Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling worked & stopped working

andre88224
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I am using an ulocked iphone. I just swithched to Fido yesterday from Rogers, and I gave my IMEI to the rep. I successflly activated Wifi Calling, and it worked for a couple of hours. Then it was turned off some how, and when I tried to turn it back on, it says to allow this account use wifi calling, please contact Fido.

I chated with support, she helped me reset my network setting on her end, and I did on my iphone too. Right now, it pops up a websit, similar layout as the one that let you fill out the first time when you try to active it. But it says unable to process your request.

Anyone can help please?

66 REPLIES 66

Segzy
I'm a participant level 1

It was a mistake switching to Fido, but good thing I haven't paid them any money yet. I'll just go back to my old network. There's no network in any developed country that will lock network features because you're using an unlocked phone. It's ridiculous . 

Berlo
I'm a contributor level 1

@FidoPierre  No, I think we can assure that Fido is making things more complicated for customers with unlocked phones and saying "we cannot guarantee full support for this service on an unlocked phone" is not honest. You deliberatly block them with the IMEI.

R_onan

same issue here. I brought my device to Fido and now they are restricting access to wifi calling. It would be better support if they allowed it (by NOT blocking the IMEI) and ask users to sign off that you may have mixed results. If there is another legitimate reason I would like to hear it, but i doubt the quality is the issue...

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @R_onan!

What type of device is it?

If it's an iPhone, the service will work even if it was not purchased from us (as long as it has iOS 9.0 or above). If it's an Android, it must be purchased from Fido and at this time the service is offered on these Android phones:

• Google Pixel2
  • Google Pixel2 XL
  • LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG Q6
  • LG V30
  • LG Xpower 2
  • Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
  • Samsung Galaxy A8
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy S9+

I hope this helps! 

AnonymousUser

According to @FidoStephen here:

Phone Compatibility: 

iOS

• Have an iPhone 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8 or 8 Plus, iPhone X with iOS 9 or later installed. You’ll also need to update your carrier settings when you get the prompt at the end of the OS installation.

ANDROID

• LG G4 with Android software version 6.0 (or later), LG G5 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later), LG G6, G7, V30 or X power 2 with Android software version 7.0 (or later).
  • Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017), A8, S6, S6 Edge, S7, S7 Edge, S8, S8+, S9, S9+, Note 8 with Android software version 6.0.1 (or later).
  • Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL with Android software version 8.1 (or later).

What else you need:

1. Have your phone’s Wi-Fi Calling feature turned On.
  2. Be signed up for a voice and data plan with a monthly bill.
  3. An LTE SIM inserted into your device.

Note: Wi-Fi Calling isn’t available to Prepaid service customers.

*If you have any of the following features, you won’t be able to use Wi-Fi Calling:

• Data blocking
  • Teletypewriter

QUESTION:

Does that mean that Fido does NOT support WiFi-Calling for:

-iPhone SE (although iPhone 5C/5S/6/6S are supported by Fido)

-Data-Only plans (nonetheless capable of charging for incoming/outgoing local/LD calls and SMS/MMS)

-Tablets that are capable of incoming/outgoing SMS/MMS

-Android Built-in features or Android/iOS apps that limit/monitor data usage?

AnonymousUser

ANY TROUBLESHOOTING IDEAS/FEEDBACK/SUGGESTIONS?

SIM card #1 (FidoA): WiFi-Calling does NOT work on unlocked Phone #1, but, works on unlocked Phone #2

SIM card #2 (FidoA): WiFi-Calling does NOT work on unlocked Phone #1, but, works on unlocked Phone #2

-Fido A is a plan, exactly the same for each of two lines

-SIM cards are exact same newer bright yellow versions, (c)2017?

In other words: 

Cell Phone #1 (iPhone 6S): WiFi-Calling does NOT work with SIM card #1... or... SIM card #2

Cell Phone #2 (LG G6): WiFi-Calling works with SIM card #1... or... SIM card #2

-LG G6 and iPhone 6S were both purchased locked & later unlocked from same Canadian carrier, not Fido

-LG G6 has the latest Android version 8

-iPhone 6S has the latest iOS version 12.1.4

-both phones have been factory reset, setup as new phones, had their network settings reset, have the latest Carrier versions (iOS Fido 35.0), have the APN settings as per the Fido website instructions for iPhone and Android, have been rebooted multiple times

-both SIM cards have been taken out and put back in, and SIM cards were even replaced.

