennae as well as tuner capabilities (software and hardware).

Considering that Apple's pushing for all-wireless usage of their devices, that negates using your headphone cord as an FM antennae.  They would need to build another one into the phone.

If the CRTC and FCC mandate this functionality, you'll see it added by every handset manufacturer, but many (most?) consumers wouldn't use it (and likely wouldn't agree with the cost of their handset going up to support it).

Feature development isn't free.  It's very expensive.  There needs to be a return on investment for doing so (or a regulatory barrier to market that necessitates it).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 26
Highlighted

@fischersd You should do more research. Most smartphones already have the FM chipset in them, except recent iPhones (surprise!). The "added cost" to activate the capability is $0. A pair of headphones acts as an antenna. And there are free apps which function as "tuners". See my original post for links.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 26
Highlighted

Just because the modem chipset manufacturer included that in their chipset doesn't mean the manufacturer implemented it in the handset!  It's certainly not mandatory.

You need to verify on a case by case basis with the manufacturer that each SKU has an actual FM radio function built into it or not.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 26