cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneeky extra charge

bjad
I'm a participant level 2

Our plan had 1,000 minues per month for calls to the UK for no extra charge.  Never used the feature before. FIDO says plan expired on May 16th.  Call made Jun 3.  No notification of plan expiry yet they continued to charge the same amount.

Tried explaining this an error/misunderstanding....check history....NO GIVE on their FIDO's part.. $1.50 per min for 58 mins plus HST....a wooping $98.31. 'Got you in our web'

The Customer Servise guy accepted and could see 'error/misunderstanding' but no ability to do anything. 

Got you.  Really.

Well will have to start shopping for a new service provider. 

Unhappy customer

8 REPLIES 8

Unfortunately a term promotion is just that. I had a prepaid phone service with an American carrier while I was there with family. I had $100 balance and it carried over with each time I added funds by a certain date. I missed the date by 3 days and poof, it all disappeared. It didn't matter what I said, I was going to have to take the loss and carry on or cancel my number. It still burns a bit, but I have to own it. I just forgot.

Hello Original_Lucy,

Sorry to hear you lost your pre-paid balance with the US carrier. It should be noted that many Canadian pre-paid options have a grace period before balances disappear. With Fido, if you top-up within 7 days after your anniversary date, any expired balance would be restored (see here). It's unfortunate that US carrier did not have a grace period, or that period was so short.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hi Cawtau, yes you're right Canadian carriers will give you a grace period. I was travelling to the U.S. quite a bit pre covid and I have had a "travel phone for 10 years. Cheaper to get a local prepaid SIM card and top up. BUT when you forget, it forgets you. 😆 I still have it, but it still burns that they kept my money. Legacy plan with unlimited call, blah blah blah and 1 GB per day for $2.00 per day of use. You can see why I keep it. 😉

bjad

No one to reach out to. 

Very upsetting. 

They say it was a two year deal. The best of my understanding is that the 2 year deal was a schakel for the payments attached to the new phone until it was paid. Although, paid FIDO continued to grab the same inflated amount had I not called in. 

Trhe monthly ‘statement’ only emphasized amounts due and not expiration of plan. 

Look at it. Never used the 1,000 mins feature. Then use it when ‘expired’. Hello. 

I guess we were suckers to FIDO sneaky trap. :pouting_face::pouting_face:

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @bjad! Smiley

With these promotional offers, they do usually have an expiry date and are usually in the form of a 12 or 24 month offer.

We know that these things can be easy to lose track of so we always provide warnings on your invoices before the promotions expire. Your invoice is a resourceful tool that should always be reviewed so that you're aware of any promotions ending as well as other information regarding your service.

I hope that information clears it up a little. For your balance, you can always reach out to credit operations via *732 on your Fido phone to make a payment arrangement. 

bjad

Does not change anything. 

Its money grab and and everything to do with Corporate culture. 

Has left me with bad taste. 

Sad indeed. 

That is certainly not our intention! 

If you'd like to discuss this further, don't hesitate to reach out here for assistance. 

We'd hate to see you go. Sad 

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi ! 

I hope you can help him Smiley with an gift or credit or something!