-iPhone 6S has been previously and recently using WiFi-Calling with other Canadian carriers

QUESTION:

Does the fact that both SIM cards work with WiFi-Calling on Phone #2 rule out the issue being on the Fido account/lines themselves or related to SOC codes that need to be deleted and re-entered again?

Since @FidoNick posted in this thread:

a) "If it's an iPhone, the service will work even if it was not purchased from us (as long as it has iOS 9.0 or above)", and

b) If it's an Android, it must be purchased from Fido and at this time the service is offered on these Android phones:

• LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)

Then Fido WiFi-Calling should work on the iPhone 6S (it does NOT with either SIM card) and it should NOT work on the LG G6 (it DOES work with either SIM card), despite the LG G6 not acquired/purchased from Fido.

Please reply here rather than via PM, so that everyone can benefit from the troubleshooting/suggestions.

Hey @AnonymousUser

Thank you for taking the time and providing this information, it definitely helps us understand the steps that have already been taken. 

To answer your first few questions.

-    The iPhone SE itself is compatible. You can check out the compatible models on this page here
-    Our Wi-Fi calling feature is not compatible with Tablets or Data-Only plans. 
-    Device built-in features or Apps for monitoring your data usage should not have an impact on your capacity to use Wi-Fi calling. 

The fact that the service is working properly in the Non-Fido Android is great news! The device being a Non-Fido phone doesn’t automatically make it incompatible with Wi-Fi calling. However, it can happen that it doesn’t work and that our troubleshooting steps are limited in these cases. 

The fact that the Wi-Fi calling works fine when the SIM card is in the second phone is a good indication that the service is well provisioned, and it may be an issue with the phone. 

Can you tell us what happens exactly when you try to use the Wi-Fi Calling on the iPhone 6S?

Are you seeing either of the following error messages? 

•    Service not available, contact your service provider
•    Unknown Server Error, contact your service provider
•    Failed to provision the service

AnonymousUser

Thank you @FidoPierre

When in iOS 12:

Settings ~ Cellular ~ Off ~ Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone ~ <Toggle On>:

”Enable Wi-Fi Calling? When you join a network the country where the network connection is made may be sent to your carrier and your cellular identity may be sent to the Wi-Fi network operator. The city may be sent to the carrier for routing short code calls. This can be changed in Settings.”

<Cancel> <Enable>

Enable: “To allow Wi-Fi calling on this account contact fido.” (sic) This is the error message.

Again, although the error message suggests it’s the Fido account and not the phone, that same SIM card then immediately moved to the Android 8 phone allows Wi-Fi Calling to be enabled, and it is then tested/confirmed to be working by putting the phone in airplane mode and then connecting to Wi-Fi... calls/SMS/MMS are successfully sent/received. Another carrier’s SIM card is then immediately put into the iPhone 6S without even a restart and WiFi-Calling on the other carrier (not Fido) is then successfully enabled, tested, and works on the other carrier (not Fido).

The obvious variable here is the IMEI on the Fido network, with the iPhone 6S IMEI now carrier unlocked but originally locked to another Canadian carrier (not Fido), and the LG G6 IMEI never locked to any carrier as it was purchased factory unlocked.

QUESTION FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT:

Does the Fido Wi-Fi Calling service perhaps allow phone IMEIs still or at some point locked to Fido and IMEIs of phones that were never locked to any carrier (factory unlocked) but... NOT allow phone IMEIs that were at some point locked to another carrier (not Fido)?

IF so, although that may discourage some customers to get their phones from other carriers, wouldn’t Fido benefit from allowing any customers who may be using phones unlocked by other carriers to route their calls/SMS/MMS through a WiFi network that Fido doesn’t have to pay for and which reduces the customer load on the Fido network? Not to mention customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Another technical test that could perhaps further isolate the issue is to do the opposite: try enabling Fido WiFi Calling on a factory unlocked iPhone and then on an Android phone unlocked by another carrier (not Fido), both phones using the same Fido SIM card and both tested/confirmed Wi-Fi capable on another carrier’s SIM card.

Thanks for continuing this here in the public Fido forum instead of via PM because some threads on the Fido forum suddenly move to and end in PM... and those in the community interested in the issue are left wondering how it was processed/resolved.

