Why is Fido's website and app so horrendously awful?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Why is Fido's website and app so horrendously awful?

It seriously blows my mind how many times things go wrong with this bloody website, not to mention the app!
For the amount of money we're paying, you would think they could hire a couple people who actually know what they're doing to run the site.

Every single time I try to log in I get an error. Every single time I try to navigate the site on my phone it never loads. Every single time I try to use the app it stops working.

To any Fido reps reading this, please tell SOMEONE to get together about this issue. It's been recurring for YEARS, it's entirely unprofessional and frankly embarrassing. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted

Re: Why is Fido's website and app so horrendously awful?

Hey @SoKeta,

Welcome to our Community!

This is definitely not the kind of experience we want you to have and we appreciate the feedback! We're always trying to improve our customers' experience, so I'll definitely send it to the right people!

This being said, I'd love to see how we can help you out! 

You mentioned not being able to log in to your online account. Can you let me know if you use your phone number or rather your email address as user name?

When you navigate the website, which browser do you usually use?  Also, do you navigate from your smartphone or another device?

As for the My Account App, when does it stop working? Is it before you log in or after? Are you able to log in on the app? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it to see if that helps?

Let me know and we'll take it from there Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido staff is sitting at the smaller end here, I guess. There are hints in the source code (like "rogersecomm"), that the Fido webpages are part of the ROGERS mother company and even possibly done, rather half-hearted, by a contractor.

The important word here is "half-hearted", like having no spirit in doing that website. It's technically (under the hood) the worst website I ever saw so far. I visit that website always with developer tools activated in Chromium webbrowser, to watch for things turning into the better. The design (the theme) is okay, I'm kinda used to it, but there's still some room for improvement as well.

But simply serving well seems not to be the goal of the site anyways, look at this:

* A "ping" connection to www.restive.io is done without using transport layer security, hence the browser is complaining about "mixed-content", as a result that call is blocked. Well, I guess it's a tracker.

* The login management is processed by a Florida based company (Janrain, [1]). Fancy, to have all the login credentials stored, extensive user behavioral tracking data produced and everything processed in the US.

* Another US based tracker, assets.adobedtm.com, is used to load code snippets. If you block that node, the page is not showing any data in your account management anymore.

* The next tracker is qualtrics.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is doubleclick.net, blockable.

* The next tracker is everesttech.net (Adobe), blockable.

* The next tracker is demdex.net (Adobe), blockable.

* The next tracker is stracking.rogers.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is sb.scorecardresearch.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is www.googleadservices.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is www.google-analytics.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is addthis.com, blockable.

* The next tracker is optimizely.com, blockable.

* Twitter and Facebook, of course, blockable.

There are some cloudfront connections as well, whatever they do. No time to dissect that right now.

So, don't wonder about loading times and quirks.

My personal conclusion is: That website is not about serving you in the way you expect it as a paying Fido customer, it's more about serving odd third parties down the line and a whole bunch of them.

Simple strategy: Put something of use into the web and track visitors like hell. It's the same concept you have with free smartphone apps.

Serious (and paid!) service providers should _never_ sell away their customers, to make more revenue behind their backs or let others play with your data.

It's so sad, I'm quite disappointed. Not to speak about the potential security implications, made possible by this (Huh? Login processing done by a foreign corp?).

PS: Somebody should check their app, if it is a user profiling data monger as well.

[1] http://www.janrain.com/about/

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 16
Highlighted

Developer here as well. I was about to post something similar until I saw your post.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I admit I had the exact same thought today while trying to access the site on mobile. I wanted to see the page where there's all the different phone models, so I tapped on the link and the little "loading spinner" on iOS was spinning and spinning endlessly and after a while.... nothing. I tried 2-3 times and gave up. Seems like the site is bloated.

Why can't Fido optimize their site? It's not like there's a shortage of competant web devs in Canada. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted

Senior Web Dev here too. Wow, I agree with the above. Code quality is very poor and seems like little if no QA has been done on the site.

Searching for it in google gives you the global.pageTitle as a title, which is a fail, and theres plenty of other variables shown in plain sight until they are processed. Looks like its AngularJS, so they should really make more use of the ng-cloak featires. And deeplinks/page refreshes are handled badly, as well as the poor social login. I've used janrain before, but only on small personal projects, and a long time ago. Cmon fido, im sure you can shell out for a better solution here. Its poorly implemented.

Im working full time, so not looking for extra work, but as I am also a Fido customer, I would 'almost' be happy to join some Beta volunteer team to at least test SOME of the epic fails that might appear before they are released to production.

I'm glad to be able to rant to others who feel the same, as I've mentioned many issues to Fido Facebook Messenger, and they seem to be happy with receiving the feedback, but they don't get how serious these issues are/they dont seem to be improving.

What will it take before they start taking this seriously? They should be grateful we are even bringing it up. Their own staff should have done it before us!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted

It's a little mind blowing how bad the site and app are. My boyfriend and I both like our phone service but have never been able to do anything online. No matter what we do or how many times we log in (both totally seperate accounts) the site never recognizes that we're logged in. So I can't even do simple things like update my address or make changes to my account. It just makes me log in again. Also it always shows that I owe 0 dollars so I'm forced to get a stupid paper bill every month. Would love to just be digtal but I can't see what I owe.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey renalilawrence! 

Welcome to the Community!

It's unfortunate to see that you've both been having difficulty navigating My Account. 

Does the same thing happen when you try logging in from another browser as well? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies on the browser you're currently using when logging in? 

Let us know. The more details you can provide us the better!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @renalilawrence!

Let us know if testing a different browser and/or clearing your cache and cookies changed anything.

The Community would love an update!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 16
Highlighted

app and website, They are  bad ,from here i ll start, why dont you hire me alone 

i can make pretty simple website and app which can hire

i will do it for free seriously I am not kidding 

for god sake give chance nd i ll  sure inprove quality of ur app and website which u could not provide in last 2 years...that even for free

I am software tester by profession, i know the job and have confidence can alone design an app and launch it for you even for free u want to have to invest millions of dollars yo keep alive bad unstable unsteady untested unreliable app and website.

it’s been more than 2 years i m using fido

i hope i could switch to bell so can get relief from this people , I shall be in 2-3 months as my plan expires, 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 16