cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Fido not offer 5G?

Orb2
I'm a participant level 1

I understand that Rogers flanker services do not yet offer 5G. But why not?  Fido is a complete phone service and should provide 5G to all of its customers, we already have LTE so using that as a placebo excuse by saying you are improving that doesn't cut it. We want 5G services to match the current phone technology. What does the CRTC say about this ridiculous situation? I have been a customer since 2007 and the Fido service has been amazing but I do not want to transfer to Rogers to get 5G. 

14 REPLIES 14

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Orb2,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand being excited about the latest technology.  As you are aware, Fido is not currently offering 5G services (see here). They are concentrating on improving the LTE networks. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker brands are offering 5G services either. 

The different levels of flanker providers offer different services. To reduce costs for customers, they must be selective in the options and services they offer. Mobile flanker brands don't get premium options like 5G, data sharing, or bundling, but their plans often offer the best balance of price and functionality (taken from here). That said, there is speculation that the first tier flanker brands could offer 5G access for a fee at some point (see here). Unfortunately, this notion is still only conjecture. No one here would know if or when this could happen. Any update on 5G access would be announced on Fido.ca.

I don't think the CRTC regulates what services a business chooses to offer (or not to offer). Those are business decisions, not issues of undue preference (see here, under Regulation of telephone service). For the moment, if you want to access 5G services, you will need to switch to one of the parent providers (ie Rogers, Bell, Telus or Videotron, etc).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

pwingert
I'm a contributor level 1

So, it is now a year later, and we are starting to see freedom mobile offer 5G as well as other flanker brands. Does Fido currently (A year later) have any plans to add 5G? (I'm interested in a data plan for my tablet a 10th gen iPad) Or do I have to wait to 2030 when 4G is deprecated and  5G will become the replacement while they roll out 7G in the next 5 years after that? 

ChrisNiedbalka

Unfortunately, after many years of being a Fido customer, I have to leave because of the no 5G service. I am now unable to start my car because the provider of that service does not acknowledge 3G service as it is too old. I am not sure, but these little steps are going to end up piling up and Fido will lose out on more and more business. It's unfortunate that you are being forced into using old technology because of the buyout and slowly and purposefully being put out of business because of it. None the less it was a good run while it lasted. My family and I will all be switching providers  by the end of next week, So long Fido.

pwingert

Just wait till 2030 (It's only 7 years away now!😎) when 4G is deprecated and 5G is required to be a replacement for it. It will then be mandatory. But by then 7G should have begun being implemented.

chrisk69

What in the world are you talking about? Fido is owned by rogers... the infrastructure is already there - in most of the populated areas. It would quite literally be a flick of a switch to enable 5G in those areas that rogers has expanded in to. Why try to pretend as if Fido has their own infrastructure? You're not working on improving anything... rogers would be the ones working on anything infra related. Shame on you for blatantly lying in a public forum.

-Chris

Hello Chrisk69,

I never claimed Fido had their own infrastructure. I'm sorry, but had you bothered to access the information in the associated link provided? My statement that they are concentrating on improving their LTE networks was taken from there:

Network.jpg

~taken from link provided above.

In fact, that statement was a direct take from that page, though they have now updated it. That's why the link was provided.

Regardless, as already mentioned, the flanker brands often don't have access to certain features or services in order to keep costs lower. Another example would be the 2nd tier flanker brands only offering 3G speeds. Yes, the infrastructure is already there, but they only get access to lower speeds because their costs are often even lower than the 1st tier flanker brands.

Just because they use the same network as Rogers doesn't mean that they get access to the same services. The different level of flanker brands offer different services. If you would like access to 5G, you would need to switch to one of the Parent providers.

Perhaps you should read the provided information before accusing people of lying.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

PeteMoss

Ahh....I take exception to Fido being referred to as a "flanker" service. I have been a customer since the Microcell Solutions days prior to Roger's acquiring Fido. My understanding was that, at the time, Fido's infrastructure was newer and faster than Rogers existing gear in the 401 corridor of Ontario. 

I am also disappointed to learn that Rogers/Fido recently had no problem financing/selling me a 5G capable phone with no intention of providing me with 5G service. Remember the "Jolly Roger's Cable" moniker? This is the type of activity that created it:

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/rogers-cable-apologizes

Hello PeteMoss,

Sorry to hear you take exception to the reference of Fido being a flanker brand. I appreciate you have been a customer since the Microcell days. In fact, I have been as well. Yes, at the time, Microcell was the first to use GSM networks. However, that was 18 years ago.

