cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling abroad

bennycharles
I'm a participant level 2

I am heading abroad for one year and I am on a two year Fido contract.

I'd like to continue to use my phone but only when wifi service is available (no texting, no phone calls) for internet and WhatsApp.

Do I need to purchase a roaming package if I am only using it when wifi connections are available?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Bennycharles,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, there are no more roaming travel packages for purchase anymore. Customers wishing to use their services outside of Canada will have to do so with Fido Roam or on a pay-per-use basis. If you have not opted out of Fido Roam, any usage of services (voice, outgoing messages, and/or data) outside of Canada will trigger Fido Roam. While incoming SMS will not trigger a Fido Roam charge, you should note that the data within an incoming or outgoing MMS will trigger Fido Roam since it is considered roaming data.

Since you do not intend on using your services while abroad, Fido Roam should not get activated. To ensure Fido Roam does not get triggered, you might consider enabling the Flight or Airplane mode on your phone before you leave Canada. You can then manually enable Wifi to access local area networks. If your device is capable of Wifi-calling, you should note that all outgoing messages and calls to a non-Canadian number will likely result in triggering Fido Roam.

Alternatively, removing the SIM would also prevent any undesired roaming charges. However, the removed SIMs can quite easily get lost.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

bennycharles

Thanks very much for the info. To be sure then, if I do not want to trigger Fido Roam, I should turn on airplane mode and can use wifi networks (by connecting manually).

Just so I'm clear - if I am connected to a wifi network abroad, and I send messages using an app like WhatsApp, or use wifi calling, I am not going to trigger Fido Roam, correct?

Just trying to be sure I understand this part: "If your device is capable of Wifi-calling, you should note that all outgoing messages and calls to a non-Canadian number will likely result in triggering Fido Roam".

Like if I use WhatsApp to call or message over a wifi network, that will trigger Fido Roam? Or it won't?

Thanks, Ben

Hello again,

Yes, if you do not wish to trigger Fido Roam, you should enable airplane mode and then manually enable Wifi when needed.

Wifi-calling is different from making internet calls with apps such as WhatsApp. Wifi-calling is a service provided by the networks. While a phone might be connected to a local area network (Wifi) for a Wifi-call, the call routes through the mobile provider's network via an IP protocol (see graphic here). On the other hand internet calls using apps are connected directly without routing through any providers' network. Note that not all phones are capable of network-routed Wifi-calling.

If you make an internet call or send messages using WhatsApp, it should not trigger Fido Roam. You should ensure that the call and messages are through the app and not via the networks. Enabling airplane mode should prevent unintended calls/messages over the networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

bennycharles

Thank you very much!