spam going direct to voicemail

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

spam going direct to voicemail

Just switched from Bell to Fido but am now getting numerous voicemail spam without getting a missed call. Very annoying. Wife's phone doing the same. This did not happen with Bell.

Accepted Solution

Re: spam going direct to voicemail

@BBG wrote:

Just switched from Bell to Fido but am now getting numerous voicemail spam without getting a missed call. Very annoying. Wife's phone doing the same. This did not happen with Bell.

Hello BBG,

Welcome to the community!

When you switched from Bell, did you and your wife keep your old numbers or did you get new numbers from Fido?

Is it possible your phones are blocking the numbers automatically? I think the Samsungs allow for blocking of unknown numbers. I understand the calls go straight to voicemail. However, you should be able to check the phone number from the messages' voicemail header (time, date and caller's number - if available) . When accessing your voicemail, press 5 to access the header. You can find additional information regarding voice messaging here. Obviously, if the caller does not broadcast their number, then it would not be available.

If you are able to obtain the phone numbers, you might consider blocking those numbers. Unfortunately however, there is not very much that can be done regarding SPAM voicemail. It's strange though, I find they rarely leave messages...  Most phones block calls by muting the ringer so you're just not aware of the calls. Since the calls are not actually blocked, they are sent to voicemail.

There are apps which claim to block callers and prevent voicemail from being left. Those apps actually answer and, almost simultaneously, hang-up the calls. Since the calls were answered, they do not get sent to voicemail. You should note, however, that those calls are considered answered and therefore charged for airtime.

Only the providers can actually block calls before they reach your phone. If you are able to get the phone numbers of the culprits, you might consider forwarding them to Fido to see if they can add them to a call filter. Since there are no customisable call filters for each customer, they might not be able to block certain numbers in case other customers need access to those numbers. Similarly, they would not be able to block all unknown numbers since some people choose not to broadcast their phone numbers. While it's true those numbers usually show as private, they can sometimes show as unknown. In addition, with spoofing, it can be near impossible to determine where the numbers actually originated from. It's not fair to block the numbers of an innocent individuals whose numbers had been spoofed.

If your phone numbers are new numbers, have you considered registering them with the National Do Not Call list?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @BBG

Welcome to the Community! 

That's not what we like to hear, have you tried blocking those calls? 

We have a blog post about receiving spam calls and texts, check it out here .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted

How can I block a call that goes directly to voicemail? There is no number to block.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I might not have understood the situation correctly @BBG.

How do you know they are spam voicemails ? What is indicating that?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted

I listened to the messages and they are telemarketers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @BBG!

What phone are you using? In most phones, you'd have an option to block specific numbers in your call settings.

Let me know. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted

I am using a Galaxy 4. As I stated in a previous post, The call goes directly to voicemail. There is no number to block.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@BBG Did you program your phone to redirect the call to voicemail, or does this just happen on it's own?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted

I have not programmed any numbers to go to voicemail. I have a number of calls blocked, however. I did not get any of these direct to voicemail messages with Bell. I have not made any changes to my phone when I switched to Fido. The only changes were what Fido made to activate my account.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

@BBG wrote:

Hello BBG,

Welcome to the community!

When you switched from Bell, did you and your wife keep your old numbers or did you get new numbers from Fido?

Is it possible your phones are blocking the numbers automatically? I think the Samsungs allow for blocking of unknown numbers. I understand the calls go straight to voicemail. However, you should be able to check the phone number from the messages' voicemail header (time, date and caller's number - if available) . When accessing your voicemail, press 5 to access the header. You can find additional information regarding voice messaging here. Obviously, if the caller does not broadcast their number, then it would not be available.

If you are able to obtain the phone numbers, you might consider blocking those numbers. Unfortunately however, there is not very much that can be done regarding SPAM voicemail. It's strange though, I find they rarely leave messages...  Most phones block calls by muting the ringer so you're just not aware of the calls. Since the calls are not actually blocked, they are sent to voicemail.

There are apps which claim to block callers and prevent voicemail from being left. Those apps actually answer and, almost simultaneously, hang-up the calls. Since the calls were answered, they do not get sent to voicemail. You should note, however, that those calls are considered answered and therefore charged for airtime.

Only the providers can actually block calls before they reach your phone. If you are able to get the phone numbers of the culprits, you might consider forwarding them to Fido to see if they can add them to a call filter. Since there are no customisable call filters for each customer, they might not be able to block certain numbers in case other customers need access to those numbers. Similarly, they would not be able to block all unknown numbers since some people choose not to broadcast their phone numbers. While it's true those numbers usually show as private, they can sometimes show as unknown. In addition, with spoofing, it can be near impossible to determine where the numbers actually originated from. It's not fair to block the numbers of an innocent individuals whose numbers had been spoofed.

If your phone numbers are new numbers, have you considered registering them with the National Do Not Call list?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 22