I understand many people have issues with Rogers for various reasons. However, without Rogers, Fido would still be 2G. As a part of its acquisition by Rogers, their shared networks afforded Fido access to their 2G and '3G' networks. In addition, it was Rogers which allowed Fido access to their LTE networks in 2011. Fido customers benefitted from its purchase by Rogers more than they tend to remember. While Fido was not created, like competing flanker-brand Koodo, it was re-positioned as Rogers' mid-range brand.

I also understand you are disappointed you were sold a 5G-capable device. However, most new phones in production would include 5G bands/frequencies. It doesn't make sense for manufacturers to not include upcoming technologies in their mid- to high-end phones. I am not aware of any new iPhone, Samsung, or Google device without 5G bands/frequencies. In addition, customers want new phones for a variety of reasons (ie faster chipsets, bigger screens, higher resolution cameras,.. etc). It's not fair to deny customers the newest phones just because they don't offer 5G services.

For the moment, if you want to access 5G services, you will need to switch to one of the parent providers (ie Rogers, Bell, Telus or Videotron, etc).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

pwingert

So, the question is what happens when 3G, and 4G are deprecated (#G is being deprecated in the states already by Verizon). You will only be left with 5G (That is supposed to start being deprecated by 2030)?

kailedude
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

So in otherwords its just like how BELL took over MTS and took everything good it had to then toss it aside later but then force everyone to Move to BELL lateron once they sphioned off everything related to cellular  just in this place its used as a honey pot for cheaper services for luring?

Is it really that hard/difficult/expensive to Use/Buy/Rent/Build a 5G tower especially since most major cities have 5G towers everywhere so its not like the coverage is not there but also You Generate How Many Millions per Year and so you think Rogers would see that as incentive to Slowly roll it out because  2019 to 2023 soon 2024 and we still only get 4G/LTE/LTE+...... 

To cheap to update the side company but still want new customers and so show them Deals but then slap them with unbearable snail speeds.

Always a trade off with services yes but same time Is telling us that we just have to accpet it or move on Really a Good Business Practice?

Pretty much saying Hey come spend money with us but you will only get limited specifics and thats it so Sit on it.....

Its Also not fair to offer New Devices but limit them to Outdated Networks.
We all know 5G isnt the first stop with networks just like 4G and 3G etc but that dosnt mean Keep everyone limited until it is outdated in the mainstream world and then give it to everyone because by then  what 6G ? 7G ?  8G???  

Like the Canadian Government has stated

Internet is Essential

Canadian Gov Says HS Net Essential 

Hello Kailedude,

Firstly, I do not know if, or when, Fido might introduce access to 5G services. I do understand some of the other 1st-tier flanker brands already have those services. However, no one here would be privy to that information. Any announcement would be on Fido.ca.

With regards to that link you provided, that article is with reference to broadband internet, not mobile data. Even so, the CRTC's target of 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up for broadband internet (not mobile data; see here) is satisfied by LTE's peak of 150 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up (see here).

I am not a part of their business strategy plans. However, as it stands currently, if you wished to avail of 5G services, you will need to move to one of the other providers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi  @Orb2 

Because 5G deployement have a big cost and users with 5g cost more bandwith to phone company. 

LTE have an advantage, LTE use less Battery than 5G. 5G is faster but LTE is better on battery.

Have a nice day Smiley

bestanswer-fidostyle.pngmore-fidostyle.png

pwingert

So again, we see flanker brands like freedom offering 5G at $45 a month. We also know that 3G transmitters are being turned off and 4G will soon follow by 2030 5G will start being deprecated and likely be turned off by 2035 in favor of 6G and the new and upcoming 7G. So is Fido going to be held to 3G and 4G to the last millisecond when the transmitters are turned off?

pwingert

Just FYI 5G began wide deployment in 2019 and most items like this are on a three year payback. secondly we now see companies like Freedommobile and chatr offering 5G plans. Finally 5G will be deprecated in 2030 only 7 years away. So if fido can't afford it and the equipment of rogers (Thier parent brand) has already been paid back then how can you justify it on a cost basis unless you are assuming that Fido would have its own network with separate equipment as you base rate calculation for determining if 5G was viable. In the old days paybackj period would be 25 years but that is no longer the case. Atworst you assume a payback period halfway between the wide deployment and the final deprication date when the  next interation of cell technology enter into wide deployment. So on that basis was are  approximately half way through the life cycle of 5G in 2023 and Fido should be following other flanker brands and offing competative plans for 5G access or else it will bne too late if they wait another two years (When most finance contract compele form 2023)  then Fido simply is not a viable renewal option for tradeup and upgrade. By that time two years form now  Fido could be the only flanker brand to not be offering 5G. Admittedly this make several assumptioins but they are valid assumptuins.