Vacation Service Suspension

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Vacation Service Suspension

I called Fido in early April to tell them that I was going overseas and would be shutting my phone off on April 07 and turning the phone back on when I returned to Canada on May 17.  They said that the billing period was passed and they could not do anything for April.  That is not logical - it would not be hard to make an adjustment (Shaw did that for my television and telephone coverage).

Fido said that they could suspend the phone for May but I would have to call them to turn it back on.  Again, no logic - how do I call them to turn my service back on if my phone is not working?

Has anyone had experience with vacation service suspension?

I may be best to cancel the service and find a provider when I return??

Have you had experience with other providers?

Accepted Solution

Re: Vacation Service Suspension

Hey @Durban

Welcome to the Community! 

While we do offer a suspension program, it has to meet certain requirements. The suspension can only be added for a period of minimum 2 months up to 12 months. It has to be added at the beginning of the billing cycle, there's no way around that unfortunately.

Also, there are different ways to reach us while you're away that don't require a call! You can contact us through the Live Chat, through Facebook and even Twitter! And of course, we're always here to help on the community Smiley

We definitely appreciate your feedback and I'll make sure to forward it to the appropriate department. 

Don't hesitate if you have other questions or comments.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey @Durban

Welcome to the Community! 

While we do offer a suspension program, it has to meet certain requirements. The suspension can only be added for a period of minimum 2 months up to 12 months. It has to be added at the beginning of the billing cycle, there's no way around that unfortunately.

Also, there are different ways to reach us while you're away that don't require a call! You can contact us through the Live Chat, through Facebook and even Twitter! And of course, we're always here to help on the community Smiley

We definitely appreciate your feedback and I'll make sure to forward it to the appropriate department. 

Don't hesitate if you have other questions or comments.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

I didn't realize that there was a vacation suspension option. I guess I never really thought about it. So, I could call you in January to let you know I will be going away in February for two months and have my service suspended? That is good to know. Sorry to hear that the OP missed the window on that one. I will definitely keep that in mind.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted

@Original_Lucy its called a temporary suspension and its not for everyone. 

As long as you are not in a contract you can have your account temporarily suspended, you will only be charged $7 for each month you want the account suspended for. The suspension is offered once every 12 months for 2-4 consecutive months.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey guys! 

I just wanted to add some updated information to what KAPABLE-K said. Smiley

KAPABLE-K is mostly correct, however, we recently made some changes. 

Provided you're eligible to suspend your line, we now offer the temporary suspension at $30 per month for 2-12 consecutive months without the need to change your plan. 

Hope this helps!

*Last updated June 28th' 2019. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted

@FidoAmanda thanks for the update.

Is it still once per 12 months period, if I suspend my account for two months then two months later I want to do it again can I?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @KAPABLE-K

That part hasn't changed Smiley It's only possible to request one suspension within a 12-month period. The countdown starts on the first day of the suspension.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

$30 per month is ridiculous to pay for a non-contract service. I would rather close my service and buy something else. FIDO is just trying to leech money from customers and conveniently increased suspension rate from $7/mo to $30/mo.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @appatil89,

We definitely wouldn't want to see you go! We do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, however we need to review our services from time to time to reflect our ongoing investments in our network and services.

There are alternative options though if you find yourself in a situation where you wouldn't need the service for a few months, you can find out more about it on this thread in FidoRanya's post. 

Cheers! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @appatil89 

I just wanted to keep you updated and let you know that the Temporary Suspension in now $7/month and can be added as long as there is no agreement on the account.

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 11