Hello AnonymousUser,

Firstly to address the issue of public forum vs PM. Many people think that the moderators wish to continue in PM to prevent others from knowing what was discussed to keep those solutions private. If the issue requires access to a customer's account details, sharing that personal information in an open public forum is not appropriate. That's the reason for continuing in PM, not because they don't wish others to know the solutions.

The reason why they say that Wifi-calling and voLTE should work on specified iPhones, but they do not guarantee the same with android phones is that there is a Global database for iPhone IMEIs. There is no such database for android devices. It's one benefit of Apple's closed system.

I understand you note that your iPhone 6S has not been able to use those functions. It's possible that the account is not provisioned for that device. Each SIM would be provisioned for a particular device. Your being able to use both SIMs in the LG G6 suggests neither SIM is provisioned for iPhone. You might consider contacting customer service and have them provision one of the SIMs for the iPhone 6S. Alternatively, you could PM a moderator. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access the account details.

Contrary to what others might believe, Fido does not blacklist IMEIs. However, if an android device's IMEI is not in their inventory database (ie device purchased from Fido), they do not guarantee that those services will work. As you note, it does happen to work in some cases. It does not have to do with any previous network lock to other carriers.

@AnonymousUser wrote:...wouldn’t Fido benefit from allowing any customers who may be using phones unlocked by other carriers to route their calls/SMS/MMS through a WiFi network that Fido doesn’t have to pay for and which reduces the customer load on the Fido network? ...

Even though a phone with Wifi-calling enabled might not connect to local cellular towers, calls and messages still route through the Fido networks. It is not the same as other app-based Wifi-calling which route entirely via the internet (see graphic here). It's access to the gateway which needs provsioning. So while it's true Wifi-calling might reduce the load at local cellular towers, it does not reduce the customer load on the Fido networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly on your device. 

You can also read-up on this, directly on Fido.ca here, on our Wi-Fi Calling page.

Look under the section: "Do I need a specific device or plan to use Wi-Fi Calling?" 

All of the information can be found here 😃

Wired

Hello,

I have issues with wifi-calling dropping every 3 min. to 15 min.  I have tried fido and rogers technical support without success...Tried airplane mode, phone reset, different wifi spot and still have same issue. Is there anyone can point if its either the fido network or my device the issue? My cell signal is very weak at home so wifi calling is very important to me....

FidoJo1
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Wired

Welcome to the Community🙂

I moved your post to this thread as it's about Wi-Fi calling and it might help!  Since when are you experiencing this situation and what device are you using?

Also are you using a Fido device?  If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, it may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly.

You can check the details About Wi-Fi Calling here

Wired

There is another thread too on the forum about lg g6 wifi calling dropping call

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Wired,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'll send you a PM to take a closer look into it.

Wired

@FidoClaudia 

Thanks for trying to help me!

Many users seems to be affected by lg's wifi calling dropping ...  I think this issue need to be addressed properly to the manufacturer by fido and get fixed to a more holistic level.  I cannot send my phone for repair if my phone is working fine beside the wifi calling feature provided by your company.

Wired

@FidoClaudia @FidoJo1 @Cawtau 

Wifi calling have been fixed on my phine for a while now. Many thanks!

Wired

Hello, me and my wife have lg q6 and lg g6. Same issue both purchased at fido store. We started to have issue i would say around feb.

VirgilBoy

This situation seems to be very hard to believe. I have an unlocked iPhone 6 and switched to Fido from Rogers a number of months ago.

Prior to the switch, Wi-Fi calling worked perfectly with Rogers, and with T-Mobile when I spent two winters in Florida.

Just what is so "special" about the Fido version of Wi-Fi calling?

Hi @VirgilBoy!

It should work on your phone. What happens when you try to set it up?

VirgilBoy

Hi Maria

Well...yes..my sentiments exactly. The response when you try to turn it on is "to allow this account use wifi calling, please contact Fido" I have worked with tech support a few times since switching to Fido. 

Obviously they were unable to get it to work. Since Rogers and Fido are the same company, I can't see why the 2 divisions are not using the same protocols.

I have read numerous reports of iPhone users who purchased their iPhone from Apple, unlocked, are unable to get Wi-Fi calling from Fido.

Maybe I need to call back and move my complaint to manager level.

@VirgilBoy I don't think that will be necessary. Wink

I'll send you a PM!